Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on making a trip from Illinois to Kentucky. There are two stops I am planning on making, one at a Ricker's (Greenlots) and the other at a Walmart (EVgo). Does anyone have experience charging from these networks? I have already created accounts for both networks and attached my credit card info, though I haven't received a membership card for either yet. I am fully prepared to wait up to 2 hours per stop. However, I am concerned that if I walk away from my Bolt for this long, that it will have stopped charging and I would have wasted my time. I have heard that EVgo stops charging after 30 minutes. Can you restart the charge from the website or an app, or must I return to the charger to restart? Also, I am unfamiliar with Greenlots chargers, would this be a similar situation? I would appreciate any details! Thank you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
So I am planning on making a trip from Illinois to Kentucky. There are two stops I am planning on making, one at a Ricker's (Greenlots) and the other at a Walmart (EVgo). Does anyone have experience charging from these networks? I have already created accounts for both networks and attached my credit card info, though I haven't received a membership card for either yet. I am fully prepared to wait up to 2 hours per stop. However, I am concerned that if I walk away from my Bolt for this long, that it will have stopped charging and I would have wasted my time. I have heard that EVgo stops charging after 30 minutes. Can you restart the charge from the website or an app, or must I return to the charger to restart? Also, I am unfamiliar with Greenlots chargers, would this be a similar situation? I would appreciate any details! Thank you.
I have not yet had the pleasure of using Greenlots chargers so I have no feedback

All evGo chargers I've ever used stop after 30 minutes - and there is no way that I have discovered to remotely start the next "session" - recommend you plan a visit back to the car around 25 minutes into your first session - this is a pain and I have complained to evGo but more people pointing this out to them will probably help.

for the most part once you are at 80/90% charge the DCFast chargers aren't much faster than L2 chargers due to the AMP tampering that goes on - when using the EVGo charger in Vacaville, CA two 30 minute sessions were about all the car could take in that a solid hour of charging gets you to the point of diminishing returns as far as charge rate goes…'

good luck and make sure you consult plug-share for L2 chargers should you need them - I see lots of L2 chargers so that can be plan "B"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the incite on EVgo. Such a shame that there is no way to remote start the next session. Level 2 chargers will definitely be my backup plan. Thanks! This will be an adventure for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I appreciate the incite on EVgo. Such a shame that there is no way to remote start the next session. Level 2 chargers will definitely be my backup plan. Thanks! This will be an adventure for sure.
I read somewhere that you can phone EVgo support and they can restart a charge for you remotely. Can't promise that will work, but might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Heard the same about EvGo: that a phone call can initiate a restart remotely. Be sure to take the EVSE unit number (and its location as per PlugShare) with you as they may need that. Set your phone timer for 30 minutes and call them back. I have not done this, but I have called them and all of the "call answerers" have been very nice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Even though the EVgo website may show charging stations working and available the information may not be correct. So far I've had a 60% success rate, trying 5 different stations and finding only 3 actually working. Also, my experience has been that you will likely get about 75 miles added in a 30 minute session, not the 90 miles that is sometimes talked about. Good luck. When everything goes as planned it's great fun traveling all electric.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts