Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have no garage, what should I be looking for when purchasing an EVSE? Should the port/handle be "internally stored" or at least protected from the elements when not in use?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can have the whole thing in some kind of an enclosure. I saw someone built a custom enclosure to protect the EVSE from the elements. If I can find that post (from some other forum, I will post it here).

Though some of the EVSEs are really sturdy and can withstand the torture. I am a happy JuiceBox 40 Pro owner and would highly recommend it. Look up you tube for "Juicebox Ice bucket challenge". I am a new member so cannot post links yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also do not have a garage and was planning to get the Clipper Creek HCS-40 to mount on the side of my house near where I park. It has a "NEMA 4" rating which means that it can be used outdoors. The Clipper Creek website mentions that outdoor units should be hardwired into the junction box, not plugged into an outlet, so make sure you get the hardwired version of whatever EVSE you choose. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
The only EVSE I can find that specifies a NEMA 4 enclosure is Clipper Creek, Does anyone know of any others? The Juicebox challenge does seem to show that it too is weather tight even though is not NEMA 4. I think either will work for me.

Also I like the idea of building a small dedicated housing; if for no other reason than hiding the unit from passersby.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine is outdoors. I lock the J1772 head in the electrical box that houses the plugs (a 220v and a 110v for the L1 & L2 EVSEs).

Open:
Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Closed/Locked:

Before I bought the Bolt, we used the charger sparingly for the wife's Leaf because she has access to a L2 at work. I had the charger mounted on a dolly, so that I can wheel it out when I needed it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use Clipper Creeks out at the ocean (State Parks) and ChargePoints. These are right on the ocean - like 300 yards away or whatever, and they're doing fine. One of the CC's that faces the setting sun has gotten a touch faded, but they didn't even install the holsters and they're doing fine so far.

I have CC's at home, the holster keeps the head out of the rain. Not that it seems to matter but its a very clean solution, with the unit also being a loop holder. The JuiceBox is the most well made. All metal, thick cables and super solid head, and it's also portable and has web control.

So I like the cable management and holster of the CC, the build and control of the JuiceBox. So I perma-mount CC's at home (3) and have a JuiceBox for in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts