Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am really not able to live without the look and feel of my Tesla with that big screen and the map always on...

I do not want to play with CarPlay and I am going for the OnStar (ATT?) unlimited data plan as I think it is a great deal at 20/mo...seems like I using 1Gig a day as my free trial is used up.

Anyway I am shopping for tablets (IPad or Galaxy or cheaper) and I want to permanently affix it to the Bolt preferably just below or above the Infotainment screen.

Any lead on solid holders that will nicely fit with the Bolt? I have no need to take the tablet with me as I leave the car. I also live on a farm and driveway is rough and therefore this thing needs to be able do deal with rough conditions.

Reactions: rgmichel

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted an iPad Mini 4 on my Bolt to use Waze, with good results. This mounted which I stuck on the false switches on the lower right portion of the dash worked well

WizGear Universal Stick On Dashboard Magnetic Car Mount Holder

Proclip also makes a mount for the Bolt - not sure if it is strong enough to hold an iPad

Proclip Bolt Dash Mounts
Hey I bought an Ipad Mini 4 but am realizing that it does NOT have GPS built in (unless you buy the cellular version of it)

Back to the drawing board and a Samsung Tablet.
on the subject of tablet holders I ordered that one:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0IQTE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I had the idea of getting a 12-14 oz. black (or same color as your Bolt) metal cup (no handle) that fits snugly in either cup holder. Put the "base" end (with clamp removed) of an "ANKO 360 Degree Rotating Fashion Universal Flexible Gooseneck Long Arm Tablet Stand for IPAD (BLACK)" {$14.99} to the bottom of the center of the cup. Support it in place and fill the cup to the top with wet quick-setting cement. This should weigh >2 pounds. When completely dry (72-96 hours), it should be stable and allow you to place the tablet in front of, below, or off to the right of the infotainment screen. You could paint or cover the concrete with felt. The iPad could be positioned vertically or horizontally. If the co-pilot's seat is empty, you have great position flexibility! It also is in close proximity to the USB ports. Portable, removable, storable, and very sturdy, this setup avoids drilling holes in or putting a (very strong) clamp on the plastic interior.

Alternatively, could you use a shorter 8-10 oz. cup with 3 pounds of lead fishing weights, covered with polyurethane foam (from a can, plumbing department) to the top of the cup?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The iPad Mini is the perfect size for using Waze

I like the gooseneck/cup holder ideas. My mount is problematic in that it blocks part of the dash

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bad Elf GPS dongle for non-cellular iPad mini

Hey I bought an Ipad Mini 4 but am realizing that it does NOT have GPS built in (unless you buy the cellular version of it)
I use a non-cellular iPad mini to navigate in my Bolt EV. I use a "Bad Elf" GPS receiver. This works fine so you can use WAZE and Google maps etc with no problem. This way you can use the car's wireless network for the internet connection, which is a big advantage because it is so much more powerful than a cell phone. The only disadvantage is that Bad Elf loses the GPS satellites, especially after turning the car off and then back on again later. This can be somewhat frustrating, but I understand that cell phones often lose the satellites too.

I still have not found a good way to mount the iPad near the dashboard. I am using a cup-holder mount right now, but it places the iPad right over the gear stick. This is not a huge disadvantage, because I can use the gear stick, blind, anyway.

Addendum: You can hook up the iPad mini to the car using bluetooth, or the aux input, to put the sound on the car's speakers. Alternatively, you can listen to the sound through the iPad's speakers, which is what I usually do. The bluetooth option disables any other bluetooth device you might want to use, such as a cell phone. Also, the interruption from the iPad over any other sound from the car is a bit glitchy in bluetooth. So, the aux works fine, as long as you play music from the iPad, for example, Pandora, or iTunes or whatever. However, the most flexible is to use the sound from the iPad, because you can listen to other music on the car's speakers through a usb port with an iPod for example, or SiriusXm, etc. as well as use the bluetooth for a cell phone or other device. Geez, so many options.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here what I got so far...ended up with large 9.7" Samsung tablet (has GPS) and unlimited data plan.

Very close to Tesla feel

probably would be better with 8" tablet

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
probably would be better with 8" tablet
Agreed. The iPad Mini is the perfect size. Maybe a big phablet would work?

PS: The Tesla screen is not the greatest user interface (not even close to a good tablet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts