Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not saying that we need to go wayy faster than 92mph :)

But, the other day that speed was hit, and on the display it says speed limit is set at 92mph.
Did anyone encounter this ? Is this a hard set limit ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not saying that we need to go wayy faster than 92mph

But, the other day that speed was hit, and on the display it says speed limit is set at 92mph.
Did anyone encounter this ? Is this a hard set limit ?
I hit that also. I believe it is a software top speed to prevent mass battery drain. In one video I watched someone asked about battery drain at top speed. The engineers ran calculations and stated 170 miles at top speed theatrical. Real life I bet less depending on outside temp.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So theoretically.. if someone was able to perhaps remove the governors from the ecu.. we could go beyond the 92mph then.

How long did it take to get to 92mph anyhow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The speed is limited to 150 km/h which shows up on the dash as 92 mph. when in fact 93 mph would be closer to the limit of 150 km/h but if the car is limited to that it may slow just before the limit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The speed is limited to 150 km/h which shows up on the dash as 92 mph. when in fact 93 mph would be closer to the limit of 150 km/h but if the car is limited to that it may slow just before the limit.
No, the speedometer will go to 93, I've seen it in my Bolt on level freeway. The DIC does claim that speed is limited to 92, but it's not exactly. No doubt it's possible to go faster downhill...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As planted as the Bolt feels, going 150km/h is still pretty fast. At around 140 you start to feel like any sudden movements on your end could send you into the rail, pretty scary.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Can't see why there's a need to go over, let alone close to 150km/h in one of these. Don't really see the point in it ?
It's not a need to go over.. it's just a matter of if you can or not. I like to know how capable things are and on the occasion push some limits..

·
Registered
40 Posts
These electric motors in the Bolt EV can propel this platform to 120 Mph quite easily. The Battery drain at that load is not good for the battery pack it comes with. I can see aftermarket kits with better cells taking care of this problem and even stronger LG Electric drive units for those of us that feel the need, the need for speed!!

It really needs a 130 Kw/h power pack with double the cells it has now for this type of use though..

For regular commute traffic 93 Mph is plenty, for California roads, which are probably the worst in the world, its probably too much. The tires need changing and carbon rims are mandatory for the boy racer antics...

I see this is a popular way for some folks to waste their cash with dinosaur fueled toy racers and I expect similar antics will not be long in coming with all sorts of mods by these types of owners.

Cooling and crash bracing to prevent lithium cells committing acts of spontaneous combustion post impact would be interesting to see engineering wise.

Burning to death in a spontaneous lithium cell fire does solve cremation cost considerations though.....very effective is that one...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Burning to death in a spontaneous lithium cell fire does solve cremation cost considerations though.....very effective is that one...
I've never understood the fear mongering that electric car batteries seem to attract when gasoline is so much worse.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's not a need to go over.. it's just a matter of if you can or not. I like to know how capable things are and on the occasion push some limits..
I waiting for someone to put larger diameter tires on. Then if the motor is RPM limited you should be able to go 93mph time the ratio of the new tire diameter divided by the original equipment tire. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
In regards to spontaneously combusting, both EV and ICEs can possibly do it but it isn't very likely at all.

Doubt we'll really see anyone go with carbon fiber rims though. This isn't the type of platform you'll see people trying to go all out with. Yea some sticky tires, yea some aftermarket wheels, but nothing over the top. I honestly doubt they'll be much aftermarket support on this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kreisel Mod kits for Bolt

Ja,

Those mad Austrian follows that converted the Governators Mercedes G350d into a 458 HP electric monster are looking at future kits for this platform that includes 130 Kw/h battery pack and their electric motors.

Should be interesting if it ever see's the light of day sometime in around 5 years from now...

I may have to stark calling Arnie Maddick....

:eek:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A 458hp Bolt would be insanity.

But I would sign up for one in a heart beat LOL ! In around 5 years from now, it'll be interesting to see how the Bolt has progressed though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts