Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the possibilities with OTA updates? I'm guessing it's not much but just curious what features and functions can be changed.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
OTA updates won't happen any time soon. I don't think there has been any major changes with the updates of the system. The big fix seems to be allowing Android Auto to be full screen. I will eventually do the update myself, but for right now if it isn't broke I am not going to fix it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tesla sets the standard for EVs. Whenever GM decides to fully engage in that market, OTAs will be part of the mix. All the technology exists. There are two separate buses involved, one for the infotainment system and one for the drivetrain. Initially, GM may only want to deploy OTAs for the infotainment bus. But applying critical drivetrain patches using OTAs is much less costly than paying dealers to do them. Then again, Tesla uses a wash-rinse-repeat strategy, while GM is more inclined to stand pat. Tesla was born a tech company. GM is straining to put all its tech chops into AVs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you are asking what could be added to the Bolt by an update, the answer is not much. The Bolt was designed to have certain functions and adding something by an update won't happen. The only thing we can get by updates are basically fixes and maybe an updated display to show things nicer. Adding something like parallel parking or adaptive cruise control is not possible with our Bolt. The self driving Bolts they have in San Fran are equipped with different cameras and sensors that we have. There can basically be no added functionality to our car. Even adding different levels of regen braking would be impossible because of our gear shifter which was designed for only D, P, R, L.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are asking what could be added to the Bolt by an update, the answer is not much. The Bolt was designed to have certain functions and adding something by an update won't happen. The only thing we can get by updates are basically fixes and maybe an updated display to show things nicer. Adding something like parallel parking or adaptive cruise control is not possible with our Bolt. The self driving Bolts they have in San Fran are equipped with different cameras and sensors that we have. There can basically be no added functionality to our car. Even adding different levels of regen braking would be impossible because of our gear shifter which was designed for only D, P, R, L.
Parallel parking? ACC? No, my question had nothing to do with those things. I'm aware it's not possible. But you keep answering the question with things like "not much" or "basically fixes" or "I don't think" and I'm trying to find out what OTA updates can improve. Just looking for a clear answer instead of speculation.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Adding apps, fixing glitches like Android Auto not taking up full screen, allowing use of cameras on display when driving, they could allow us to watch movies on the screen (probably not a good idea), enhanced control of climate control, and making system run quicker with better code. Anything that is controlled by the user interface can be changed. Go to your control panel and settings. Anything that you can control from that interface can be modified by a software update.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Even adding different levels of regen braking would be impossible because of our gear shifter which was designed for only D, P, R, L.
Well, in theory an over the air update could add something to the settings menu that would let you specify the degree of regen you'd get in "L" mode. But I certainly don't expect that to actually happen.

What I'd like to see is a few small safety improvements. For example, having a chime sound if you flip on your turn signal at the same time that the side blind spot alert light is on. That could also be an optional feature controlled by the settings menu.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The problem with our car is it is a blended computer and switch driven car. I am pretty sure that the only way that we control our seat warmers or heated steering wheel is through the buttons they give us. 100% of Tesla's controls are by the computer. We are very limited to what can be added to the Bolt because of this.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The problem with our car is it is a blended computer and switch driven car. I am pretty sure that the only way that we control our seat warmers or heated steering wheel is through the buttons they give us. 100% of Tesla's controls are by the computer. We are very limited to what can be added to the Bolt because of this.

In theory anything that's controlled by the touch screen or anything we aren't able to control could be changed via a software update or possibly through hacking.

Also, some things that are controlled via switches are also able to be controlled via software. For example your HVAC controls (fan speed, temperature and vent
selection) are all able to be overridden when one preconditions. This tells me that there is probably a way to control or change a lot of those things via a software update as well.

Would be nice to be able to configure the maximum charge level instead of just having to use hilltop reserve to keep it from charging to 100% or using delayed charging with a departure time later than your actual departure time.

I'd really like to be able to disable the automatic headlights on by default every time you start the car.

Would also be able to be nice to change the behavior of preconditioning, like to turn off rear window defrost.

One things I'd like to have is kind of an "eco mode" where you could set the limit for power/acceleration with the accelerator pedal below a certain value (basically I'd like to limit acceleration to 20kW unless I push the accelerator more than 50%.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would be nice to be able to configure the maximum charge level instead of just having to use hilltop reserve to keep it from charging to 100%.

I'd really like to be able to disable the automatic headlights on by default every time you start the car.

Would also be able to be nice to change the behavior of preconditioning, like to turn off rear window defrost.

One things I'd like to have is kind of an "eco mode" where you could set the limit for power/acceleration with the accelerator pedal below a certain value (basically I'd like to limit acceleration to 20kW unless I push the accelerator more than 50%.
This is why I asked the question because these 4 items you mentioned are something I'd like to change as well. I've done a lot of work on CAN networks in transportation vehicles and it's generally the same on passenger cars. I'd like to start with the hilltop reserve (being able to turn it on or off when not in the car) and was curious what network it's on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
None of those 4 items appeal to me. I would like a heat setting and a cool setting. Having just one temperature choice is nuts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts