Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is it possible to plug in my Bolt into 110V or 240V but not have it ever charge? I want to just use plug to condition battery and precondition cabin in winter. I can charge the Bolt at work.

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nope, only when it's already at full charge (which is either 100% or 90% hill top reserve). Best you can do is put the OEM EVSE on and run it at 8A, that will charge the slowest rate it will accept. Note the car will not charge at anything less than 8A.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Theoretically, if you set your energy rates to 100% “on peak”, and set your charging preference to “off peak only” the car would never be able to start charging.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I guess you could set charging to "Departure" mode... and set your departure for 3pm or something like that.
Plug in when you get home at night, the Bolt will have access to 240v for conditioning, but it won't charge up.
When you want to actually recharge- remove the J-Handle from the charge port and plug it back in within 5 seconds.. you'll hear the charging chirp and the dashboard charge status LED should turn green indicating charging has started.

Page 235 in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback. I will try the 100% peak and set to charge only on off-peak and see if it works. Setting 3pm departure might not work as I will only be using 110 at home, and at 8 amps it might start charging soon when I get home because 110 takes so long to charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts