Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this is a broadly distributed GM feature but perhaps this is the most geeky and best place to ask a question about the Bolt's pedestrian detection feature.

I'm super impressed by how the ped. detection can discern a pedestrian from other vertically-oriented random objects alongside the road. A walker embedded in a row of shifting, obliquely-passing telephone poles is frequently visible to the system, for instance.

What I'm a little puzzled by is the gradually accumulating number of times a pedestrian has been visible dead-ahead of the car without triggering the initial dash indicator. I don't think I've presented a threat to any pedestrians so far in this car and of course don't plan on any live testing.

So I'm curious to know if anybody here has anecdotes of "success" with this feature, and as well if there's a source for more detailed explanations of expected behavior than the very carefully worded, liability-avoiding description found in the manual.

(Also, wouldn't it be nice if the ped. detection would optionally produce a rate-limited initial ping or chime when it first discerns a target, with a subsequent dead period to avoid nuisance? The indicator on the dash isn't very useful. An easy firmware update task, presumably.)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pulling into a parking spot today (and one pedal driving) when the car suddenly applied full braking. I can only assume it thought the building in front of me was an impending collision?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I mentioned this on the other thread. Friend lives in a so-so neighborhood in San Francisco. She absolutely refuses to drive a car with such feature. She is ready to use her car as a weapon to ramp a bad guy trying to carjack her or something. Such feature just takes away the only weapon to defend herself.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts