Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Bolt owners!

What do you love about your Bolt EV ownership experience? What don't you love?

I'm reaching out from iHub, General Motors' internal incubator and innovation consultancy. GM believes in an all-electric future and you are a part of shaping that future. As we work towards growing the EV ecosystem, we could use your input.

Next week, we have a group of designers and engineers who want to learn about you and your driving habits. Are you in? We value your input and your time, so you'll be compensated with a $30 Amazon gift card.

Your commitment would be a one hour video call on Wednesday, January 31 from 2-3pm EST (11-12pm PST).

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested and I'll get back to you shortly!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That's great!

Would a questionnaire format work instead of a video call? For paranoia reasons, I deliberately do not have a camera on my laptop.

Also, no need for an Amazon gift card - cash would be just fine, $180.00/billable hour (gotta pay, somehow, the monthly lease fee to GM Financial).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm in, assuming I'm talking to actual designers and engineers, not just marketing people. Email sent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First a note: this is the best and most satisfying car we've ever owned! So much fun to drive, comfortable, and packed with Technology

Handling (fun to drive)
Performance
Touch screen / My link
DC Fast Charging
Steering wheel controls
Headlights (but auto high beams can be a little aggressive)
Climate System (heat AC)
Shifter (prefer Bolt version over Volt)
Camera rear view mirror (view is excellent)
Many, many more things (Love this car!!!)

Dislikes:
Touch controls for heated seats and some climate controls (prefer buttons in 16 Volt), hard to control with gloves
Need lighted charge port (also like Volt)
Need ACC (please!)
Need front proximity sensors/beeps for low speed parking
Self parking would be nice (like Volt)
On-board Nav is handy (also like Volt)
Need over the air updates for MyLink
When fast charge completes, disengage parking brake
Slightly larger rear cargo area would be nice

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey Bolt owners!

What do you love about your Bolt EV ownership experience? What don't you love?
I they haven't already, have the team read through every post on this site. Develop a short synopsis of the common
raves, praises, complaints, and wants. I don't think GM could pay an outside consultancy for a deeper unbiased understanding of
what actual GM Bolt customers (and prospective customers) are thinking.

The concall should perhaps revolve around the findings in this synopsis.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The car is much as expected based upon previous BEVs I've owned. It has exceeded my expectations in many ways.

I want:
--more comfy front seats

--a simple display of current battery SOC in percent that can be put on the display behind the steering wheel. The fancy bar chart graphic only give it to the nearest 5%. this is very useful for understanding remaining range, charging progress, etc, and simply annoying not to have.

--I am very disappointed by the aggressive taper of the charge rate on DCFC. I like that GM made the 17 Bolt future proof in terms of being able to access nominal 80 kW DCFCs....but it sounds like that power is only available below 35% SOC....limiting its usefulness. I think we will have a network of '150 kW' DCFCs in 2019, and a car that would be excellent for roadtrips were it not for this limitation. If my LEAF with a 24 kWh battery (from 2013) and no battery cooling can accept 42 kW up to 70-75% SOC, why can't the bolt with a battery 2.5X larger accept 42 kW up to 80%, or even 2.5*42 = 105 kW (as will be available nationwide in 2019) up to nearly that high?? I could also understand that if the cooling rate of the battery is not keeping up, stepping down the charge rate when the battery hits some high temp limit, but right now the max charge rate seems to be controlled by SOC alone, independent of battery temp (above a low battery temp threshold).

--As for the low temp DCFC speed limitation, I get it from an engineering POV. But there could be a user selectable 'road-trip mode' in which the Bolt will maintain the battery at a warm enough temp to allow max speed DCFC, despite the higher standby loss. This could simply switch off after 24 hours parked on EVSE, or 6 hours parked off an EVSE, by default.

--OTA software updates would be nice....the existing 'every module has its own software' only installed free on a 'need' basis (like a recall) is needlessly complicated and contrary to maximizing user experience.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The car is much as expected based upon previous BEVs I've owned. It has exceeded my expectations in many ways.

I want:
--more comfy front seats

--a simple display of current battery SOC in percent that can be put on the display behind the steering wheel.

--I am very disappointed by the aggressive taper of the charge rate on DCFC. I like that GM made the 17 Bolt future proof in terms of being able to access nominal 80 kW DCFCs....but it sounds like that power is only available below 35% SOC....limiting its usefulness.

--As for the low temp DCFC speed limitation, I get it from an engineering POV. But there could be a user selectable 'road-trip mode' in which the Bolt will maintain the battery at a warm enough temp to allow max speed DCFC, despite the higher standby loss. This could simply switch off after 24 hours parked on EVSE, or 6 hours parked off an EVSE, by default.

--OTA software updates would be nice....the existing 'every module has its own software' only installed free on a 'need' basis (like a recall) is needlessly complicated and contrary to maximizing user experience.

QFT.

My own listing while finishing morning coffee::

Gripes:

- No standardized GMC charging support at dealers. I love the BMW/Chargepoint (remember them? I got an RFID card with the car) model of having a charge unit right outside the front door and not buried behind the closed door of the service bay.

- seats are OK but could use some more padding. I have begun to mod mine for my own body comfort, and find the inner side retaining tracks to be unnecessary (vertical, where the kidneys are).

- 32amp charging at 240v could be bumped up to say 40amp to be able to complete a charge cycle from say midnight to 6am.

- torque steer

- AC and heat control on one button. When in manual mode, let me choose what the HVAC does.

- Push button for Park should not be on the top of the shifter. If it has to be there, make it (an option?) to double push to engage.

- bouncy little car at highway speeds could use some better springs/shocks/tires to soak up the imperfections in the road that unsettle it.

- no "frunk". Slightly tongue in-cheek here, but a front bin would be great for some of the EV accruements.

- while I have deep sixed the spare tire wheel well styrofoam, I would have preferred a better designed insert that would be able to stay in, while also fitting the EV charger, cords etc. The current design would be OK, if the extraneous bits could be cut off by the end user. So much wasted space.

- wimpy pins on the premium cargo shade that can break and not be easily replaced.

Headscratchers:

- not enough LEDs used.

- no GMC options for storage solutions for the large space under the dashboard (forget the name but in front of the gear shifter).

- no grab handles

- the 238 range is a nitpick as is. For daily "grocery" runs it is overkill, but for the times I road trip (with relatively crappy charging infrastructure on the routes), it's not enough by about a third. And I do road trip.

Loves:

- how quick the car warms up in the winter time of temps nearish to freezing. Insta butt and hand warming is a blessing.

- great visibility.

Like the car overall. My 1/2ton pickup is jealous of the time I spend with the car. I hope the AWD versions kick butt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am in! Email sent...

·
Registered
574 Posts
$30 is awfully cheap for a one hour targeted marketing study. In my experience, companies pay at least $100 as an 'honorariam' for these surveys. But I'll give you my feedback as a response in this forum.

User info: 1,156 miles on car built in November 2017, purchased Dec. 11, 2017. Used as commuter car: 180 miles per week, about one-third freeway, the rest on expressways and local streets. Cumulative mileage 3.8 .

Power: it rockets off the line, and has plenty of passing power on the freeway too
Range: I only need to charge once a week
Handling: I like the stiff suspension, and the low CG helps
Higher Seating Position: makes it easy to get into and out of the vehicle, improved field of view for the driver
Styling: I think it looks great
Regenerative braking: driving in 'L' mode makes heavy traffic much easier to deal with, and the 'boost' from the paddle makes brakes-free stopping even easier
Whisper Quiet: makes it so pleasant to drive
Headroom: I'm 6 foot one inch tall, and there is three inches or more of headroom

Dislikes: not much here
Tires: not enough grip. Of course, there is a tradeoff between range and traction
A lock on the power port is desirable: a release inside the car would be a simple addition
No coin purse: also a simple addition
I do not like the sliding center console/armrest: I wish it didn't slide
A space saver spare tire is desirable, even if it is an accessory. It appears there is enough room for one.
Judging by other posts, determining how much the battery has degraded is difficult to figure out: a software change should be able to provide this

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I talked to the iHub people today, looks like they had a whole bunch of parallel phone calls, so it was just me and 2 of them for ~30 minutes. I gave them my thoughts, plus a few thoughts that I'd seen here. More importantly, I told them to come browse our forums here, and get feedback from a larger audience. Hopefully, the feedback posted above (and eventually below) will get back to the people who can actually alter the design and engineering to suit our wants and needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I talked to the iHub people today, looks like they had a whole bunch of parallel phone calls, so it was just me and 2 of them for ~30 minutes. I gave them my thoughts, plus a few thoughts that I'd seen here. More importantly, I told them to come browse our forums here, and get feedback from a larger audience. Hopefully, the feedback posted above (and eventually below) will get back to the people who can actually alter the design and engineering to suit our wants and needs.
I talked to them today as well, and was equally surprised to have a “2 on 1” interview. Interestingly they’d booked me with two teams, so I had 2 x 30 min, and the questions were slightly different, but the same focus. In addition to vehicle issues, there were also a number of questions that led to charging networks, the scarcity of CCS EVSEs, etc, and I emphasized that GM needed to take more of a leadership role in buildout.

It was a good experience and I’m glad I had the opportunity to participate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Too bad I missed this. Sounds like a great idea, though. Let us/me know if it happens again. Or maybe get in touch with a mod to have it highlighted/promoted?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I too joined the two sessions with the two teams from IHUB. They asked some good and similar questions and I gave my feedback. Hopefully the data they collect from everyone lends it's way to next gen functionality as well as what they are doing right and what they can improve upon.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I too spoke with 3 of the the iHub team members this morning. Qualified myself as a 'high confidence - potential Bolt customer'.

They asked about:
1.) what I liked best
2.) What I didn't like
3.) My opinion on public charging infrastructure and longer trip driving habits.
4.) OTA software updates.
5.) [Interestingly] Autonomous vehicle potential.
6.) What would be the top 2 reasons to choose an EV in general and a Bolt in particular. (why I was interested in EV's to begin with)
7.) Dealership knowledge of the Bolt
8.) Overall Value
9.) How GM could better position and market EV's.
- my answer here was that education of the public about TCO, environmental concerns, excitement of instant torque, etc,
would be a daunting task - GM should simply recruit Steve Wozniak as their EV spokesperson in mass market ads (none of
them knew Wozniak owned a Bolt)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Dang, wish I had seen this earlier..
I saw it earlier, but I hemmed and hawed about whether I really wanted to do it too long. I decided yesterday, why not? But I forgot today was the day and I didn't get in in time. They said they would keep my info and that there may be another round, so you and I may still have a chance.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I, too, had two video (Skype) interviews with GM. It seemed there were one engineer and one marketing man in each 25 minute interview. (I may be wrong - they did not announce their titles or positions at GM.). They did not have specific questions but just wanted my impressions, likes, & dislikes. I echoed many themes tossed about in this Forum. I applauded safety, performance, comfort, and convenience. I decried the lack of a navigation system, adaptive cruise control, OTA software updates, and, most of all, a perception that GM’s advertising is ignoring the Bolt, and that they have not supported charging infrastructure development enough, especially as they have not made it easy for their dealers to upgrade their 16 amp Volt chargers to 32 amp Bolt EVSE. I recommended that every Bolt buyer should be given a Tesla (Level 2) plug adapter, just as every Tesla buyer is given a J-1772 plug adapter. They have my eddress for F/U if needed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I missed, but it would have been brief - I wouldn't change a thing except put black bowties on it. Now, get me the manager of the e-Vette program and I'll have plenty to say about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm a noob at using these forums and don't really know how to reply to each one of you individually, but I'm really happy to hear you had a good experience with us! Thanks a ton again. We had just taught the teams how to interview prior to talking with you, so it's good to know that they picked up quickly.

For those of you that we didn't get a chance to talk with, we may have more opportunities in the upcoming weeks, so please reach out if you're still interested!

And I totally agree that you guys on the forum are the people to get to know and talk with; it's been eye opening.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Sheryas, Thank you and the teams for Reaching out to us. Hope you can put our feedback to good use!

Thanks Again for the Amazon gift card.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts