Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For long trips, it matters what your next charging station would be... seems if next stop is L2, better to drive slowly. And if it is a DCFC, then drive speed limit or faster.
(I based the efficiency on the reference range in abetterrouteplanner

Case: Empty battery from 100% to 0% and charger avail is a...
Speed (MPH)Efficiency=RangeDrivingL2 ChgTotalEffective MPH
Speed (MPH)Efficiency=RangeDriving30 KW DCTotalEffective MPH
Case: 175 miles from the next charge and charger avail is a...
Speed (MPH)Efficiency=RangeDrivingL2 ChgTotalEffective MPH
Speed (MPH)Efficiency=RangeDriving30 KW DCTotalEffective MPH

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a lot of driving in the 62mph range and the 82mph range. I am excited for bigger or better batteries in the coming years. Since I don't charge generally away from home my focus is on the battery not the charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
While you're going on so many tangents here, I'd wondered if you did any analysis of ROI? Specifically for the larger demographic which charges at home. I consider the Bolt to be very similar to a Spark in body size/style. And we know that the Spark is 5 figures cheaper than a Bolt. Gas around me is typically $2.49/gallon and electricity is very cheap. How long before you break even with the Bolt than say a Spark or that other Chevy that also looks like a Bolt?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just did a projected TCO of my RAV4 Hybrid and the Bolt... did not account for time value of money.
Gasoline @ $3 a gallon
Electricity @ 1 cent a mile (EV charging 4 cents winter, 5 cents summer).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you're going on so many tangents here, I'd wondered if you did any analysis of ROI? Specifically for the larger demographic which charges at home. I consider the Bolt to be very similar to a Spark in body size/style. And we know that the Spark is 5 figures cheaper than a Bolt. Gas around me is typically $2.49/gallon and electricity is very cheap. How long before you break even with the Bolt than say a Spark or that other Chevy that also looks like a Bolt?
Spark vs Bolt are different cars... this would be like asking for a comparison between Corolla and Camry... different classes, IMHO.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Spark vs Bolt are different cars... this would be like asking for a comparison between Corolla and Camry... different classes, IMHO.
Ummmmm, according to Chevrolet and the EPA they have classified the Spark and the Bolt as subcompact cars/hatchbacks. They have different propulsion systems but otherwise they are in the same class and the comparison of them from an ROI standpoint is a valid question. So, you call these two cars different classes but then compare the Rav4? Toyota and the EPA classify the RAV4 as a SMALL SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE. I pointed out a 5 figure difference in price, but you bring the Rav4 which is fairly the same price. Let me reword my question. The Spark which is $20,000 cheaper getting 30/38mpg versus the Bolt, the price difference between a Spark and the Bolt would buy a lot of gas. The Spark is 20 inches shorter, but the body style has a lot of similarities. In fact, it can fool you now and then to think you might be looking at a Bolt. The Sonic, now that is even closer to the Bolt in specs, and also, looks surprisingly similar. Take a look at all three taken from chevy's website:

The red one is the Spark, to me, looks like the Bolt. Smaller tires, taller antenna. Similar, not exact. IMHO, an SUV is not the same as a subcompact.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Who is the one going on tangents here? The thread is clearly labelled "Optimizing driving + charge time", which is what he discussed. Please bring the TCO discussion (which is another interesting and valid discussion) to another thread.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For long trips, it matters what your next charging station would be... seems if next stop is L2, better to drive slowly. And if it is a DCFC, then drive speed limit or faster.
Thanks for the analysis. I've heard the rule of thumb that your average driving power should be about equal to your average charging power to optimize time spent. While I'm sure that's not perfect, it seems to be a good rule of thumb.

It is more complex than your table, unfortunately, due to the tapering of charge rates and non-optimal placement of chargers.

I like ABRP's integration of charging time. They really do try to move you from the charger once you have enough to make it with your specified margin (10% upon arrival at the charger is default I think). I tend to play it more conservative in real life, adding more time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Optimizing drive/charge times is something I find ABetterRoutePlanner does well. You may not be able to customize it to enter your own speeds, but it does a pretty good job keeping you near the speed limit so as not to make you a road hazard.

Mike

·
Registered
636 Posts
Who is the one going on tangents here? The thread is clearly labelled "Optimizing driving + charge time", which is what he discussed. Please bring the TCO discussion (which is another interesting and valid discussion) to another thread.
I guess that's me. I truly thought at the time that optimizing driving has everything to do with the cost of driving the vehicle. When I look to see the rate I've been burning electrons, it's not because I'm worried the car will charge an extra 10 minutes in the garage. I bought the car to save money, and that's clearly a focus if you go to Chevrolet.com and look at what they are spewing, it's not to save the planet. I'm not at all interested in the TCO but the ROI of the purchase for the benefit of those of us who won't be driving the vehicle into the ground. I don't want you to get any more triggered so I took my discussion to a Tesla forum on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guess that's me. I truly thought at the time that optimizing driving has everything to do with the cost of driving the vehicle. When I look to see the rate I've been burning electrons, it's not because I'm worried the car will charge an extra 10 minutes in the garage. I bought the car to save money, and that's clearly a focus if you go to Chevrolet.com and look at what they are spewing, it's not to save the planet. I'm not at all interested in the TCO but the ROI of the purchase for the benefit of those of us who won't be driving the vehicle into the ground. I don't want you to get any more triggered so I took my discussion to a Tesla forum on it.
I apologize for my wording. I was not triggered, just suggesting another thread. It's a valid discussion wrt the Bolt as well as any Tesla, so let's have the discussion. Just not on a thread about travel time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I apologize for my wording. I was not triggered, just suggesting another thread. It's a valid discussion wrt the Bolt as well as any Tesla, so let's have the discussion. Just not on a thread about travel time.
Thank you, point taken. A lot of threads go south on this forum, I'll do my best to not be the cause of them in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts