Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
San Fran wants to buy out PG&E equipment in the city and make their own micro grid, would be super awesome if that happens... can show the rest of the US what is possible with renewable+battery storage. Would not hurt if we also implement V2G, as suggested above. If I were living in SF, I would have a 60KWh battery that can help the cause.

·
Registered
488 Posts
San Fran wants to buy out PG&E equipment in the city and make their own micro grid, would be super awesome if that happens... can show the rest of the US what is possible with renewable+battery storage. Would not hurt if we also implement V2G, as suggested above. If I were living in SF, I would have a 60KWh battery that can help the cause.
LOL, government run electric system... can you say expensive AND horrible customer service? Anywhere I have lived that had government control of the electrical system it was a nightmare.

Keith

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't really formed an opinion on California's PG&E, or subscribed to hating it -- although I was a bit miffed when they started charging the $10/mo solar connection fee, seeing as I generate excess power during peak hours from which they probably make a handsome profit.

In 23 years at my current location, I've really had no issues whatsoever and incredibly reliable power. Also, the utility is so highly regulated I almost feel sorry for them. They can't set their own prices, they're subject to NEM metering, cities switch everyone's source to "green" generating companies, etc. I'm sure there are other valid reasons to hate them, like they're just too porky and inefficient.

It seems a grave injustice that they have been held 100% responsible for burning huge areas of Northern California, and then sued into instant bankruptcy. Maybe they were realistically 0.1% responsible. I say that because the affected population chose for themselves to live in huge tinderboxes ready to go off for any reason. The potential for ever larger conflagrations increases constantly in those areas. There is no viable forest management policy to be had, as we can't let natural burns take their course, can't do controlled burns in increasingly populous areas, and can't manually garden a zillion acres.

Everyone wants their power and wants it safe, but nobody wants to pay higher prices. It is regulators who ultimately decide how much we pay and who should find a way to fix this. Maybe the CPUC and FERC should be held 99.9% responsible?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
LOL, government run electric system... can you say expensive AND horrible customer service?
I've been pretty happy with BC Hydro, the crown corporation that supplies power up here in British Columbia. Their biggest issue is that the provincial government keeps raiding their coffers, but I suppose if they didn't do that then they'd just tax us some other way. But in terms of service and reliability I think they're right up there with the best.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am actually contemplating getting a single powerwall because of the PG&E policy. I think they will be cutting off power quite a bit even in low risk events.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
BMW and PG&E piloted a program with i3 customers in SF where they could opt in to delaying charge of their vehicles during unusually high electricity demand. That's a small step toward V2G. They might even have a phase 2 of the program in the works, if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, if micro grid was economically viable in a large metro, it probably would already have been done. I'm happy for SF to try it for us all though. Maybe they know something the rest don't, but it's unlikely.

^^^
I dunno. Seattle City and Light was fine I lived there for a bit under a year was also really cheap.
The bulk of Seattle power comes from hydro; among the cheapest there is. The cheap and reliable energy has more to do with the fortunate location of the city, and less to do with how that resource is managed. Of course, poor management can cause any number of problems, but hydro is among the oldest and least complex methods of generating electricity.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
SDG&E just announced a large basic fee request to penalize solar power users. They will use any excuse to maintain the highest electrical rates in the country. Now I have to consider getting a Powerwall in addition the the extensive solar already installed. Quite a race to stay ahead of those crooks...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^
I dunno. Seattle City and Light was fine I lived there for a bit under a year was also really cheap.

Silicon Valley Power for Santa Clara, CA residents only (I don't live there) is incredibly cheap vs Pacific Gouge & Extort (where I'm at): http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/for-residents/rates.
Wow, so do Santa Clara residents have the option to choose between SVP instead of PG&E? Or is it zoned/assigned based on your address?

·
Registered
514 Posts
A friend in Sacramento said SMUD pays him to charge his Tesla after midnight, its a demand-levelling scheme probably because much of their input is hydro. Sac Muni Utility District bought the infrastructure from PGE some 70 years ago. Its run well and rates are lower than PGE, even after one costly disaster - Rancho Seco Nuclear Plant never did run very long between many expensive overhauls with years-long downtimes, until the voters finally said 'enough' and shut it down. Paying for the dead nuclear plant remains a costly burden to the ratepayers - but not as costly as PGE rates.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend in Sacramento said SMUD pays him to charge his Tesla after midnight, its a demand-levelling scheme probably because much of their input is hydro. Sac Muni Utility District bought the infrastructure from PGE some 70 years ago. Its run well and rates are lower than PGE, even after one costly disaster - Rancho Seco Nuclear Plant never did run very long between many expensive overhauls with years-long downtimes, until the voters finally said 'enough' and shut it down. Paying for the dead nuclear plant remains a costly burden to the ratepayers - but not as costly as PGE rates.
Wow, so one can potentially buy a couple of powerwalls and charge it after midnight and use that power during the day?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to ask him that, next time I see him.
I expect that "get paid after midnight" going away in a couple of years. I foresee SMUD buying utility sized battery bank like San Diego to just save that energy for deployment during the day - or even sell the energy to PG&E. :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wow, so one can potentially buy a couple of powerwalls and charge it after midnight and use that power during the day?
If you're talking about charging the Powerwalls after midnight...no. It's forbidden by most utilities in the States to charge Powerwalls from the grid at night in order to time shift and take the benefit of the TOU deltas.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do you use the Powerwalls as backup only, or do you run 'em to avoid grid consumption during peak usage? My interest in V2G and battery backup systems is to smooth demand and reduce utility price volatility.
I've got mine configured to "Backup Only", however I do flip the main and also change their configurations periodically to test them. I'm not on a TOU (SCE), because the fixed daily costs on the various TOU options outweigh the savings for my consumption level. I remain on Residential Tiered, and the vast majority of what I'm actually billed for is in Tier 1. PV satisfies roughly 85% of my annual usage.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts