Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a Cajun Red 2017 Bolt beauty. I was wondering if after 3 months, I should stay with free OnStar plan or upgrade. I would value input from the experienced. Thanks

Rasika

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I had a 2012 Volt, it came with Onstar for 3-years for free... never used it even once in the three years I owned it!

Since the Bolt can use Android Auto/Apple Carplay there seems to be no need to pay for Onstar after the trial ends.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was wondering if after 3 months, I should stay with free OnStar plan or upgrade.
I wasn't aware there was a free OnStar plan after free trial. What does that include? The dealer signed me up for the OnStar free trial when I bought mine used a month ago. I got an email yesterday from Sirius and learned I have a free trial from them too. Wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I wasn't aware there was a free OnStar plan after free trial. What does that include?
Free is the basic. Per my last e-mail from OnStar:

You've got OnStar Basic Connectivity, which includes limited vehicle app services like remote start, lock and unlock; a monthly Advanced Diagnostics report; OnStar Smart Driver and more, at no cost.

In the footnotes, OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to five years from the original delivery date

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just found out I can get discount from state farm if I configure my onstar with them under drive safe and save . State farm never told me I had to figure it out myself . I did sign up for the base level of
onstar for $199/yr Protection plan . The 3 month trial included guidance plan which had navigation but that cost $350/yr I decided to go with my garmin. I don't have a smartphone . if I get in accident where airbags go off then onstar will be alerted and send help which I consider handy "if" it happens , has not happened yet . I can't wait for self driving cars to become popular , too many distracted drivers in GA !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few months back (also own a 2017 Cajun Red) when my Onstar expired, I called fully expecting to switch to just the free minimal plan. I expected some sales pressure which did come, but to my surprise they ultimately offered me an option I thought was reasonable. For $10 a month, I still get the accident alert which I did choose for added piece of mind. As others noted, I never once used any navigation related feature dating back to my 2013 Volt as I had other superior navigation options already. There were times with my Volt that contact to the 'Volt Adviser' proved helpful - for example with a service dispute with a less than ethical Las Vegas dealer and also ironically with a Navigation issue (posted on forums) that GM was never able to fix. But with service so minimal with the Bolt, and no issues to date - I felt no need for contact to a 'Bolt Adviser' (not even sure if they still have them or not).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts