Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off-topic but this was too cool to not share !

NextEV Nio EP9 took the Nurburgring and destroyed the EV record of 7:22.000 with a whopping 7:05.120.

Vast difference in the world of motorsports and racing in general.

Apparently this comes equipped with a 1390hp engine which is just devilishly fast.

4 high performance inboard motors and four individual gearboxes makes it so the EP9 can deliver 1-megawatt of power.

0-200km/h in 7.1 seconds
Top speed : 313km/h
Range: 427km (265 miles)

Also comes with an interchangeable battery.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That thing is a beauty, but the company making that car seems to be very new and isn't the Concept_S from Rimac faster?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Being new isn't a problem these days, with products like this that are part of emerging segments its easier to move them. It just comes down to value, quality, performance, etc. if they can deliver on that, orders will come their way.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thing is a beauty, but the company making that car seems to be very new and isn't the Concept_S from Rimac faster?
The Concept_S comes in right at 1,384hp and 1,327 lb-ft of torque. 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds. Unfortunately I don't have the 0-60 for the EP9 :(

Does have a top speed of 365km/h which blows the doors off of the 313km/h EP9.

Maybe they just haven't taken it to the 'Ring yet for an attempt at the record ??

·
Registered
85 Posts
EV motors have 3 moving parts so even a new car company can avoid the complexity of a gasoline motor. I wonder how the motorheads will like that electric cars will be taking over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I doubt they will be embracing it that well lol. The other thing is a good section of them are ignorant to the fact that electric vehicles or even hybrid systems can yield substantial performance gains, it's not only for super fuel efficiency. They think as soon as a battery of some sort is involved, the car is automatically a slug because of the weight.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
People are being dragged into the automatic transmission age kicking and screaming, going electric won't go over well with petrol heads but that's just the way the market is moving.

·
Registered
786 Posts
EV motors have 3 moving parts so even a new car company can avoid the complexity of a gasoline motor. I wonder how the motorheads will like that electric cars will be taking over.
I have worked with electric motors of all types since 1956. They only have one moving part: the rotor.

Anything else is attached for a power transfer, such as gears and the wheels themselves.

·
Registered
786 Posts
People are being dragged into the automatic transmission age kicking and screaming, going electric won't go over well with petrol heads but that's just the way the market is moving.
I have never senen anying "kicking and screaming" when driving an automatic transmission, but electric cars can have a manual transmission. Look for the Genovation eXtreme Electric Corvette that has a manual transmission and is the world's fastest street legal car at 183 MPH.

Very few drivers can do a better power transfer than an automatic transmission from a gas engine, much less from an electric motor, so shifting will be a lost practice. And an electric motor only need shifting when it begins to run out of torque at high speeds, because their HP rating is fixed, so they lose torque as the motor spins faster. But for everyday driving, any EV can do the job with no shifting and only need a fixed gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually didn't know that they could have manual gearboxes either...

Searched it up and that thing is insane ! 205mph. Selling for 3/4 million dollars though but nonetheless, from a technological point of view, that is pretty darn amazing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's too bad that with the overall phase out of manuals its not something we'll see often enough. There will be the anomaly and then that's it. Plus doesn't a manual transmission limit them from fine tuning the vehicles performance when it comes to making that performance "accessible" to most owners? Takes some skill to master manual.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find it makes it easier to make them more efficient consistently and that's about it? You can't really say it takes some skill to master manual, it takes skill to master anything of course. When it comes to tuning though.. tuning is well, tuning. Manual or not, it is what it is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have worked with electric motors of all types since 1956. They only have one moving part: the rotor.

Anything else is attached for a power transfer, such as gears and the wheels themselves.
Rotor and two bearings to hold it in place while it rotates. In my book, that makes three.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Bolt will be my first car without a manual transmission and I am "kicking and screaming" internally a little bit about that. Almost as much as trading Z-rated rubber for <shudder> low rolling resistance tires... Uggh! Beyond metaphors though, making the jump to the EV world somehow cushions the blow. After I know how much the "winter hit" affects my needed commuting range, including snow tires-heater-heated steering wheel, some stickier Summer rubber may likely emerge as part of a performance variant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts