Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may not be Bolt specific, but a useful add-on for drivers. I use my Bolt to deliver Meals On Wheels, among other things. We get our daily assignments via an app that contains our customer by names and addresses and any special instruction (Be patient, this client may be very slow, etc.). It includes a street map and and cues to help locate clients. I received the WeatherTech CupFone as a gift and found it VERY helpful for my routine.
As you can see, it keeps my phone right where it can be seen with minimal eyes off the road and fits handily in the cup holder.
Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Registered
Ok.

Do you know that all you need is to plug the phone into one of the ports on the center console (like you are charging it), and the infotainment screen becomes what is on your phone screen. You can see it even better than the phone no matter where the phone is. It is also easier to use the much larger Bolt touch screen.

But that is an attractive phone holder 馃檪

Registered
Ok.

Do you know that all you need is to plug the phone into one of the ports on the center console (like you are charging it), and the infotainment screen becomes what is on your phone screen. You can see it even better than the phone no matter where the phone is. It is also easier to use the much larger Bolt touch screen.

The special app he uses for meals on wheels is not likely compatible with AA or CarPlay, so if he wants to use the app, the vehicle display is of little use.

Registered
The special app he uses for meals on wheels is not likely compatible with AA or CarPlay, so if he wants to use the app, the vehicle display is of little use.
Not a knowledgeable person regarding what apps work on the infotainment screen, but the apps I have tried to use all work. I am strictly CarPlay, no Google in my family. So I am probably just making an assumption that his app will work, since he didn鈥檛 say he tried it 馃檮

Registered
Not a knowledgeable person regarding what apps work on the infotainment screen, but the apps I have tried to use all work. I am strictly CarPlay, no Google in my family. So I am probably just making an assumption that his app will work, since he didn鈥檛 say he tried it 馃檮
There is a specific list of compatible programs on Apple's website. It is about 2/3 of the way down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.

I understand that, but I want very much to make it with Bluetooth and I do not have the competence to achieve that goal! Must I start Android Auto?

Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
I understand that, but I want very much to make it with Bluetooth and I do not have the competence to achieve that goal! Must I start Android Auto?
The Bolt doesn't support Android Auto with wirelessly. If you want to use AA with the Bolt, you have to plug it in. At least that's the case for my 2017 Premier.

ga2500ev

Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
The cup phone holder is great in functionality but I hate to lose a cup holder. I bought this phone holder magnet and mounted it next to the right of the main screen.
Actually that angle also helps me keep my eyes better on the road.

Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
I have a similar one, cup phone holder, I like it.
I routed the cable around and up through it's bottom half to keep it in place.
I see it's available in tennis ball yellow!

Registered
My meals on wheels branch does everything on paper, luckily.

I had to deliver to a fellow named "Bob Hu" every week, and the instruction was to call him 10 minutes ahead of time so he could be ready when I came. I put his number in my contact list so I could use the Google assistant to call him with a voice command. But there's something weird about it, when I say "Hey Google - call Bob Hu" it would never work. I tried changing the name in my contact list to "Bob Who", and it still didn't work. The assistant seems to get hung up because it thinks the word "who" turns it into a question or something.

My eventual solution was to give him a unique first name so I could just say "Hey Google - call Ferdinand".

Registered
Another ProClip fan. If you get a long cable you can route it up behind the panel and over to the plug in the center console.

Registered
That ProClip is nice! I would plug in my phone and use AA, but I have never succeeded in making it work. It would work for a short time and freeze up. I did various things and worked through the troubleshooting steps and have changed settings in my phone, tried different cords and bought a new cord, etc.

There are only a few possibilities left of what is the problem (my cheap phone or the usb plug in the car). Likely it is the phone. I am not willing to go out and spend money on a new phone just to use AA. Hence I am using my phone and a windshield mount.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My meals on wheels branch does everything on paper, luckily.

I had to deliver to a fellow named "Bob Hu" every week, and the instruction was to call him 10 minutes ahead of time so he could be ready when I came. I put his number in my contact list so I could use the Google assistant to call him with a voice command. But there's something weird about it, when I say "Hey Google - call Bob Hu" it would never work. I tried changing the name in my contact list to "Bob Who", and it still didn't work. The assistant seems to get hung up because it thinks the word "who" turns it into a question or something.

My eventual solution was to give him a unique first name so I could just say "Hey Google - call Ferdinand".
I too have a "slow mover" and our solution is for me to dial her up and allow one ring. Then hang up and do it again, after the second ring she knows it it me and starts for the door!

Registered
2020 Bolt LT
The cup phone holder is great in functionality but I hate to lose a cup holder. I bought this phone holder magnet and mounted it next to the right of the main screen.
Actually that angle also helps me keep my eyes better on the road.
That is exactly how mine is set up. IMO the cup holder method is way to low for easy viewing.

Registered
The Bolt doesn't support Android Auto with wirelessly. If you want to use AA with the Bolt, you have to plug it in. At least that's the case for my 2017 Premier.

ga2500ev
There are wireless adapters you can get. I use a CarLinKit Mini to connect to CarPlay wirelessly. It鈥檚 about the size of an AirPods case and has a USB cable a few inches long. It just sits down by the USB connectors. When I get in the car, my phone connects within a few seconds. Of course, the phone doesn鈥檛 charge when it鈥檚 not plugged in, so on a road trip, it makes more sense to just plug the phone in, but for daily use, the CarLinKit is perfect.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts