Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from GM titled “2017 Bolt EV Software Updates” and providing instructions for owner-initiated updates. Not going to reiterate the email here, but here is a like to the instructions:
http://gmrecall.xert.net/publicimages/BoltEV_WiFi_Instructions_F2.pdf

My Bolt is at the dealership for those recent recalls, so I can’t test this out. Be curious if anyone else can (or dares to! ? )

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
May be based on current version number. Earlier versions being upgraded first as they had the most issues. Screen locks and back up camera issues. Checked mine and no go. Also, did not get an email. I'm currently on 14.1.0.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for posting this, i just heard about this new OTA feature this morning on Transport Evolved (Nikki Gordon Blumfied's You Tube Channel). I also heard it was on my chevrolet which i just checked and it's on there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the email too. Ironically I had just had the car flashed by the dealership to the latest they had about two weeks ago, so I guess this is a really new update. Nice that OTA is FINALLY a thing. My car is on 14.5.0 currently.

A question: what video playback functionality are they referring to that will be removed from the display??

·
Registered
876 Posts
A question: what video playback functionality are they referring to that will be removed from the display??
I never did this myself, so not sure (and I manually updated to 14.2.0 so I can't test it), but apparently you could place MP4 files on a USB thumb drive, plug it in, and (while parked) watch the MP4 files.
There are videos of people doing that while charging, etc..

Apparently with 14.2.0, that went away.
I am guessing it is still gone with 14.5.0...

desiv

·
Registered
876 Posts
Did not work for me, will let some others chime in with a success story before I try again.
Supposedly, it is going to be rolled out to the cars over a period of time, and according the Transport Evolved, starting the 18th.
That doesn't mean everyone can do it on the 18th, but that on the 18th, they should start pushing out the update to some cars..

It will be interesting to see how it works and when it hits my Bolt.. ;-)

desiv

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got the e-mail too. I'm not sure if I can put off the updates, but I will try to do this until I hear other contributors on this forum having success. I noticed that the preferred vehicle setup for performing the update is
not to be charging and parked, but I don't think it said whether the vehicle should be turned on or off, and I don't think it mentioned whether the charge cable can be connected or not.

Other posts on the subject of software updates mentioned that the charging settings were wiped out: hilltop mode, time of day for charging and perhaps others. Others mentioned radio settings being wiped clean. If you have performed the OTA update(s) on your Bolt, please share your experiences with your fellow forum members.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Oops: it does say the vehicle must be unplugged and turned off during installation. So I guess the driver starts the installation, then pushes the power button immediately.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I never did this myself, so not sure (and I manually updated to 14.2.0 so I can't test it), but apparently you could place MP4 files on a USB thumb drive, plug it in, and (while parked) watch the MP4 files.
I just tested and verified that one can play video from USB. I have 14.1.0. It has a tab for pictures and one for video under the gallery.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
No love for me, as I have not received an email.
just got THE email:

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2017 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is to inform you of new software updates that will soon be available for your vehicle. Depending on its configuration, your vehicle may require two updates. The software updates will improve phone connectivity, display resolution, rear camera operation, and prevent instances of intermittent screen freezing. The updates will also remove certain video playback functionality and improve the ability to perform software updates to your radio. This service will be provided for you at no charge.

We are rolling out the software updates to vehicle owners in phases beginning April 2018 through August 2018. Updates will be performed remotely, through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display. When a software update package becomes available for your vehicle, you will be notified through those in-vehicle prompts. To ensure successful completion of the update, please review the enclosed information.

The download and installation of the software updates will occur in steps. You may be asked to accept the download of the software update package. The vehicle must be parked to accept the download, but after the download is accepted, you will be able to use your vehicle normally during the download process. Once the download is completed, you will then be asked to accept the installation of the software update package. During installation of the software update package, your vehicle must be parked. You may also notice one or more system resets during the installation process.

IMPORTANT: You do not need to remain in your vehicle during the software installation. The vehicle cannot be driven during the software install process (up to 10 minutes). The vehicle must be parked at a safe and secure location with the ignition in the OFF position during installation. Also, electric vehicle battery charging cannot occur during software installation. Please ensure that your charging cable is unplugged prior to starting the installation. Once the installation is complete, you may plug in your vehicle and resume normal charging.

For more information about the remote vehicle update process, please refer to the appropriate "Learn About Page" at:
my.chevrolet.com/learn/2017/Bolt%20EV

If you receive a message that the installation cannot continue or did not complete successfully, the installation process may retry after your next ignition cycle. If the problem persists, please contact your dealer for assistance with the software update.

You can also decline the update by selecting the "More Info" button, and then the "Decline Update" option. If you decline the update, you can still receive it at a later date by contacting your dealer. This programming opportunity will be in effect until April 30, 2020.

We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Chevrolet Bolt EV provides you with many miles of enjoyable driving. If you have any questions, please contact the Connection Center Team at 877-558-8352, 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST), seven days a week.

Terry M. Inch
Executive Director
Global Connected Customer Experience

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are videos of people doing that while charging, etc..

Apparently with 14.2.0, that went away.
I am guessing it is still gone with 14.5.0...

desiv
I've never known this to be a thing before I saw the Youtube video on the subject. It's not unusual for non-US market cars to be able to play movies on the infotainment screen but it's generally not done in the US. I'm not sure whether there is a NHTSA regulation on it but I'm sure that every automaker avoids it for legal reasons in case someone has a wreck while watching a Disney movie. Since LG developed the infotainment screen software and not GM, and since the system was going to be used in other markets, this was a feature that probably was part of the original software package and somebody forget to turn it off for US cars. My wife's car is 14.5.0 now...I'll try it when she gets home but I'm expecting that it won't work. Some cars will allow movies to be played but not while the car is out of "PARK". But clearly the note from GM today referenced that this was an issue so I imagine that any Bolt owner still on 14.1.0 that takes the update will likely lose the movie feature, assuming they knew about it at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Got the email this morning. I'm wondering if one can refuse the update. I've never tried playing mp4 files, but would like to retain that capability now that I know about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the email this morning. I'm wondering if one can refuse the update. I've never tried playing mp4 files, but would like to retain that capability now that I know about it.
^This right here

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.