Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
This guys says the Bolt OEM charger is by Clipper Creek and works on 240V, so looks like it's easy to get a 3.3W charger at home just by getting a 240V receptacle installed and add an adapter!
Yes. It has been done by many. But it only signals for 12 amps to the car, so 240 V x 12 A = 2.88 kW

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, 2.88KW for 8 hr is 23KW... that's like 1/3 of the battery. If L1 is just not enough, this is a cheap solution instead of spending $500-$1K.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually, getting a portable one from Creeper Creek plus add a 240V socket would just cost $500, no need for wired in versions that cost $500 for the EVSE plus $500 for install.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This guys says the Bolt OEM charger is by Clipper Creek and works on 240V, so looks like it's easy to get a 3.3W charger at home just by getting a 240V receptacle installed and add an adapter!
There are at least 4 recent threads on this site that discusses running the OEM EVSE at 240V. Take a look for examples of adapters and usage. BTW it's 2.8 kW, not 3.3 kW. Some folks jokingly call it charging level 1.5.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an OpenEVSE. It was fun to assemble (it’s mostly screwing and connecting things vs “building”) and goes to 40Amso somewhat future proof. With the WiFi board you can monitor and remote start it.

It has an internal timer that I set to coincide with our discounted electric rates or you can manually activate it by tapping the button. It does some fun stuff if you like to nerd out like communicating via MQTT.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ok makes sense [email protected] for 10A circuit and [email protected] for 15A circuit. So no way bolt can do [email protected] for 20A circuit. Oh well. Think should be new law in future when have million EV's on the road. That grid company's have put a 240V 50A plug to meter lol That be so nice.

I'm debating buying a 50/100ft 10 gauge extension cord with a open evse charger and put in the trunk. So I can plug into 240V dryer plug to charge faster. One my friends has a cabin in rural VT no DC fast chargers around there and its a 200mile drive.
A 12AWG extension is probably adequate. Good for 20A. I've used mine to feed a 16A/240V EVSE, and the only part that got detectably warm was where it was coiled tightly (10"). 12AWG is a lot easier to find, too. Pricey, though. Probably 25% higher price than last year...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like the Tesla Gen 2 UMC is now $520
I found one of the adapters and it looks to be $250.
The current price I'm seeing on the Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is $275. It now only comes with the 120V adapter plug (it used to also include the 14-50P adapter for 240V use), so the 240V adapter will add to that price a bit.

That page doesn't mention anything about 240 volt adapters or 32A charging levels. I have an inquiry in to them to find out if thay have changed the design to eliminate that capability, or just have a poorly written description page.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The current price I'm seeing on the Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is $275. It now only comes with the 120V adapter plug (it used to also include the 14-50P adapter for 240V use), so the 240V adapter will add to that price a bit.

That page doesn't mention anything about 240 volt adapters or 32A charging levels. I have an inquiry in to them to find out if thay have changed the design to eliminate that capability, or just have a poorly written description page.
looks like you can buy one of these adapters to change the voltage. Hopefully someone chimes in to confirm. Agree that they should at least have a spec sheet link for the unit.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
And, sorry, I know what an EVSE is, but what does it stand for? "Electric Vehicle....what?"
Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE). Rolls right off the tongue. Not.

Edit: Spent my career in Aerospace and used the term GSE, for ground support equipment. Wish they used support instead of service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have two Open EVSEs, one I built from a kit in early 2013 and the other I built from a kit around last November. They both work fine. The kit I put together last year requires no soldering, just bolt in the components and connect the wires. Took maybe an hour to assemble. It is the Advanced kit with wireless, so it will notify you when charging is complete. Also can set it to add x kWh energy or charge for x minutes.

Cost for the EVSE kit is $299, J1772 cable is $159, power cord is $39 or make your own. The kit without wifi is cheaper. I've used a lot of different EVSE. I like the Open EVSE because it is small and weather resistant. Plus Chris was the first to offer a low cost EVSE, years before Valery's company introduced the Juicebox and when Clipper Creek, Chargepoint, and others were selling for far higher cost.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
20 Participants
NightHawk
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing