Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday, Platypus (Autonomous Chevy Bolt) was spotted trotting around San Francisco. Seen with a host of sensors, the Bolt seemed to be driving behind the Uber and Square buildings.

Now are there people accompanying this vehicle inside as well or do they just let it roam the streets on it's own watching a video feed somewhere ?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I remember seeing it mentioned from Tesla that even when they have self driving cars on the road, it won't be fully autonomous to the point no one will be required to sit in the drivers seat and it's likely no other systems will operate any different for a while. Someone will need to monitor how it drives and make corrections where required. We have a long way to go till these are completely hands off.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember seeing it mentioned from Tesla that even when they have self driving cars on the road, it won't be fully autonomous to the point no one will be required to sit in the drivers seat and it's likely no other systems will operate any different for a while. Someone will need to monitor how it drives and make corrections where required. We have a long way to go till these are completely hands off.
That's what I was thinking.. especially considering this is "testing" and they are obviously subjected to flaws and mistakes, if something were to go wrong... someone has to be able to manually override things and take control. It's just when you read these articles they make it seem like no one is piloting anything and they just let the car roam free lol

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I did not know that the autonomous Bolt was called the Platypus until now. We're still a long way from taking a nap while the car drives itself, but at least it can help reduce the strain of long distance highway travel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread where one already existed so here is some info on 130 autonomous Bolts in production. Also interesting to follow the links in the article to see an autonomous demo from Feb of this year. I did laugh when I saw the Bolt stop at a stop sign, but an oncoming car just sort of flew through at 55 secs.

Personally, I'm interested in the safety features of an autonomous car, for example, crash avoidance. Right now, the Bolt just warns of a blind side situation but isn't active in preventing a collision. I believe that the Tesla is the same way for blind spots, but not positive.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/13/gm-self-driving-chevy-bolt-ev/

SFT

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread where one already existed so here is some info on 130 autonomous Bolts in production. Also interesting to follow the links in the article to see an autonomous demo from Feb of this year. I did laugh when I saw the Bolt stop at a stop sign, but an oncoming car just sort of flew through at 55 secs.

Personally, I'm interested in the safety features of an autonomous car, for example, crash avoidance. Right now, the Bolt just warns of a blind side situation but isn't active in preventing a collision. I believe that the Tesla is the same way for blind spots, but not positive.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/13/gm-self-driving-chevy-bolt-ev/

SFT
I think the hardware/software issues are pretty close to ready. What will be a real test is if Musk can pull off the coast to coast autonomous road trip by the end of this year, including the famous snake charging. Then it will be more a matter of when the states will allow it legally. Here's a video of the system in action.
https://www.tesla.com/autopilot/
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/12/tesla-inc-is-still-planning-to-demonstrate-a-cross.aspx
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/watch-teslas-snake-charger-slither-model/story?id=32923539

·
Super Moderator
2,557 Posts
And this is why I think that the whole "autonomous driving" marketing craze is just hype. When the consumer finds out the true limitations both technology wise, liability wise and legally, they aren't going to be so hot on it. When they find out that they still have to sit in the driver's seat, be attentive, watch the road, keep their hands on the wheel most of the time and be sober, they're going to wonder what's the point? Why get it? Adaptive cruise control is just about as good at a fraction the price.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
People are expecting the kind of autonomy where you can just take a nap in one place and wake up in another. Not going to happen so long as there are still cars on the streets that are controlled by humans only because that makes driving more unpredictable. Ideal for long road trips and when I'm a lot older, but even then it may not be a possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts