Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back from the school bus stop this morning I see a newspaper in my driveway. When I pull into the driveway, I open the driver's door a few inches while still moving (maybe 5 MPH) and as soon as I open the door, the car comes to a grinding halt, shifts to Park, and puts the emergency brake on. Really GM? I just wanted to see when to stop so I could pick up the paper without getting out of the car. I wasn't planning on committing suicide or throwing a child or pet out the door while moving!

So I ended up grinding off a pound of some sort of mystery meat inside the gearbox... and still had to get out of the car to get the paper. I long for the days when you could open a door while doing 50 MPH to check on a ticking sound, etc. without so much as a beep. Back then, if you wanted to do something truly idiotic while opening your door in motion... it got fixed with a Darwin Award. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess you could roll your window down and hang your head out the door to look for the paper...or is that not "allowed" either.

Agree - too many "Nanny" functions in this car. I guess the price we pay for modern technology.

The incessant BONG BONG BONG BONG every time I open the driver door is #1 on my KILL list.

I will eventually find the wire going to the door speaker and install a ON/OFF rocker switch.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
And, yet, it was exactly those (many) features that dropped my insurance premium by $500 per year. {These safety features are not necessarily EV related. My wife's 2018 hybrid also has many of the same features. It is more of a "newer car" phenomenon.}

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't know what you guys are talking about.
Yesterday, thinking that a noise I heard was outside the car, I opened the driver door a few inches at 25mph to check, and had no such reaction by the car.
Maybe you just need to speed up to snag the newspaper, or mount a hook on the car like the original US Airmail, where they snagged the mailbag from an airplane?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yesterday, thinking that a noise I heard was outside the car, I opened the driver door a few inches at 25mph to check, and had no such reaction by the car.
Maybe you just need to speed up to snag the newspaper, or mount a hook on the car like the original US Airmail, where they snagged the mailbag from an airplane?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If I recall, the owners manual states what speeds the parking/emergency brake will and will not disengage. At the higher speeds, it doesn't kick in.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Liability issues.
Lawyers and high monetary awards.
Outrageous settlements.
Stupid people.
Stupid people who blame others for their stupidity.
People who don't take responsibility.
The above elements, when proportionally out of balance are PART of the reason that many safety systems exist.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I did the same thing, but to grab a Bolt and screw in the road, my road, so no one would run it over - like me.
Same thing happened. Wonder if it also was because I took off the seal belt.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had I known Nanny McPhee was watching, I'm sure I could have used the 360 cameras to stop where I needed to before opening the door. I just thought it was a silly occurrence.

Mike

·
Registered
439 Posts
Seriously guys....it is not hard to just stop the car....open the door...and reach down or get out to grab your paper. The car may be a wee but “nanny” as you put it but it is doing the right thing.

With all due respect people are just getting more and more lazier it seems. I mean HEAVEN FORBID if a person gets their paper on foot. LOL!!!!!

Again no offense meant.

Reactions: paulgipe

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No, the nannies are just seriously out of control. You really think it's a good idea to grind off your parking pawl because you cracked the door while going 5 MPH? HEAVEN FORBID you're not at a COMPLETE stop while BELTED when you open the door! There are plenty of reasons why you might want to roll slowly with the door cracked and slamming it into park suddenly while doing that could actually be dangerous. You may be trying to judge distance from a curb in a dark/tight spot while parking. You might be trying to creep while judging alignment when pulling the car onto (or off of) ramps or aligning it on a lift. Etc.

And here's another ridiculous example. I use a car wash that has a conveyor belt and the wheelbase of the car and the hard tires make it tend to ride over the stops on the belt at the end of the wash. So the front wheels are sitting on the little asphalt lip where the belt ends at the exit and the car sometimes just hangs there and the rear tires just jump the raised bumpers on the belt one by one while the car rolls backward on the belt. If you don't do something, they have to stop the belt before the car behind you runs into you. There's an easy solution... that is, if nannies didn't ruin it. You are instructed to have the car in neutral but if you engage the parking brake after all 4 tires are on the belt, it doesn't roll back over the stops and at the end, the front tires roll perfectly onto the asphalt without the rear tires rolling backward (because the parking brake only engages the rear wheels). Then once the front tires clear the asphalt lip, you can just disengage the parking brake by pushing down on the parking brake button before the rear tires exit the belt. Except you can't: the nannies won't let you disengage the parking brake by just pushing down on the button to release it. No... you're not allowed to release the parking brake unless you are standing on the regular brakes. OR you disengage them by putting it in gear and then pressing the accelerator. Sorry, but a parking brake button should act like a parking brake handle: when I say engage, I mean engage and when I say disengage, I mean disengage!

In this latter instance, once again the nannies made things more dangerous by deciding I really shouldn't be able to disengage the parking break when I told it to. I had to scramble and try to quickly figure out that I had to switch from neutral to D and then press the accelerator to release the parking brake in order to get the car to roll off the conveyor belt before the car behind me hit me.

Mike

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You really think it's a good idea to grind off your parking pawl because you cracked the door while going 5 MPH?
We've been over this numerous times on the forum. The “grinding” sound you hear is not the parking pawl, it's the low-speed emergency braking system.

And, to forestall further posts on the matter, here's how it plays out: “No it isn't, I'm totally sure”, “Yes it damñ well is!”, “But blah blah blah”, “Actually, Blah blah blah”, “But…”, “Actually…”, “Okay fine, it's the low-speed emergency braking system, I guess, but still, I could have been right anyway, even though I was actually totally wrong.”

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've been over this numerous times on the forum. The “grinding” sound you hear is not the parking pawl, it's the low-speed emergency braking system.

And, to forestall further posts on the matter, here's how it plays out: “No it isn't, I'm totally sure”, “Yes it damñ well is!”, “But blah blah blah”, “Actually, Blah blah blah”, “But…”, “Actually…”, “Okay fine, it's the low-speed emergency braking system, I guess, but still, I could have been right anyway, even though I was actually totally wrong.”
Actually LOL. Yeah, I've read the other back-and-forths. I base my statement on the parking pawl on the following "logic":

(1) First and foremost, the Bolt completes the engagement to "Park" before it has come to rest and it continues to move forward about a foot after "Park" is engaged. Unless the indicator is lying, there is no way to truly be in "Park" and move forward more than an inch or two without ratcheting of the parking pawl.

(2) I've heard the emergency braking system engage from approximately the same speed before and bring the car to a stop. It sounds nothing like the ratcheting I heard when I opened the door.

But the real evidence is #1. I repeated the door opening twice and both times it switched from L to P and the car rolled forward another 10-12 inches after the "Park" indicator was lit. If the car was truly in park while the wheels turned those last 10-12 inches, the parking pawl did ratchet over several teeth on the parking "gear": it has no choice.

Mike

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
So I ended up grinding off a pound of some sort of mystery meat inside the gearbox...
I repeated the door opening twice...
So I guess you weren't all that terribly concerned about the mystery meat?

I repeated the door opening twice...
the parking pawl did ratchet over several teeth on the parking "gear": it has no choice.
The gear teeth and the pawl are rounded at their tips so that the pawl won't engage until the car has slowed almost to a stop. It's designed to withstand this happening occasionally, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess you weren't all that terribly concerned about the mystery meat?
Not particularly. Plus being mystery meat, I figured doing it a couple times might solve the mystery. Besides, it's Chevy's baby for at least another 2.5 years. If it breaks because they make decisions to put the car into park while it is still rolling, they can fix it under warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
But the real evidence is #1. I repeated the door opening twice and both times it switched from L to P and the car rolled forward another 10-12 inches after the "Park" indicator was lit. If the car was truly in park while the wheels turned those last 10-12 inches, the parking pawl did ratchet over several teeth on the parking "gear": it has no choice.

Mike
Let's start with clarification the the vehicle has the automatic braking option. I can only speak for the automatic braking version. I have a Premier with the forward collision avoidance.

I once thought the same thing that it has to be teeth skipping on the pawl, but there is a error in your logic. The parking pawl does not have that many "teeth" to skip, you would have to roll a few feet to have that many clicks. When it "shifts" to park and engages the pawl, the motor Drive Motor Position Sensor has to show the car is "stopped", or it will not engage. If the Drive Motor Position Sensor detects it is rolling, it applies the low-speed emergency braking system and / or the parking brake. It is the noise from the automatic braking actuator and happens when you are rolling and open the door and unbuckle the seat belt at the same time.

It also happens when you push the park button and are rolling a very little bit. It does not have 20 teeth to skip in a few inches or travel when this happens. It sounds awful, but there is no mechanical wear or interference happening, just the actuator noise.

Try it yourself. Push the park button (without pressing the brake pedal) while rolling very slowly 1-2 inches a second. You will hear what sounds like 20 teeth missing the pawl, but it is pumping up the hydraulic brake, not skipping the teeth. You can see the brake pressure increase if you monitor it with a service tool. I tried to find the description of how this works in the service manual, but it is over 6,000 pages and I only found referance to the rear parking brake operation.

Reactions: Vertiformed

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The parking pawl does not have that many "teeth" to skip, you would have to roll a few feet to have that many clicks.
Two things are relevant here. First, I didn't say I heard it clack through a hundred teeth. Instead, what I heard/felt was a "buzzing" sound that may very well be the emergency braking system but there were also 10 or so bigger "bumps" that could have been the pawl ratcheting. In addition, the Bolt's final drive ratio is 7.05:1 meaning that the motor turns about 7 times for every rotation of the drive wheels. Since the parking gear is in the transmission, if that parking gear is on the motor side of the gearing, it skips the equivalent of 7x as many "teeth" for one full wheel rotation as are physically present on the parking gear. The Weber Auto motor deep dive video shows that the parking gear has 12 teeth around it's circumference. With the 7:1 final drive ratio, it'd skip 84 times over one full rotation of the front wheels. The circumference of the tires are 80 inches so that's close to 1 click per inch of forward travel.

What I said is still true: if the car is actually put into park even a few inches before it comes to a complete stop, it's going to ratchet the parking pawl. Now, you're saying that can't happen and that the car can't be put into park while still moving... but... if I go by the "P" indicator on the shifter, it did happen! That "P" light came on at least 6 inches prior to the car being at a full stop, and I'm being very conservative as I think it was closer to 8-10 inches. I'm willing to accept that maybe the light comes on prior to the transmission actually BEING in park, and maybe everything you said is true. But it's a little disconcerting to see the shifter indicate "P" while the car is still moving and remain in park for the last 6-12 inches of travel.

Mike

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
GM isn't the only car maker that places the vehicle in Park when a door opens... below is from the Tesla Model 3 owners manual:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess you could roll your window down and hang your head out the door to look for the paper...or is that not "allowed" either.

Agree - too many "Nanny" functions in this car. I guess the price we pay for modern technology.

The incessant BONG BONG BONG BONG every time I open the driver door is #1 on my KILL list.

I will eventually find the wire going to the door speaker and install a ON/OFF rocker switch.
Love this

I also place the incessant BONG BONG BONG BONG every time I open the driver door as the Top of my kill List !
Returning sweaty from frequent hikes, I have in previous cars been able to sit with the door open , Listening to the radio while I change shoes and shirt. Not with my 2019 Bolt ! I love this car , Love it. But boy how this boinging drills my brain. If anyone knows of a solution, I'll buy em a Beer . How does the Bolt "know" that the door is open ,can it be spoofed with a Magnet or a little electromagnetic pulse ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two things are relevant here. First, I didn't say I heard it clack through a hundred teeth. Instead, what I heard/felt was a "buzzing" sound that may very well be the emergency braking system but there were also 10 or so bigger "bumps" that could have been the pawl ratcheting. In addition, the Bolt's final drive ratio is 7.05:1 meaning that the motor turns about 7 times for every rotation of the drive wheels. Since the parking gear is in the transmission, if that parking gear is on the motor side of the gearing, it skips the equivalent of 7x as many "teeth" for one full wheel rotation as are physically present on the parking gear. The Weber Auto motor deep dive video shows that the parking gear has 12 teeth around it's circumference. With the 7:1 final drive ratio, it'd skip 84 times over one full rotation of the front wheels. The circumference of the tires are 80 inches so that's close to 1 click per inch of forward travel.

What I said is still true: if the car is actually put into park even a few inches before it comes to a complete stop, it's going to ratchet the parking pawl. Now, you're saying that can't happen and that the car can't be put into park while still moving... but... if I go by the "P" indicator on the shifter, it did happen! That "P" light came on at least 6 inches prior to the car being at a full stop, and I'm being very conservative as I think it was closer to 8-10 inches. I'm willing to accept that maybe the light comes on prior to the transmission actually BEING in park, and maybe everything you said is true. But it's a little disconcerting to see the shifter indicate "P" while the car is still moving and remain in park for the last 6-12 inches of travel.

Mike
The parking pawl engages on the intermediate shaft in the transmission so it doesn't go through the whole 7.05:1 gearing, more like 2.65:1.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts