Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the piddly...out of state dealer offered free delivery so we jumped on a LT with the 4 "gold" options at $10k off MSPR. Unfortunately within 4 days of closing the deal, Chevy offered an ADDITIONAL $3500 rebate, so we could have got a much sweeter deal or stepped up to Premier with pretty Red tricote paint....Such is life. Soo....Vehicle arrived as advertised, next day i enabled OnStar with pass code and soon got an email message warning of low tire pressure (S/B 38). Sure enuf the tires were 32/33 PSI. Yet no dash warning lite? Anyway now that it is getting colder i check the tire pressure screen and the pressures are again low at 33/34. Still no warning lite. Just telling everyone FYI.
Also there is a sharp metal barb covered with factory paint on the underside of the rear hatch lid right where one would place your palm....I went to the local Chevy service dept but was sent over to the Chevy? body repair shop. There i waited patiently whilst 3 reps sat idle in their cubicles...after 10 minutes of no help i left. I admit to being impatient. I called my out of state sales person and he kindly sent me a new container of the official GM touch-up paint Summit White. I will break the barb off, smooth it out with scotch brite, and touch it up once it warms up.

Now my observations subject to more experienced Bolt owners comments. The Bolt impresses me in many respects but unfortunately where we live in western SD is not conducive to an EV. If i were still working and had a daily commute to work of 150-175 miles round trip, then it would make sense. I could over night charge no problem. But i cannot plan to travel (sight see) any farther that that because there are apparently no DC charge stations within 200 miles, except for numerous Tesla. Even if i purchase a 31A 240 V charger and bring it with, where can i find a usable 240V outlet to plug it in and what would we do but be stuck in the vehicle whilst waiting many hours for re-charge?

Also the Guess-O-Meter (verified by energy readouts) shows that any use of climate control will degrade range by 15-20%. I noticed this weather i use only cabin heat (O.S. temp 39 and desired I.S. 69) OR steering wheel & drivers seat only (lowest setting). I also tried cabin heat again (O.S. temp 43 and desired I.S. temp 68) finally i toughed it out and drove with No cabin nor wheel not seat heat and got the KWH/Mile range up from 2.5<>3.5 to 4<>5.5. So can anyone with more experience than mine, list the KW usage for:
1) cabin heat at each blower setting
2) steering wheel heat
3) Drivers and pass seat at each heat setting
4) front and rear windows defrost heat
5) Air Conditioning at each blower setting

Note the energy data for the 90.5 miles traveled:
28.6KWH used
technique +5
terrain - 1.2
climate -18.1
O/S temp 12.2
driving and accessories 85%
Climate settings 15% ( i have observed 18.9%)
Battery conditioning 0%
Miles -26.5

• We are seriously considering selling the vehicle after Dec 31 as we need to wait until then to ensure the tax deduction is valid. Obviously we will take a big shellacing on a sale, we will have approx $32K spent with tax, license, and 6 months insurance, and expect to have somewhat over 1000 miles on the vehicle as of Jan 1 2020. Yes, we should drive it more but i don't want to risk parking lot damage or a fender bender any more than is necessary. A realistic sale price is only $22K in this area. Again the vehicle needs to be in the hands of a daily commuter to realize the advantages of this vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have observed that steering wheel, seats, rear defog and fan don't seem to impact the GOM. I understand they all use the regular car battery.
Selecting heat or AC will. Max windshield defog uses heat of course. But when done, the GOM will run back up. It's as its name says...guess.
Crank up the heat or AC when regen'ing down hills.
Some dealers might have a DC charger. Might not be very fast but faster than L2.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Bolt would be a much better sight-seeing car if you had the necessary infrastructure. Without it, travelling is very difficult. You could buy a 32A/240V EVSE and charge at RV parks. But that's still 9-10 hours for a full charge. Without DCFCs available, you'd have to really want to travel that way (some people used to do it years ago in 73-mile Leafs).
But good infrastructure really makes the difference. We have a skeleton of a network in NY, but it gets me where I need to go. I've covered over 500 miles in a day in my Bolt. It is possible. But not for everybody.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feel your pain. Not a lot of EV charging stations outside of the KC metro area. That is why my Bolt is purely a commute and in town errands car. Couldn't even think about taking it on a road trip of more than 150 miles round trip.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The Bolt is a great commuter car, well besides dealing with the uncomfortable seats. With the charge rates and sparse charging infrastructure in most of the US, the Bolt should only be used for around town or commuting to work. I traveled from Modesto to San Diego and back one time in my Bolt. After dealing with almost running out of battery I decided to get a Tesla as my road trip car. I am very honest with people about the Bolt and I tell people if you need a commuter/second car, you would be silly to pay an extra $15,000 or so for a Tesla. However, if you need to go on frequent trips the Tesla EV is the only car I would recommend. I know NewsColoumb goes on his trips, but I can't be that patient dealing with a 4/10 year old driving me crazy during charging.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With the charge rates and sparse charging infrastructure in most of the US, the Bolt should only be used for around town or commuting to work.
Careful in how you word this. It's not right to tell others what their car "should" or "should not" be used for. I travel all the time in my Bolt. It is really no harder of a trip than burning gas, it just requires planning and a little (not much) patience for a trip requiring one or two ~30 minute stops to charge. I personally enjoy the planning, so it's not work for me - it's part of the fun. If that's not you, then sure, Tesla's integrated planning is the way to go.

I can't be that patient dealing with a 4/10 year old driving me crazy during charging.
This is where our experience wildly differs. I have kids as well. If I'm travelling 400+ miles, it will require multiple rest stops and at least one meal. I plan those things to happen at DCFCs. We often bring a picnic lunch and eat while the car is charging. I would say that 80% of the time, the car is ready for the next leg of that trip before we are.

Would the Bolt be better with more chargers and faster charging? Absolutely! Is Tesla's package the best all-around for travelling with a BEV? Again - absolutely! But can you travel with a Bolt? Absolutely. Be honest with people, but don't go around telling others that they "shouldn't" travel with their Bolt.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I travel all the time in my Bolt. It is really no harder of a trip than burning gas, it just requires planning and a little (not much) patience for a trip requiring one or two ~30 minute stops to charge. I personally enjoy the planning, so it's not work for me - it's part of the fun. If that's not you, then sure, Tesla's integrated planning is the way to go.
That was one of the reason I went with the Bolt instead of the Leaf... long range capability plus battery conditioning.

Now the long range travel issue could be solved in a few years. Nevada has a plan to make charging available every 50 miles along the highway, if you look on Plugshare or ChargePoint, you will find you can go from Vegas to Reno easily with a Bolt - and with free DCFC! I think California is the same way. Washington state is working on doing the same, a new $75 tax is being levied on hybrids, plug-ins hybrids, and EVs for the purpose of funding that project.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Similarly, NY has a "plan" to install chargers every 40-50 miles across the state. Their current plan is 2020, but the timeline has been consistently pushed out since it was announced 18 months ago. Originally, they were talking about 2018.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah.... before buying my Bolt (last Sunday), I did a whole bunch of travel scenarios with Plugshare and lately with ABRP (ABetterRoutePlanner).
Bolt is really the only one that would work for me other than Tesla which is just too much $$. I am 130 miles from the closest CCS charging station, but plenty of L2 stations which I kind of consider as 'last resort' options (slow).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm at the Continental Divide in Butte, Montana so I feel your pain with regards to infrastructure, however, in the last year we've got fast chargers come live so travel south and west is possible...east..towards SD...not so much. The Bolt is a thoroughly competent winter car with winter tires on and I've gotten by using the heated steering wheel and seats down to about -20F...it's winter in Montana, I've got a coat on anyway. Thermally challenged folks might not be so happy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm at the Continental Divide in Butte, Montana so I feel your pain with regards to infrastructure, however, in the last year we've got fast chargers come live so travel south and west is possible...east..towards SD...not so much. The Bolt is a thoroughly competent winter car with winter tires on and I've gotten by using the heated steering wheel and seats down to about -20F...it's winter in Montana, I've got a coat on anyway. Thermally challenged folks might not be so happy.
Below 68 degrees my blood tends to freeze.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definitely depends on the family. I know some people who won't drive at all if it's more than several hundred miles. They'll fly. Road tripping is different in an EV, but still fun. It just takes different planning.

I have planned trips through KS and it's not an EV friendly area, except for Teslas. Fortunately CCS is building out more as we speak. In a year you might have many more options that make Bolt Tripping more reasonable for you.

Tesla opening up their Network and charging a fee with CCS adapters would be a huge step forward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Long distance travel in a Bolt is not for everybody. It requires planning and some luck (what if the charger you need is taken?). because of that I would not get a Bolt as my only car. But for any other scenario where you don’t put more than 150 miles per day it is just fine. Except in winter. Lol. I have no problem with cold cabin and heated seat and steering as but the windows fogging up is a bish. You need to actively manage it with the defrost on a regular basis. You can’t just drive in the winter- you need to constantly be aware of what is going on in the cabin and take action. This for some folks gets old quickly and for others it is just plain aggravating.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's a commuter car for me, which is about the 99% metric on the owners. I won't sit somewhere for 30 minutes to charge, I'd rather take my ICE or rent a nice ICE for the journey if it's more than 300 miles or whatever one tank of electrons gets me. When I read that Wang sits each week for a free DCFC charge, I just throw up. I'm happy for him and others like him, but gag gag puke I charge at home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
HD stopped free medium DC charging for EVs... :( I guess it was more of a initial freebie on first activation. Free medium DC charging is now just for their Livewire motorcycles.

I still get free L2 charging for 45 min between drop off to school/go to work and an hour when I go running. :)

My garage has all GFI outlets so not good match for the OEM EVSE. I am getting a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage and waiting for the utility company to switch me to EV rates... so probably be at least charging at home when it gets too cold to be outside during those hours.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On windows fogging up...Rain X makes an antifog spray that I've been using and it works quite well to limit window fogging.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a commuter car for me, which is about the 99% metric on the owners. I won't sit somewhere for 30 minutes to charge, I'd rather take my ICE or rent a nice ICE for the journey if it's more than 300 miles or whatever one tank of electrons gets me. When I read that Wang sits each week for a free DCFC charge, I just throw up. I'm happy for him and others like him, but gag gag puke I charge at home.
I do 300+ miles trips (freeway driving all the way) twice and sometimes three times a week and I need to charge only once to make it. Usually the charging is matched to the lunch/dinner break and usually it takes more for me to eat than to have the car charged enough to get to the destination. And it costs me 1/4th of the cost if I'd do the trip using an ICE car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First the piddly......
So, what you say is that you bought the car driven by an impulsive nature of "buying no matter what", instead of doing a thorough analysis of the conditions of your situation before hand. I imagine you knew that the Bolt EV needs electricity to run, or at least I hope you knew. Well, it wil cost you dearly if you want to buy off the car, as you are suggesting. But, you can't blame anyone but yourself, the car is working just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really don't understand why people blame the Bolt EV for the lack of DCFC in their area. And lable it as a commuter car, when they dont have a clue about long trips.
In the East of Canada, where I am from, we have DCFC at least at every 100 miles or so, and the Bolt EV is great for long trips. And the DCFC charging infrastructure is blooming, so .. more power to the Bolt EV !

1 - 20 of 66 Posts