Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Display of outside temperature reading in upper right corner of my 2021 Bolt Premier reads 5 degree more than real temperature as advised by cell phone weather channels etc. Not a serios matter. Where is that temperature sensor located and how can it be fixed to read plus/minus 2 degree

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,205 Posts
Display of outside temperature reading in upper right corner of my 2021 Bolt Premier reads 5 degree more than real temperature as advised by cell phone weather channels etc. Not a serios matter. Where is that temperature sensor located and how can it be fixed to read plus/minus 2 degree
Front center of lower grill, eleven inches above the road. The number you see on the dash is a dampened average. You can see it, and several other non-dampened readings, in Torque Pro. The actual temperature, as you move along, changes by 5 degrees easily.

I can look at "the temperature" from five different sites, and get five different numbers. The idea that there is "a" local temperature is a huge oversimplification. Even a pot of boiling water has hugely different temperatures, at different points.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Being that the sensor is closer to the ground, when stationary, the influence of the heat of the asphalt should be greater. Once the car starts moving, this heat from the ground dissipates, so all it remains is the heat of the air. At least this is how I see it.
I am not sure at what height the temperature posted in the phone is measured, but I doubt it is at 11” above ground.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,205 Posts
I am not sure at what height the temperature posted in the phone is measured, but I doubt it is at 11” above ground.
Any weather monitoring site will be in a totally shaded location well above the ground. That does not prevent sites a mile apart from registering much different temperatures. On weatherunderground.com, I will often check two or three monitoring sites right around us, out here in the boonies. They all give different readings. Elevation differences of 50 feet, or being near a pond, have a large effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts