Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday -1/31, picked up a Bolt LT in Eugene Oregon and drove it home to S. Oregon, about 10 miles beyond Cave Junction. I was apprehensive about making it home without charging, knowing how many hills and steep grades I would have to go over to get home and also because I hadn't fully set up accounts to use charge stations enroute. Anyway, I drove pretty moderately , around 60 mph and kept the defrost/ heat to 63 degrees.The outside temp was about 46 most of the day.
So I ended up getting home ( 182 miles) with 40 miles of range left.Impressed with the car, esp. the regen - I just drove it in D w/o using the steering wheel regen paddles.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That’s quite a hard break-in on the stator / rotor/ brushes ? :p

Battery didn’t seem to care though. Nice mileage. How’s the seat comfort after 3+ hours ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat seemed fine to me - maybe because I was concentrating on the miles of range still remaining -Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
That’s quite a hard break-in on the stator / rotor/ brushes ? :p

Battery didn’t seem to care though. Nice mileage. How’s the seat comfort after 3+ hours ?
Good news is, the Bolt has an induction motor in it, so no brushes and therefore one less maintenance item. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good news is, the Bolt has an induction motor in it, so no brushes and therefore one less maintenance item. :D
No, the Bolt EV has a permanent magnet (PM) AC Motor like most EVs other than Tesla (which uses AC induction motors) but AC PM motors don't have brushes either so there is no scheduled maintenance.

http://www.media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/bolt-ev/2017.tab1.html

Even the oil that lubricates the bearings and drive gears and helps cool the motor does not have a replacement schedule (it is nominally a "lifetime" fluid although some people may opt to replace it eventually maybe after a decade or so and 150,000+ miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts