Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience using these chargers? OpenEVSE seems have some very nice features. That Clipper Creek and Juice Box 40amp chargers don't have. They're also in same price range and build quality. $600 for pre built assembled in USA includes 3 year warranty. Or kit only $435 looks fairly easy put together good guides.
https://www.openevse.com/

Additional options with OpenEVSE:

-Level 1/2 Charging auto selects 120/240 volt
-Time clock for schedule charging
-Adjustable output current 6A-40A in 2amp increments

I have national grid in Massachusetts off peak hours during night only 4.3¢/kWh vrs regular 14.8¢/kWh during day. So schedule on off charging is a must for me. And with the voltage/amp adjustment feature allows you to pull max current on any type of outlet. 10/15/20 amp 120v plugs or 20/30/50 amp 250v plugs. Extremely versatile and portable.

Also found a guy in NV that makes some very cool custom OpenEVSE chargers.
https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/all

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anybody have experience using these chargers? OpenEVSE seems have some very nice features. That Clipper Creek and Juice Box 40amp chargers don't have. They're also in same price range and build quality. $600 for pre built assembled in USA includes 3 year warranty. Or kit only $435 looks fairly easy put together good guides.
https://www.openevse.com/

Additional options with OpenEVSE:

-Level 1/2 Charging auto selects 120/240 volt
-Time clock for schedule charging
-Adjustable output current 6A-40A in 2amp increments

I have national grid in Massachusetts off peak hours during night only 4.3¢/kWh vrs regular 14.8¢/kWh during day. So schedule on off charging is a must for me. And with the voltage/amp adjustment feature allows you to pull max current on any type of outlet. 10/15/20 amp 120v plugs or 20/30/50 amp 250v plugs. Extremely versatile and portable.

Also found a guy in NV that makes some very cool custom OpenEVSE chargers.
https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/all
I've read on here and other places that there is no way to have the car charge faster than 12A on 120V, this is apparently a limitation set by the vehicle. I haven't actually seen anyone that has tried an EVSE that is capable of 16A at 120V (or 24A at 120V for that matter). So far, it appears to be mostly speculation - though I agree it is likely true.

I will also note, since this is a Bolt forum, that the max 240V charge rate is 32A. It would be useful for a few other vehicles out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well 20A @ 120V outlets are fairly rare. Most are 10-15amps anyways, be nice though if car took 20A At least with open evse I be able to get full 16amps on a 20A 120V outlet.
I see lots people using 240V open evse on leafs and it has a much smaller on board charger. EV's only pull what they need in power. Could also turn down output amps to lets say 25A. That allow you to plug a high 40-50A open evse charger into a smaller 30A 240V dryer plug for example. People have done this too with open evse.

Think open evse charger the way to go very flexible. Going give it a try and be guinea pig with it on a bolt.

·
Registered
782 Posts
several co-workers have Open EVSE and they work fine - regarding scheduling most EV's have charger scheduling and therefore the charger having it is a non-issue…

the Bolt's scheduling software is bit hard to setup - but it works once you get it configured.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
several co-workers have Open EVSE and they work fine - regarding scheduling most EV's have charger scheduling and therefore the charger having it is a non-issue…

the Bolt's scheduling software is bit hard to setup - but it works once you get it configured.
Didn't know you cold do charge scheduling via the bolt. So car sends signals to the charger to turn on and off? Or does charger stay on and car stops power from being used?

Also SparkE think with right charger don't see why can't charge [email protected] if car is rated and panel breaker rated for it. I will try when I get a bolt.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Didn't know you cold do charge scheduling via the bolt. So car sends signals to the charger to turn on and off? Or does charger stay on and car stops power from being used?

Also SparkE think with right charger don't see why can't charge [email protected] if car is rated and panel breaker rated for it. I will try when I get a bolt.
J-1772 cars are always in control - and the charger being “on” is a vague statement.

Most J-1772 chargers are always on - but very little (if any) power is being used - for power to flow the car has to accept the current being provided - so the car can turn the the flow on/off and the J-1772 EVSE is in the business of letting the current flow when requested.

Therefore the car can schedule itself for charging…

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well from videos I watch of the open evse charger contactor doesn't contact till you press start button on the charger. So guess what getting to is does the J-1772 signals from the car over ride the start button and turn on the contactor on in the charger. Think only way going figure it out is to experiment with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darn that stinks. What brand/model charger? Sure its 16A out? I notice chargers input amp rating always significantly higher then actual out to car. Guessing to account for crappy wiring in wall or long cable runs. So it doesn't trip the panel breaker in the building. Think with a programmable output could get higher. But then again 4A on 120V only 480watts extra power, really not much. Suppose not really worth it.
I'm just thinking if your at friends house or something and they have a 20A 120V plug in basement/workshop. Be nice to get that little extra power over night/day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Darn that stinks. What brand/model charger? Sure its 16A out? I notice chargers input amp rating always significantly higher then actual out to car. Guessing to account for crappy wiring in wall or long cable runs. So it doesn't trip the panel breaker in the building. Think with a programmable output could get higher. But then again 4A on 120V only 480watts extra power, really not much. Suppose not really worth it.
I'm just thinking if your at friends house or something and they have a 20A 120V plug in basement/workshop. Be nice to get that little extra power over night/day.

It's pretty clear from the Bolt interface that it will only charge 120V at 8 or 12 amps. You have to choose between the two in the controls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok makes sense [email protected] for 10A circuit and [email protected] for 15A circuit. So no way bolt can do [email protected] for 20A circuit. Oh well. Think should be new law in future when have million EV's on the road. That grid company's have put a 240V 50A plug to meter lol That be so nice.

I'm debating buying a 50/100ft 10 gauge extension cord with a open evse charger and put in the trunk. So I can plug into 240V dryer plug to charge faster. One my friends has a cabin in rural VT no DC fast chargers around there and its a 200mile drive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok makes sense [email protected]8A for 10A circuit and [email protected] for 15A circuit. So no way bolt can do [email protected] for 20A circuit. Oh well. Think should be new law in future when have million EV's on the road. That grid company's have put a 240V 50A plug to meter lol That be so nice.

I'm debating buying a 50/100ft 10 gauge extension cord with a open evse charger and put in the trunk. So I can plug into 240V dryer plug to charge faster. One my friends has a cabin in rural VT no DC fast chargers around there and its a 200mile drive.
I carry a modified Tesla UMC (J-1772 modification) in the trunk of my Bolt - it can charge 120/240v and has many many many adapters…so yeah I can charge at various 120/240 volt plugs that I encounter at friends/familyh's houses.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
The portable EVSE that comes with the Bolt is capable of 240V operation, but is still limited to 12A. All that is necessary is to create a pigtail that plugs into the NEMA 5-15P plug on the EVSE and has the appropriate bits for to plug into a 240V socket like an L6-30, NEMA 14-50, dryer outlet, etc. Basically you are connecting a second 120V leg to the EVSE. There's a guy on the GM-Volt forum who makes them for people for about 50 or 60 bucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That nice the portable EVSE with bolt works on 240V too. I still going get higher amp portable charger. Almost everybody has a 30amp electric dryer plug. Be very nice use that. Only issue is dryer plug may be far from where car is parked. So would have bring a heavy 10 gauge cord if wanted to pull over 15A

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I still going get higher amp portable charger. Almost everybody has a 30amp electric dryer plug. Be very nice use that.
I chose the Tesla UMC and a J-Adapter. There are two nice things about having this combo:

• You can get pigtails for standard 120V outlets and for 30A and 50A 240V outlets, and the charger advertises the correct current for each plug type. That means you can charge from pretty much any AC outlet you happen to run across and get the full benefit from it.
and

• As well as letting you use the Tesla UMC, the J-Adapter also lets you use a Tesla destination charger if you arrive at a charging location that has one and all the J1772 chargers are busy or broken.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The Tesla Gen 2 UMC is:

1. $300 from Tesla site
2. rugged
3. mostly water proof
4. functional with 120/240 volts - range of amps from 12-32
5. has multiple adapter available for different type of plugs you might encounter in the wild.
6. highly portable

it's really about the best EVSE going for $300 + $250 for a Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks like the Tesla Gen 2 UMC is now $520
I found one of the adapters and it looks to be $250.

So $770 plus tax/shipping is the best deal?

I guess the benefit of this set up (vs just buying a portable L2 charger is that the adapter allows you to charge at a Tesla Destination charger.

I am looking to be able to charge at RV camps on long trips.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This guys says the Bolt OEM charger is by Clipper Creek and works on 240V, so looks like it's easy to get a 3.3W charger at home just by getting a 240V receptacle installed and add an adapter!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
20 Participants
NightHawk
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing