Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I might be overreacting, but maybe some there's a solution to my "problem".

Despite hitting a car wash about once every other week (every other month I'll do a hand wash) for a maintenance touchless car wash, I still get streaks of dirty water in roughly the same spots. I can only guess this is because of dirty rain water collecting in the crevices of my Bolt and highway speeds driving them out as these streaks. I thought adding a hydrophobic coating (I used Hydro2 SiO sealant every 4 months) to seal the paint would help with shedding off dirty water. Even after sitting in rain for hours the streaks remain and aren't washed away despite being "fresh" as of this morning (they weren't there yesterday).

Are there tricks to prevent or reduce these dirty streaks? I'm starting to think I should've gotten a darker color Bolt...:crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Looks more like something that was sprayed onto the car. Like tire dressing and other crap
to make plastic shine, IMO!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My neighbor's son has a shitty old turquoise blue car and he is out there with a pressure washer two or three times a week washing that **** thing. It's like he things it's going to turn into a Rolls Royce someday. Pathetic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I take my Bolt to the coin operated car wash, whenever I have a chance,usually 2 or 3 times a week.(Northeast Think Ice Slush, Snow + Crap)

It does get dirty on the 2 mile trip home, when I get it home, I put the car in the garage then turn on my little heater.

When the car thaws out, I wipe it down with well wrung out microfiber towels.

You can use a leaf blower to drive the water out of the spots where water tends to sit.

When I wipe mine down, I always wipe all the door openings, under the hood, and in the trunk opening area.

A car isn't clean if you can open the doors and see the dirt you didn't wipe clean.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My neighbor's son has a shitty old turquoise blue car and he is out there with a pressure washer two or three times a week washing that **** thing. It's like he things it's going to turn into a Rolls Royce someday. Pathetic.
I take my Bolt to the coin operated car wash, whenever I have a chance,usually 2 or 3 times a week.(Northeast Think Ice Slush, Snow + Crap)

It does get dirty on the 2 mile trip home, when I get it home, I put the car in the garage then turn on my little heater.

When the car thaws out, I wipe it down with well wrung out microfiber towels.

You can use a leaf blower to drive the water out of the spots where water tends to sit.

When I wipe mine down, I always wipe all the door openings, under the hood, and in the trunk opening area.

A car isn't clean if you can open the doors and see the dirt you didn't wipe clean.
Wow, I thought I was overdoing the wash thing. Once a week would be too much, regardless if I did it myself in my driveway or went to a car wash (self or automated).

I have tried the leaf blower, but I found it too heavy after a while. I switched to using my shopvac in "blow" mode and that was much better. Still a pain, though, so I gave up and just drive 60mph for a few minutes. I just try not to look at my door jambs now that I don't dry them out with the shopvac.

Still, try as I might even after a hand wash where I made sure to use my noodly microfiber wash mitt to get into the "grills" crevices, I still get the dark water streaks after driving through rain on the highway. I know it's just the rain water accumulating and streaming out. I was hoping better minds and experience had a few tips for preventing this. Still hoping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts