Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a OwlCam backordered prior to buying my Bolt. I was on the fence about cancelling it, but I haven't and I do still want a dash cam in the car. It pulls power from the OBDII port under the dash and remains powered when the car is off for up to 24 hours and then it wakes on motion. Does anyone have an experience with how much power this will draw and how it will influence the number of miles per charge I am able to get out of the drive battery? Or will it just pull from the 12V battery? I'm not very technically knowledgeable about the distribution of power from the car battery and the drive battery.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Does anyone have an experience with how much power this will draw and how it will influence the number of miles per charge I am able to get out of the drive battery? Or will it just pull from the 12V battery? I'm not very technically knowledgeable about the distribution of power from the car battery and the drive battery.
I wouldn't know exactly how much power it draws, but it probably is around 5 watts or less. Assuming 5 watts, in 24hrs that would be 120 watt/hrs, which is 0.120 KwH. That works out to about half a mile of range assuming 4 miles per KwH (and assuming the 12v battery was not charged by being plugged in).

The power is drawn from the 12v battery. The 12v battery is charged from the wall whenever the big battery is being charged, or from the big battery while the car is being driven.

From a range perspective, the camera will have practically no impact.

Power consumption of a few different camera models:

Dash Cam Power Consumption
Thinkware F770 (2-CH) 3.5W
Thinkware F770 (1-CH) 2.5W
BlackVue DR650S-2CH 4.8W
BlackVue DR650S-1CH 3.4W
BlackSys CH-100B 2CH 5.0W
BlackVue DR3500-FHD 2.4W
Thinkware X550 2CH 3.5W
BlackVue DR750LW-2CH 5.9W
Thinkware F50 2.1W
FineVu CR500HD 2W
FineVu CR2000 OMEGA 5W

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.