Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't see why there's a need to go over, let alone close to 150km/h in one of these. Don't really see the point in it ?
There are roads in the USA where speed the posted speed limit is 85 mph. It is not unreasonable to exceed the posted speed briefly for passing maneuvers.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ditto Colomb. I'm not sure, but I think I may hit the limiter several times a drive, allegedly. And I'm not doing anything unusual for my area. Everybody does these speeds to pass.

Its not really possible at this point to separate battery range from battery power capacity. That is why low range cars are low power cars. I mean I guess you COULD if you really went out of your way to do so, but they go hand in hand.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Its not really possible at this point to separate battery range from battery power capacity. That is why low range cars are low power cars. I mean I guess you COULD if you really went out of your way to do so, but they go hand in hand.
The 60-66 kWh of the Bolt battery is capable 2.5C/150 kW, because the motor can pull 150 kW. That power, with the Bolt's CdA of ~8 sq ft, and the Michelin tires Crr of ~.0085 is good for about 150 mph. So the Bolt is definitely being electronically limited, either for range concerns, or centrifugal limits of the motor.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Right.

They were talking about 485hp Bolts, which is why I mentioned the HP output thing. Probably not going to happen unless the battery gets a lot larger.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Right.

They were talking about 485hp Bolts, which is why I mentioned the HP output thing. Probably not going to happen unless the battery gets a lot larger.
OK. Got it. GM built the eCOPO Camaro using two 18.4-kWh Volt packs in series for 800 volts, and 700 hp.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Right.

OK. Got it. GM built the eCOPO Camaro using two 18.4-kWh Volt packs in series for 800 volts, and 700 hp.

Volt batteries are considered good options for light weight "hot rod" EV conversions where you are not concerned about long range, but want high horsepower, with Bolt being an option for heavier conversions going for longer range.

They have really good power density, so for a given weight in battery pack you can get a lot of power out. I didn't realize that the eCOPO used two 18.4 kWh batteries, but it makes sense since GM had them sitting around. If two of them supported 700 HP, I can see one 18.4 kWh battery supporting 350, and the Bolts 60 kWh pack would supply all the power you need for a "hot hatch" version... but GM will never produce it :(

Keith

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah but how many cycles will the pack last under that kind of abuse. SEMA cars are one thing, production cars are another.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Yeah but how many cycles will the pack last under that kind of abuse. SEMA cars are one thing, production cars are another.
How long does an ICE last if you redline it all the time? If you drive it normally, there should be no additional impact on the pack whatsoever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While I don't ofter cruise at speeds about 70 mph in my Bolt, I wouldn't mind having a motor capable of more speed. I'm thinking that, at 70 - 75 mph, there is less strain on a motor with a top speed of 135 mph than a motor with a top speed of 92 mph. In the latter case, the motor is approaching its limit much of the time, while in the former case, there is plenty of spare speed remaining above 70 - 75 mph.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
While I don't ofter cruise at speeds about 70 mph in my Bolt, I wouldn't mind having a motor capable of more speed. I'm thinking that, at 70 - 75 mph, there is less strain on a motor with a top speed of 135 mph than a motor with a top speed of 92 mph. In the latter case, the motor is approaching its limit much of the time, while in the former case, there is plenty of spare speed remaining above 70 - 75 mph.
Porsche shares your philosophy and for $200K they'll sell you a Taycan; you're good to go 162 MPH for as long as you care/dare for as long as the charge lasts.

jack vines

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is there any place in North America where you can legally drive faster than 90 mph? Why is this an issue?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Is there any place in North America where you can legally drive faster than 90 mph? Why is this an issue?
We have no knowledge of how you drive, only observation of ourselves and those around us. To paraphrase Tina Turner, "What's legal got to do with it?" Most of us in our daily driving are breaking a traffic law or regulation once a minute, if not more often. Read the regs. They are written so as to be impossible to follow in today's urban traffic. Unless one wants to be an electric rock in the stream, it is the norm to follow too closely, change lanes without proper signaling and without enough space, run 5-10 MPH above the posted limit, don't full stop if there's no oncoming traffic, et al. Obeying every written traffic regulation will likely subject one to road rage in short order. Given that the majority of drivers demonstrably choose not to follow traffic regulations in daily commute, why should running top end on a clear, open road be a problem with one's conscience? Does it endanger anyone else? Does it inconvenience anyone else? If not, your decision.

jack vines

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have taken my Bolt to the 1/4 mile drag strip, I think the limit there is north of 320 mph :)

Also, if you road course a Bolt you will be on the speed limiter on any significant strait away.

Keith

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have taken my Bolt to the 1/4 mile drag strip, I think the limit there is north of 320 mph :)

Also, if you road course a Bolt you will be on the speed limiter on any significant strait away.

Keith
1/4 mile. Me too. But it just hits the limit right at the end of the 1/4 mile. Coincidence?

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bolt is better suited to 1/8 mile drag strips. Very consistent, strong off the line, doesn't get anywhere close to the speed limiter, and is still accelerating going thru the timing lights.

Don't ask how I know, and don't mention this comment to my automobile insurance agent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As planted as the Bolt feels, going 150km/h is still pretty fast. At around 140 you start to feel like any sudden movements on your end could send you into the rail, pretty scary.
I ran against a BMW on a steep slope and I beat it before I maxed out (151 km/h I think). Then he passed me running way above my max limit. No sudden movements on mine... just smooth ride. In fact I didn’t even notice I was max speed before my Bolt EV looked like being pinned down and him coming fast from behind. I looked at the speedometer and I knew what happened.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts