Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I discovered that there's more to the automatic pedestrian braking system than the little "pedestrian" icon on the dash. I was in the curb lane slowing to a stop because of the red light at an intersection - the curb lane was empty so I was relaxing pressure on the accelerator pedal in my usual "L" mode to come to a stop at the stop line. There was a car at the stop line in the lane to my left, and behind it was a truck. As I was about to pass the truck a man and two kids popped out in front of it - they had crossed the street out of sight behind the truck and cut the corner on the crosswalk, going behind the car at the front of the line instead of in front of it where they should have been.

I wasn't going too terribly fast since I was already slowing down for the red light. First I hit the regen paddle because I thought that might be enough, and as I was moving my foot to the brake "just in case" the car lurched to a stop with a bit of a grinding noise. I think it left around 6 feet of space between the car and the errant pedestrians.

Left to my own devices I would have hit the brake pedal and probably ended up a bit closer to them. Still, it was kind of cool to see the auto-stop system in action.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Friend lives in a so-so neighborhood in San Francisco. She simply refuses to drive any car with such feature. She is ready to use her car as weapon when needed to ramp a bad guy trying to carjack her or what not. Such feature would render her weapon useless.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Does the safety system override the accelerator?

I once needed to turn into a parking garage from a main street in Las Vegas. There was a constant stream of people on the sidewalk, so it would have been hours before an opening allowed me to make the turn. Not wanting to block traffic behind me any longer, I slowly crept through the sea of people and they flowed around like a stream. An autonomous vehicle needs to allow a human to make these kinds of decisions. Also, if Antifa (or any irrationally violent group) ever gets violent towards my family, there's no way I'm going to stick around and take a beating from them. Pedal to the metal.

That said, I'd pay extra for an automated system that protects pedestrians (and especially bicyclists). These will be standard features in the future because the marginal cost to implement will be so low. Once you've got video cameras and a computer onboard, it's a relatively simple matter to add automated safety features.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the safety system override the accelerator?
I don't know and I'm not about to run an experiment to find out...

I slowly crept through the sea of people and they flowed around like a stream.
I really doubt that the auto stop system would prevent you from doing that. And it's the kind of experiment you could run easily and safely enough.

That said, I'd pay extra for an automated system that protects pedestrians (and especially bicyclists). These will be standard features in the future because the marginal cost to implement will be so low. Once you've got video cameras and a computer onboard, it's a relatively simple matter to add automated safety features.
Speaking as an old computer guy who got his start in the dying days of punched cards, the fact that someone would call this "relatively simple" boggles my mind...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Speaking as an old computer guy who got his start in the dying days of punched cards, the fact that someone would call this "relatively simple" boggles my mind...
More accurately, relatively cheap. Interpretation of visual information is enormously difficult. The point is though, all cars will have sensors or cameras at some point along with processing power, so if you have adaptive cruise for instance, you've already got most of everything required to avoid pedestrians and other hazards automatically.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Three observations: 1) When I was watching videos of the system, Chevy engineers drove toward a cardboard barrier with a pedestrian (I think 'walking' a bicycle) painted on it. The self-braking system kicked in, but it stopped just inches from the "barrier". 2) I think I read once that the system will not "necessarily" keep you from hitting the obstruction, but will GREATLY lessen the impact. 3) Two days ago I was driving ("D" mode) near home on a long street with a 30 MPH speed limit. It is "radar-ed" frequently by the police. It is so easy to "creep" faster that I I often use the cruise control to keep my speed right at 30. A car in front slowed for a right turn. No one was in the oncoming lane for a great distance, and I thought that instead of braking and then resetting the CC, I'll just aim to miss him and pull right back into my lane when past. The camera detection beam is wider than the EV is, and when the self-braking system detected the obstruction (lots of beeping) it activated and slowed me down without my hitting the brake or the regen paddle.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The self-braking system kicked in, but it stopped just inches from the "barrier".
Yeah, I think the fact that I was already slowing down meant there was a lot more space to spare. I was probably going only 15 km/h or so (around 10MPH) when the system kicked in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts