Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my California Vehicle Resistration renewal notice for Jan 2018. Reg fee $233 and license fee $257. OK that seemed high. The VLF is not surprising since it is .65% of the vehicle's value. Hidden in the registration fee is $100 road usage fee for BEV's and then a sliding scale based on the vehicle's value. Irritated but not threatening to move to Texas, yet.:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea, that's kind of ridiculous imo, ridiculous but not unexpected. That $100 road usage fee, let's call it what it is a tax, slipped by my attention and possibly many others. Since when they started penalizing you for driving green? Oh, wait they gave you $2500 rebate (if you qualified) so let them take some of it back now :(
Also NOT moving to Texas any time soon especially that they tax your leases upfront, not monthly.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The $100 fee on Electric Vehicles doesn’t kick in until 2020. If you have $100 fee on your registration, it’s for something else, or the DMV screwed up. Check it carefully...

Oh, and that $100 fee for electric vehicles in lieu of paying gas taxes? It’s a steal for the consumer. If you drove a car that got 25 MPG, and put 12K miles a year on it, you’d be buying 480 gallons of gas. That’s $144 in gas taxes with the new gas tax that is set to take effect next week. Under the old gas tax, you’d be paying $86 annually.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Total for my old 2017 Volt back in August was $650 ($150 EV fee + $500 in taxes).

·
Registered
68 Posts
In doing my research, prior to deciding to purchase a Bolt, I found that NC has a $130.00 fee due each year at registration renewal. In an odd way, it is comforting to know that it?s not just another way that NC?s backward legislators are resisting the future!

·
Registered
66 Posts
In Georgia the Alt Fuel vehicle fee is $208 every year for registration (gas tax fee). I paid this in July my birth month for my 2015 Leaf but then had to pay a prorated $178 again in Oct to register my 2017 Bolt
and transfer the plate over , to just transfer the plate is $5 . Talk about getting ripped off when I went from one EV to another EV !

·
Registered
18 Posts
If they (states in USA and provinces in Canada) are really serious about encouraging us to buy and drive EVs, annual registration should be free for the first five years of EV's ownership !

·
Registered
44 Posts
In Georgia the Alt Fuel vehicle fee is $208 every year for registration (gas tax fee)...
Just paid $200+ for my Georgia plate as well. But a couple of fringe benefits are free tolls on Georgia's express lane system (they send you a free Peach Pass transponder!) and the use of all HOV lanes and on-ramps when driving solo. Today the plate saved my bacon driving south from downtown Atlanta in a colossal traffic jam.

Have you signed up for Georgia Power's home EV charging tariff? At 1.5 cents/kwh from 11 PM to 7 AM, the Bolt can be typically be charged for 50 cents, which is why I don't follow the threads here on mileage stretching too closely. Also a $250 rebate for installing a L2 charger (you must file the papers for that within 60 days).

Hopefully I will see your Bolt soon!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The $100 fee on Electric Vehicles doesn’t kick in until 2020. If you have $100 fee on your registration, it’s for something else, or the DMV screwed up. Check it carefully...

Oh, and that $100 fee for electric vehicles in lieu of paying gas taxes? It’s a steal for the consumer. If you drove a car that got 25 MPG, and put 12K miles a year on it, you’d be buying 480 gallons of gas. That’s $144 in gas taxes with the new gas tax that is set to take effect next week. Under the old gas tax, you’d be paying $86 annually.
I will probably only put 4.2 k miles on this year. I guess I need to drive more to save more money. Wait, how does that work again?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I will probably only put 4.2 k miles on this year. I guess I need to drive more to save more money. Wait, how does that work again?
Yer an outlier with low annual miles. Some people will pay less under this new tax scheme, others will pay more. It’s hard to come up with a plan that covers all possibilities. Under the old scheme we EV owners were, and will for another 2 years, not have to pay any “gas” taxes. So in some people’s minds, we are free loaders on the system currently.

The reality is that under the new scheme we won’t be paying much more, or much less, than what our fellow ICE owners will be paying. They’re already being hit with a sliding $25 to $300 additional tax, one that we don’t have to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Licence Renewal

Moved from CA to AZ in June. Had my Spark EV shipped, but traded for a Bolt within a month. The licence tags for the Bolt is $6 for the year!. The special "Alternate fuel" tags allow driving in the HOV lanes. Pleasant surprise after CA fees.

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where I'm at in Minnesota registration fees are based on value and age. I'm getting dinged pretty good because the taxed value is before discounts and tax credits. On top of the high registration fee there's a $75 EV fee. All told it comes to $523 on my 19 LT.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just paid $200+ for my Georgia plate as well. But a couple of fringe benefits are free tolls on Georgia's express lane system (they send you a free Peach Pass transponder!) and the use of all HOV lanes and on-ramps when driving solo. Today the plate saved my bacon driving south from downtown Atlanta in a colossal traffic jam.
I presume you have to sign up for the PeachPass? Also I read that free transponder isn't valid for the express lanes for I-75 either north or south of the city.
Have you signed up for Georgia Power's home EV charging tariff? At 1.5 cents/kwh from 11 PM to 7 AM, the Bolt can be typically be charged for 50 cents, which is why I don't follow the threads here on mileage stretching too closely.
I haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't figured out how to balance the 20.5 cent rate during peak times (2-7 PM weekdays June to September) where dialing the AC back would be extremely uncomfortable.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just got my California Vehicle Resistration renewal notice for Jan 2018. Reg fee $233 and license fee $257. OK that seemed high. The VLF is not surprising since it is .65% of the vehicle's value. Hidden in the registration fee is $100 road usage fee for BEV's and then a sliding scale based on the vehicle's value. Irritated but not threatening to move to Texas, yet.:(
Yep. We just got ours. 3 years now since we took delivery 12-31.16. I'm outta this State as soon as I retire. It's ridiculous. Going to Nevada. Look forward to Freedom.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't figured out how to balance the 20.5 cent rate during peak times (2-7 PM weekdays June to September) where dialing the AC back would be extremely uncomfortable.

What is your current rate for 2-7pm?

1.5 cents/kWh is basically free. Heck, I'd install a house battery and charge up at night and run off the basically free electricity during the day.

How many miles do you average per month in the Bolt?

My hunch is that you'd be better off with the EV plan considering you probably use your vehicle year round, but not the AC. If you current drive 1k miles per month at 10 cents per kWh, that's about $28. The EV plan would be $4.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yep. We just got ours. 3 years now since we took delivery 12-31.16. I'm outta this State as soon as I retire. It's ridiculous. Going to Nevada. Look forward to Freedom.
Nevada registration fee. :)
And this is before EV Road Tax, that will eventually be implemented.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
What is your current rate for 2-7pm?
About half that rate (9.5 cents)
1.5 cents/kWh is basically free. Heck, I'd install a house battery and charge up at night and run off the basically free electricity during the day.
Definitely one way to do it. Since it's almost all about space cooling another idea I've been kicking around is the idea of ice storage where the ice is frozen at night on the 1.5 rate and then used to cool the house during the peak period. I just haven't yet found a cost effective freezing method.
How many miles do you average per month in the Bolt?

My hunch is that you'd be better off with the EV plan considering you probably use your vehicle year round, but not the AC. If you current drive 1k miles per month at 10 cents per kWh, that's about $28. The EV plan would be $4.
None of it is about the EV (a Fiat 500e for me BTW). It's simply about energy arbitrage to get an overall lower bill by storing energy when it's cheap and expending it when it's expensive.

ga2500ev

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.