Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Our new EV Pickup!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  shotel 
#1 ·
Well, actually my Sons new EV...or is it a PHEV? And, like the TM3, he just slapped down a $1K deposit for a 2019 delivery.

Son works in construction (CE). We gave him the Volt during his last year in college, which he immediately traded in for a 2014 Ford F150. Of course I had a cow over that, but evidently there is some unwritten law in Texas that requires that all males can only register pickup trucks with the DMV. ;)

For those not familiar with Workhorse, they started in 1998 by taking over GM's stepvan and motorhome chassis manufacturing. Were later acquired by Navistar, then acquired by AMP and go under the workhorse brand. They are the OEM for the new UPS PHEV delivery vans. The UPS PHEV van will share the same chassis and drive train, but I read that the UPS delivery van will have a 120 kWh battery. Workhorse also plans to make large EV delivery drones.

I had emailed Workhorse last year to be notified if they decide to offer what (at the time) was to only be a Fleet pickup truck to the public. They got back and now they do plan to offer this EV to consumers.. Talk about 'taking a page out of the Tesla playbook', they are likely taking deposits as a crowd funding measure. Enough serious interest ($1K is serious), and I'm sure they can get funding to mass produce. They are also using Panasonic 18650's like Tesla.

Specs:

• All electric range: 80 miles
  • Battery: 60 kWh
  • Range Extender MPG: 28 highway, 32 city
  • True AWD
  • GVWR: 7200 lbs (may be really important if Hummer tax credit is still around)
  • Payload: 2200 lbs
  • Towing: 5000 lbs
  • 7.2 kw power export that allows tools to be plugged directly into the
    battery power source without the truck running
  • 0-60: 5.5 sec.
  • Price estimate: $52K (excluding tax credits)

I fully expect my son to get some notice towards the end of the year saying that the 'Signature Editions' will be released first at $98K...then a little later that 'Production H%&#' has pushed his reservation back a year. Of course this EV Pickup will probably first be sold in the Bubba States (TX, OK, LA, TN, GA, etc.) and will be considered a 'Zeb' compliance truck. :eek:

See less See more
1 4
#2 ·
Wait, I'm misunderstanding. Are they delivering these already? I thought they were still winding up for production.

If you've got one in-hand already, mind taking it to the track to verify that 5.5 sec 0-60mph time? ;-)

The interior looks a bit, foreign to me. I'm getting an anime-mecha-suit vibe from your pics.

#3 ·
Workhorse originally planned to sell this PickEVup only to commercial fleet operators. Tow truck companies, delivery companies, construction, etc. But due to popular demand by consumers, they have announced they will offer the truck to the general public as well. With an 'expected' 2019 delivery time frame.

I see the anime vibe

#4 ·
80 miles for a 60 kWh battery? Even for how big and powerful the truck is, this does not seem correct. I am past my pick-up days since I have two kids now, but this seems like a great buy if they can produce it for $50,000. 30 mpg for a truck is pretty amazing with the range extender. I am personally waiting for the VW EV Bus, but I may have to get another electric vehicle before then because 2021 is a far ways off...

#6 ·
As someone who tows a 4000lb travel trailer, this is an amazing concept. Based on my observed ~30% winter penalty of the Bolt and Tesla model X owners reported towing penalty of ~50% off the EPA numbers, I'd be looking at replacing my existing truck at the magic number of 300+ EPA electric miles. Fortunately, my expected replacement date for the truck is 2024 so I expect my wish list has a chance of becoming reality.

Now my neighbours that use their 1/2 tons as glorified grocery getters, that 80mile range is a great carrot if they can figure out where they left their collective pocket books.

#7 ·
Wow that truck looks awesome. I had no idea Workhorse has been working on an EV pickup. Considering most of the big guys in the industry are just now starting to implement hybrid powertrains in their pickups, I thought we were a ways off from seeing a full blown electric truck. Looks like the price point is justified by the specs they are claiming, and I wonder if it will be able to deliver on the range of 400 miles. That outclasses every electric vehicle currently on the market.

#8 ·
... I wonder if it will be able to deliver on the range of 400 miles. That outclasses every electric vehicle currently on the market.
It's a PHEV (like a Volt or Honda Clarity PHEV), all electric drive first 80 miles, then the ICE kicks in.

Even at that, just the Idea of an EV truck - not "promised" by Tesla - would be great.

Musk tells Ford it's a Model "7", not Model "T"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.