Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

Why would Chevy BOLT designers design the charger handle without a light after Chevy Volt charge handle has a light? It's not the easiest thing to plug in the Bolt charge handle in a dark garage without a light at the end of the plug in. Much easier to plug in the Volt in a dark space. Wazzup with that. Why give up such a small yet useful plug in feature?

Dr. T:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the Bolt charge port not light up when opened? My Prius does. I've not seen an EVSE with a light yet, but it does seem useful.
My EV Bolt charge port does not light up, neither does the charge cord plug in handle. It's all in the dark. My Volt handle has a small light on its tip so that one can clearly see where to put it to plug in. Seems like a remarkable design oversight especially since both cars are GM Chevy products.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There might be an accessory light panel?

I was digging around the accessory part list planning out what I would like to do with the Bolt, I found this part number with this description Charge Port Illuminated - 84079437. I haven't seen it, haven't been able to see it on a part schematic, not even sure if it's a Bolt part. Would be nice if it was. Anyone have any experience with that part number?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I was digging around the accessory part list planning out what I would like to do with the Bolt, I found this part number with this description Charge Port Illuminated - 84079437. I haven't seen it, haven't been able to see it on a part schematic, not even sure if it's a Bolt part. Would be nice if it was. Anyone have any experience with that part number?
I swear I read somewhere that an illuminated charge port would be a future option. Not sure if '17 Bolts will be able to be retrofitted though.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Depends on how the port is lit up, could be a simply switch of a plastic panel if the lights are surrounding the port like the Volt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe a thin LED tap light might be better, stick it on the inside of your charge port door.

SOAIY Battery Powered Ultra-thin Touch Sensor LED Tap Lights, Stick-on Touch Detected Night Lights for Cabinet, Closet, Car, Storage Room, Utility Room, 3 Packs, Daylight White

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powered-Ultra-thin-Detected-Daylight/dp/B074C8HCF7/ref=lp_5772206011_1_22?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1504539511&sr=1-22[/ame]

I haven't used these, I have no idea if they would fit, don't buy them and blame me if they don't.

evGO should installed LED lighting in their receptacles, I've used several of their DCFC stations and getting the plug back into their station isn't easy in the dark

·
Registered
4 Posts
GM's part catalog lists the Illuminated Charge Port Housing 84079437 for "2017-2018" models.
I'm certain my another owner here confirmed it is an accessory available from his nearest dealership. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Poor mans charge port light

I know this is an old thread, but trying to keep info consolidated rather than starting a new thread.

I got a keychain flash light at home depot and velcroed it in the bottom of the charge port well. It's not aimed at the plug, but it gives off enough light for you to see what you need to get plugged in.

Looks like attachments from my google photos aren't working... so here's the URL https://photos.app.goo.gl/GChTcjpWJmgqcPUs8

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since it's in a garage, if the wall nearest where you want light is where the charge cord is, Harbor Freight / Walmart / Etc has a battery powered LED light that is very bright, shaped like a simple house overhead light switchplate, with a light above and below the toggle. That should illuminate way more than just the bare minimum. Tax included, less than $5.00 and you can self adhesive it on the wall, I think. {Ours is attached to a metal door using the built in magnet, so I could be wrong here.}

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Have adequate lighting installed in your garage.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Have adequate lighting installed in your garage.
Not everyone parks in a garage. Some people park in their driveway. Some people have to rely on public charging where the lighting is less than adequate and not under their control.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not everyone parks in a garage. Some people park in their driveway. Some people have to rely on public charging where the lighting is less than adequate and not under their control.
The OP uses the garage. A small LED flashlight kept in the glove box easily solves this issue for anyone else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts