Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I use the car wifi with a laptop but the distance I can use it from the car is rather limited (maybe 10-15 feet away?). I'd like to be able to pick up the car wifi signal a little further away. I contacted OnStar and they say that's about as far as it goes and they have no plans to boost it.

Does anyone know of a way to boost the wifi signal so it's stronger and I can go further way and still connect to the car? I think the cost of using the car wifi is cheaper than having an air card and it would be perfect for me with the added range.
Thank you
DAVE

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't think this is all that common so you may not find and exact answer because I have no idea how you would connect the Bolt wirelessly to a wifi extender.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do you want to have unknown guests in other cars using (and kidnapping) your WiFi? It was designed and assembled for interior use only. Be glad that it works! Many of us (myself included) don't have that feature at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Bazinga and Raymondjram,
You know, a wifi extender might just be worth trying. I might be able to pit one of those little wifi extenders ($20-$30 bucks) into an A/C plug in the laundry room and connect it wirelessly to the car (as if using a lap top) and see if that will throw the signal further out. Good idea Bazinga... I think I'll give that a shot.

As to others connecting, I'm speaking of using at home in garage. Even with that, hackers would need to know my strong security password to get in (like any other home network). Although still tapping into Bazinga's idea- I don't think those little range extenders use much power, I suppose a little DC to AC converter would be sufficient to use in the field to get a little more range (if using laptop in the park or something outside). Sounds like something else to play around with.

Thank you both for the thoughts and ideas.
DAVE

·
Registered
989 Posts
Don't forget, you have a data cap on the cars access point. You might find yourself exceeding the limit and pay extra for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts