Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Bd thing about a flooded Bolt is that it is now absolutely useless. Nobody is rebuilding Bolts. A flooded Tesla is still valuable for a clean chassis to use as a rebuild from a wreck.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bd thing about a flooded Bolt is that it is now absolutely useless. Nobody is rebuilding Bolts. A flooded Tesla is still valuable for a clean chassis to use as a rebuild from a wreck.
Redpoint will buy it as long as it's below his target of $10K. LOL

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm going to challenge the idea that anyone is taking a "chassis" (Tesla's are unibody btw) from a Tesla that's been submerged in what appears to be salt water storm surge from a hurricane to do anything with, other than sell for scrap.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm going to challenge the idea that anyone is taking a "chassis" (Tesla's are unibody btw) from a Tesla that's been submerged in what appears to be salt water storm surge from a hurricane to do anything with, other than sell for scrap.
That isn't saltwater storm surge. He's in Bridgewater, NJ which is pretty far inland - the problem is that as a result of massive amounts of rain, the Raritan River flooded. Although that area might actually have been a flash flood from Middle Brook.

He's not far away from a Chevy + Lexus dealer that basically had their entire inventory destroyed. There's a picture I saw on Facebook of a Chevy SUV with its rear wheels on top of a Lexus sedan.

That said, that thing is a total loss as is pretty much all of Bridgewater Chevy and Lexus of Bridgewater inventory

During the same floods, a mother and daughter had their vehicle submerged near the dealership. The daughter could swim and survived, the mother was missing for 2-3 days and was eventually found downstream in Middle Brook. :(

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That isn't saltwater storm surge. He's in Bridgewater, NJ which is pretty far inland - the problem is that as a result of massive amounts of rain, the Raritan River flooded. Although that area might actually have been a flash flood from Middle Brook.

He's not far away from a Chevy + Lexus dealer that basically had their entire inventory destroyed. There's a picture I saw on Facebook of a Chevy SUV with its rear wheels on top of a Lexus sedan.

That said, that thing is a total loss as is pretty much all of Bridgewater Chevy and Lexus of Bridgewater inventory

During the same floods, a mother and daughter had their vehicle submerged near the dealership. The daughter could swim and survived, the mother was missing for 2-3 days and was eventually found downstream in Middle Brook. :(
We need to add water pipeline to the Infrastructure Bill. Bring all those flood water into the Colorado River. Win-win!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I want to be proven wrong but that video is awful. Can you summarize? Was it flooded with salt water? I think that's the key thing for me. Not sure I'd ever want to rebuild anything for any reason that's been literally submerged in salt water cause in my head you're virtually guarenteed to get rust starting in a year becoming very destructive and impossible to deal with over the years after the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I want to be proven wrong but that video is awful. Can you summarize? Was it flooded with salt water? I think that's the key thing for me. Not sure I'd ever want to rebuild anything for any reason that's been literally submerged in salt water cause in my head you're virtually guarenteed to get rust starting in a year becoming very destructive and impossible to deal with over the years after the rebuild.
I am guessing by the fact that you do not know who this is means that you do not watch YouTube at all and if you do none of it is Car or EV related. It seems impossible to me for anyone that is at all into EV's does not know who Rich Rebuilds is. Some would say that this series on the rebuild of his MS85 is what started the dramatic rise in salvaged Tesla's. He is also one of the the owners of the Electrified Garage, one of the few full EV' repair shops in the US. It would be like a Muscle Head not knowing who Cleetus McFarland is or a Bass Player not knowing who Davie 504 is.

The gist is he bought a fully intact flooded S85, I don't recall if it was Salt or Fresh either way was flooded and in water for several days. He bought a wrecked S85. He pulled everything out of the flood car down to the bare frame and then put everything from the wrecked car into the flood car body. He then had a fully running and driving S85 that is now his daughters car that she drives every day, 4+ years later. After selling unused but good parts from the project his total cost in 2017 for a 2015 Model S 85 was ~$6,000. This was only possible then because nobody had done this before and the price for salvaged Tesla's was actually below the what a comparable ICE car would salvage for. Not long after this series salvage Tesla's started selling for close to retail value.

He is also the only person that has started and will soon finish an LS swap in to a Model S. Yes, putting a V8 LS into a former electric car.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The video can still be awful and everything you say, true.

I just wanted to know if it was salt water.
I really don't remember. It was 4 years ago and I have not re-watched. His old stuff is pretty bad but considering he worked a full time job + family at the time it is what you might expect. His stuff now is absolutely hilarious but he quit his job and I believe is divorced (as most full time YouTubers become) and has help in filming and making content.

·
Registered
332 Posts
So then you can admit he's everything you say, and it's still a bad video? Why was I getting yelled at again? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
So then you can admit he's everything you say, and it's still a bad video? Why was I getting yelled at again? :ROFLMAO:
Well, you made a statement that "Nobody" is rebuilding flooded Tesla's. I posted a video of "The" guy that has rebuilt flooded Tesla's but that was not enough. Apparently it "must" be a salt water flood for it to matter.

You made a statement out of ignorance. That statement was countered with factual data that you refuse to watch and then request more facts about the data that you refuse to watch. How is it that you want to be proven wrong when people deliver you the information to deliver you from ignorance but yet you still want a 3rd party opinion from the facts to dictate your acceptance. This is worthy of a Daily Show montage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts