Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from a meeting with DEQ and have some welcome news for Oregon residents that purchased/leased in 2018 - The first rebate checks should go out this week.

They are currently processing Jan '18 submissions, and will proceed month-by-month to get checks to everyone that has submitted an application. If you are an Oregon resident that purchased/leased an EV, you have 6 mos from the transaction date to apply.

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/Pages/ZEV-Rebate.aspx

They are also working very hard to get the rebate available as a "Cash on the hood" point of sale rebate by the end of the year for those still contemplating a purchase. Dealers will have to sign up for the program (which is still being finalized), so will be a very short window. But if the State bringing a $2,500 down payment to the table for you helps seal the deal, it's definitely worth pursuing.

For those low to moderate income households looking at the Charge Ahead program (an additional $2,500 that can also be applied to used vehicles), it is still 3 to 6 months out as they have to bring systems up that can securely handle sensitive financial info required for income verification.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I've never considered a new vehicle purchase before, but if I can somehow figure out how to have both $7,500 in federal tax liability, and qualify for the moderate income bonus $2,500, then it would push me into a purchase. That would be $12,500 back, which should offset the first year depreciation.

I'm generally against subsidies, and especially ones framed as Oregon government giving you money, when it's actually taken from dealerships (which I also despise in general), but I don't like to pass up a good deal either.

Our used EVs could potentially increase in value once these subsidies dry up, especially if fuel prices increase.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Charge Ahead rules are still very much a work in progress (and the primary focus of the meeting).

There is only one other State EV rebate with income restrictions (CA), and OR is using that as a model. One key difference is likely to be the definition of "Household". CA rules say anyone living under the same roof is a member of the same household. So someone living with 4 roommates would need to report all of their income (and provide their Tax Returns) to be eligible. OR is hoping to have a more realistic definition of household.

Current status of the Charge Ahead program is they have just issued a RFP (EV rebates will all eventually be handled by a 3rd party non-profit). It will likely take several months after they have identified a contractor to get everything in place and fully functional. There is a preliminary tool that calculates the income level that would qualify for your particular address and household size. But keep in mind that neither household or income have been fully defined.
https://www.deq.state.or.us/ocvrp

There is also likely to be a 2nd "fix it" package presented to the legislature. Among the issues to be addressed include refining the requirement to pay back the rebate in full if the car is not continually registered in Oregon for at least 24 months (if totaled in an accident, vehicle stolen, job loss/relocation, etc). There will likely be some exceptions or provisions and/or a prorated repayment.

I never cease to be amazed that the government can get anything done. The laundry list of agency acronyms that had to be involved with the prospect of, and rules about, the handling of personal financial information was pretty incredible. The eventual contract winner is certainly going to have their hands full.

There was even talk of having a State mandate requiring dealers to disclose to every purchaser (BEV or PHEV) that rebates may be available. Likely result would likely be another piece of paper to sign (like the odometer disclosure). Most felt that the dealers would have enough incentive to tell people about free money they could use to purchase, but others felt consumer protection rules were necessary. Even if someone makes a purchase/lease without knowing a rebate was available, they have 6 months to figure it out and apply. When in doubt, the default choice should be NOT adding a rule/law/mandate/form.

And the money doesn't come from the dealers, it comes from consumers. Since they couldn't tax the sale of a vehicle, the called it a "privilege tax" and taxed the dealer (for the privilege of selling a car?). Dealers were specifically allowed to pass the tax on to the purchaser, and indeed they do. Call it what you want, but there is now a sales tax on new car purchases in Oregon (a very small percentage of that tax funds the EV rebate program).

·
Registered
57 Posts
DEQ Clean car rebate. Still waiting.
Bought car end of September 2019 in Tacoma,
Drove home (Bend, Or). submitted everything online the next day.
Received notification of receiving forms.
Inquired about status in January, they were working on June submittals.
Now it is the end of March, still waiting. I had no idea it would take this long.
BTW, I paid the "Use Tax" when registering the car here in Oregon. ~$142.
I thought the use tax was created mostly to fund the EV Rebate program, am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
My understanding is the use tax is the EV subsidy (minus administrative overhead). No idea why it's so slow except to say it's government work. It took me 2 years to get my first time home buyer credit from the federal government, so be thankful it isn't worse. I was beginning to think they were hoping I'd die first or simply give up. They didn't even pay interest either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DEQ Clean car rebate. Still waiting.
Bought car end of September 2019 in Tacoma,
Drove home (Bend, Or). submitted everything online the next day.
Received notification of receiving forms.
Inquired about status in January, they were working on June submittals.
Now it is the end of March, still waiting. I had no idea it would take this long.
BTW, I paid the "Use Tax" when registering the car here in Oregon. ~$142.
I thought the use tax was created mostly to fund the EV Rebate program, am I wrong?
Update: June 5, 2020.... still waiting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
FYI - I got mine earlier this year but it was about 7-8 months after I received the confirmation email from DEQ. So it's slow but it does exist!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I plan to have my parents purchase a used EV and think maybe December when we're in 2nd wave of lockdowns and dealerships are more desperate to sell is a more optimal time. Some of the older Leafs are only a couple grand after rebate!

Oh, and their solar installation was completed a couple weeks ago and I got the installer to throw in an EVSE equipped inverter (SolarEdge), so they're all set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts