Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this "program" in my Chevrolet website for my Bolt:

CGM and BYOM2+ Radio Software Updates

Program Title:
CGM and BYOM2+ Radio Software Updates
Program Description:
Certain 2017 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles need to be reprogrammed with an updated software package. Depending on the vehicle’s configuration, it may require more than one update. The new software package will improve phone connectivity, display resolution, rear camera operation and prevent instances of intermittent screen lock-up or black-out. Other changes will also ensure that the vehicle is fully compliant with all regulatory requirements.

Repair Description:
OnStar will update vehicles remotely through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display. However, some customers may decline the vehicle update or the update is attempted, but is not successful. In such cases, dealers will be required to reprogram the vehicle with the new software package.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wonder if "Other changes will also ensure that the vehicle is fully compliant with all regulatory requirements." means the nerfing of video playback.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Saw this in the app earlier this afternoon and tried to fiddle with the car settings to find where I might be able to do this. Closest thing I could find was that toggle in Settings saying something like allowing the car to download / install updates in the background. Not sure if this is related. It was already defaulted to “On.”

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OnStar will update vehicles remotely through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display.
And some on this forum said this would never happen!

However, some customers may decline the vehicle update or the update is attempted, but is not successful. In such cases, dealers will be required to reprogram the vehicle with the new software package.
I just tried checking for an update on my car and saw nothing yet. Anyone successfully checked and applied it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
What are we excepted to see as software version once this is complete? anyone knows? I still have not really seen if the cloud updates work or not. I should take a picture of the software version and then look at it a few months later.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
What are we excepted to see as software version once this is complete? anyone knows? I still have not really seen if the cloud updates work or not. I should take a picture of the software version and then look at it a few months later.
I believe the most recent version for '17 Bolts should be 14.5

·
Registered
324 Posts
Repair Description:
OnStar will update vehicles remotely through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display. However, some customers may decline the vehicle update or the update is attempted, but is not successful. In such cases, dealers will be required to reprogram the vehicle with the new software package.
I read this as saying that OnStar can trigger the update. Not that an owner can trigger the update.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
"However, some customers may decline the vehicle update or the update is attempted, but is not successful. In such cases, dealers will be required to reprogram the vehicle with the new software package."

I also read it as saying that if you turn it down, you will be advised to take it into the dealership for the update...meaning it is mandatory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone tried hitting the OnStar button and asking them to initiate the update?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Anyone tried hitting the OnStar button and asking them to initiate the update?
When they said “OnStar will update vehicles remotely through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display.” they didn't mean that some customer service rep at OnStar will personally contact you through your radio.

OnStar is the whole suite of services that come from connecting your Bolt to the GM mothership, from your being able to see the battery percentage while sitting on the couch to the car telling GM if there is a maintenance issue.

So, when they say OnStar, they just mean “Remote GM ↔ Car technology”. It's likely that the update will be pushed from somewhere far away and distinct from their call centers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm taking my Bolt in Saturday for the update that supposedly enables OTA updates and the powertrain recall.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I also read it as saying that if you turn it down, you will be advised to take it into the dealership for the update...meaning it is mandatory.
Very few recalls are really mandatory if you don't want them. The only exception is for emissions related recalls where you have to provide proof that you had a recall performed in order to renew your registration. (this happened to me with my A3 Scandalwagen).

Of course if you defer a recall and you take the car to the dealer for any reason you're probably going to have that recall performed on your car whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Of course if you defer a recall and you take the car to the dealer for any reason you're probably going to have that recall performed on your car whether you like it or not.
OK. This morning I go to the MyChevrolet website, and it pulls up my car, but where it has been saying I don't have an OnStar account, it now says,"We're sorry. There was an error connecting to your vehicle. Please refresh your browser or try again later."

I have deleted cookies, refreshed, restarted the computer, pulled the sim card from our hot spot. Nothing helps. At some point I will take it to the dealer, and have them do both the drivetrain software update, and the infotainment software update.

[edit]

Just this second, I refreshed the MyChevrolet page, and it says:

EV Data Coming Soon!
In the future, you'll be able to:

View your vehicle's current charge level and estimated electric range
Access efficiency details for up to the last 12 months
Monitor your vehicle's performance
Change your charging mode to save energy

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK. This morning I go to the MyChevrolet website, and it pulls up my car, but where it has been saying I don't have an OnStar account, it now says,"We're sorry. There was an error connecting to your vehicle. Please refresh your browser or try again later."

I have deleted cookies, refreshed, restarted the computer, pulled the sim card from our hot spot. Nothing helps. At some point I will take it to the dealer, and have them do both the drivetrain software update, and the infotainment software update.

[edit]

Just this second, I refreshed the MyChevrolet page, and it says:

EV Data Coming Soon!
In the future, you'll be able to:

View your vehicle's current charge level and estimated electric range
Access efficiency details for up to the last 12 months
Monitor your vehicle's performance
Change your charging mode to save energy
I have been having same exact issue with MyChevrolt website since I purchased my Bolt. I’ve made many calls for assistance and have been bounced between MyChevrolet and OnStar, but nothing has been fixed. Essentially, I call and they apologize and promise to escalate the issue (because of of my related calls). Oh, and they also promise to call m back in “3-5 business days”, but that never happens. It’s crazy I cannot connect to my car when it is connected to my home WiFi.

However, to be fair, OnStar has been excellent in reminding my fee trial period will expire soon and how I can enroll (ie pay) for this amazing service.

·
Registered
315 Posts
They are suppose to roll the updates out in certain sections of the US, my cars radio has worked well right from the beginning.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts