Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when at a dead stop, especially on a hill, the car erroneously sets the parking brake if I'm not holding the traditional brake pedal down. None of the doors are open...

Has anyone else experienced this glitch?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sometimes when at a dead stop, especially on a hill, the car erroneously sets the parking brake if I'm not holding the traditional brake pedal down. None of the doors are open...

Has anyone else experienced this glitch?
Yes. Since the parking brake auto-disengages, it's harmless, you don't need to even notice that it has done it. I'm sure there is some rule for when it happens.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I am pretty sure it because the motor canno hold the car still on a steepish hill...
I think it's less about "can't hold the car on a hill" and more about "why waste battery power holding the car on a hill". We have these things called "brakes" which hold the car on inclines without having to send power through the motor, why not use them?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Page 212 of manual does caution:

Automatic EPB Release The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think it's less about "can't hold the car on a hill" and more about "why waste battery power holding the car on a hill". We have these things called "brakes" which hold the car on inclines without having to send power through the motor, why not use them?
Because when I drive in L mode unless its an emergency stop I never touch the brake.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Because when I drive in L mode unless its an emergency stop I never touch the brake.
No problem, as long as you don't mind a trickle of power going through the motor to hold you on an incline.

Me, I put my foot on the brake pedal when I'm stopped - partly to turn on the brake lights, partly to help keep the car from bouncing into the intersection if someone rear-ends me, and partly to keep my foot trained to use the brake pedal.

·
Registered
392 Posts
No problem, as long as you don't mind a trickle of power going through the motor to hold you on an incline.

Me, I put my foot on the brake pedal when I'm stopped - partly to turn on the brake lights, partly to help keep the car from bouncing into the intersection if someone rear-ends me, and partly to keep my foot trained to use the brake pedal.
I am not having issues going back and forth between my ice pickup. I just enjoy not having to press on the brake at intersections even knowing my rear brake lights are not on. I also think about if someone hits you from behind in a queue that you would roll much easier into the person in front. Maybe I need to go back to it....

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts

Excellent advice, for the reasons stated. I do the same. I think it is a good habit to hold over from the "ICE age".

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can hold the regen pedal or rest your foot on the brake to put the brake lights on and keep the electric E brake from engaging on inclines.

I use a combination of both, both will work, use the one that you are most comfortable with.

I just don't want to overuse the electric actuator, that someday will have the brake come on but not release or stick the caliper, taking out the pads and rotors in the process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.