Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received several notifications from the myChevrolet app that my Bolt was out of energy and required a tow.

The car had about 50% charge when I parked it and when I refreshed the app it showed the correct charge state and estimated range. Then it notified me again with the same result.

I checked the car and it had the same charge level as I left it when parked that afternoon. There is no indication of any issue in the car itself, so it seems like an problem with the app but I have had the car for 8 months and never seen this before. (I love it BTW!)

I wanted to check here and see if anyone else has run into this before I ask the dealer.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Do you have one of those devices that plugs into the OBDII port that records info for your Insurance company? Or a Bluetooth OBDII reader? Those supposedly can interfere with the car and confuse OnStar/myChevrolet-app into false readings like you describe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yesterday I received several notifications from the myChevrolet app that my Bolt was out of energy and required a tow.

The car had about 50% charge when I parked it and when I refreshed the app it showed the correct charge state and estimated range. Then it notified me again with the same result.

I checked the car and it had the same charge level as I left it when parked that afternoon. There is no indication of any issue in the car itself, so it seems like an problem with the app but I have had the car for 8 months and never seen this before. (I love it BTW!)

I wanted to check here and see if anyone else has run into this before I ask the dealer.

Cheers!
I have seen this through the app twice. I didn't do anything about it, but you are not alone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The MyChevrolet app does not automatically refresh. I live in an area that does not have AT&T cell service. This means every time I charge the Bolt at home (about once per week) I get the "fully charged" notification when I leave home and get within AT&T cell service after about three miles. Living outside AT&T cell service means I receive the the fully charged notification the next day after charging. I have also noticed the MyChevrolet app always shows the last state of charge when I first start it. I need to refresh the app by pulling down the screen which makes it connect to the car to get the latest stats. Not a big deal in my case, just sometime to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The question seems to be, is the Bolt sending the wrong information to the app, or is the app itself misbehaving? Did you uninstall and reinstall the app? I have not had this happen, nor heard any others have the same complaint. Good luck in a quick resolution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

I don't have a OBDII reader. It hasn't happened again so far, but it is good to know that it has happened to at least one other person here and didn't lead to an issue with the car (yet anyway).

I'll re-install the app if it happens again, so far I just re-booted the phone in between the first and second time it happened, so obviously that didn't help.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
If you have Keypass setup, and you are connected to the Bolt via Keypass, the Vehicle Status screen in the myChevrolet app should instantly update...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still observing problem

My wife is still experiencing this notification with the Bolt in a good cell reception area, and the battery nowhere near low (>50%). She gets notifications with the latest version of the iOS app (3.9.0 - 10/26/17).

Interestingly, I also have my own iPhone and Apple Watch connected to the car (KeyPass, etc.) and I do not get the notifications. She does, however.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also having this issue.

Seemed to start after I activated keypass. key pass seems to have limited use. Aside from light up the car when I approach, does it have functional purpose?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am also having this issue.

Seemed to start after I activated keypass. key pass seems to have limited use. Aside from light up the car when I approach, does it have functional purpose?
it basically is like having the key fob on your phone. you can use it to unlock the doors, pre-condition, or beep the horn. it's pretty useful if you lock your keys in your car, but that's about all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been getting this message as well. I would say I’ve gotten the message about 4 different times over the two months I’ve owned the car. I’ll get the message multiple times the day I get the message. Each time I’ve gotten the message the battery has had a at a minimum 70% SOC. I get it through the iOS app and I use Keypass.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I get this message all the time. I agree that it appears to be some conflict with Keypass as that is when it started. It is the app, nothing to do with the vehicle, if you click the map location in the map when it happens it shows the car in the middle of the ocean so it has no idea where the vehicle actually is and thinks it is out of range.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The myChevrolet app is awful.

Its my only real disappointment with the Bolt. Multiple issues connecting, getting incorrect or incomplete data, and the spurious “out of energy” notice.

GM is certainly aware of all of these issues, and has been for months, I actually sent them screen shots showing the “out of energy” display back in July. Techie from GM told me they were working on it, maybe they need to hire someone from Tesla to fix it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The myChevrolet app is awful.

Its my only real disappointment with the Bolt. Multiple issues connecting, getting incorrect or incomplete data, and the spurious “out of energy” notice.

GM is certainly aware of all of these issues, and has been for months, I actually sent them screen shots showing the “out of energy” display back in July. Techie from GM told me they were working on it, maybe they need to hire someone from Tesla to fix it.
I must be overlooking it, where did you even find a "feedback" button regarding the app? How are they tracking bugs, etc? I run the Android version.

My opinion, the app seems to try to do "everything" trip planning, charging location identification, energy alerts, etc...and does nothing great. Keep it simple and make it rock solid robust

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I must be overlooking it, where did you even find a "feedback" button regarding the app? How are they tracking bugs, etc? I run the Android version.

My opinion, the app seems to try to do "everything" trip planning, charging location identification, energy alerts, etc...and does nothing great. Keep it simple and make it rock solid robust
To contact Chevy go to my.Cvevrolet.com and click on Help, then on the “Still can’t find it” drop-down, where there’s a link to contact Chevy. I believe I started with a chat session, then sent the screen shots after describing the issue with “out of energy”.

Six months later the app is still awful, so don’t expect much to change, maybe they’ll get it fixed next year, maybe not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts