Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Premier Slate Gry Blk Int, 240/32a EVSE w/NEMA15-40 on 40a circuit
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a 240v plug receptacle in my garage prior to the delivery of my 2021 Bolt EV LT2. Does anyone know what plug type (NEMA5-15 or NEMA14-50) will be on the Level 2 charging cable that's supplied with the vehicle?

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
I want to install a 240v plug receptacle in my garage prior to the delivery of my 2021 Bolt EV LT2. Does anyone know what plug type (NEMA5-15 or NEMA14-50) will be on the Level 2 charging cable that's supplied with the vehicle?
.Most L2 EVSEs come with a 14-50 plug. I think that is a safe bet. They may have an adapter for 5-15, 120 volt plug, but the primary plug will be capable of 240 volts and 32 amps

So they told you the 2021 comes standard with a L2 EVSE? The current ones have all come standard with an L1 EVSE.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
88 Posts
I bought my lvl 2 with 6 50 plug already on it because I already have that plug for my welder. GJetson is correct most come with 14 50 either will work just fine. When you buy yours just keep in mind which one you need or want to install. Make sure you have the appropriate amp breaker for you charger.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
88 Posts
Does anyone know what plug type (NEMA5-15 or NEMA14-50) will be on the Level 2 charging cable that's supplied with the vehicle?
[/QUOTE]
The cable that should come with Bolt will be Nema 5-15 because it is 110 volts lvl 1. They will not give a lvl 2 cable for charging. You will need to purchase one on your own.

·
Registered
606 Posts
L2 is not fast charging. Besides that, L2 is already standard on all EVs it's just that the included EVSE with the Bolt is an L1 unit. The chart in the article you're sharing shows this.

I doubt they are going to start including L2 units with the Bolt. L1 is universally available at all homes and so makes the most sense to include with an EV, unless they were going to include one similar to Tesla's. I imagine we would have gotten wind of that if it were true.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
L2 is not fast charging. Besides that, L2 is already standard on all EVs it's just that the included EVSE with the Bolt is an L1 unit. The chart in the article you're sharing shows this.

I doubt they are going to start including L2 units with the Bolt. L1 is universally available at all homes and so makes the most sense to include with an EV, unless they were going to include one similar to Tesla's. I imagine we would have gotten wind of that if it were true.
This all comes about because of confusion over charging nomenclature.

Prof. Kelly does a good job explaining the situation. The only error I found was his mention of there being no DC Level 1 chargers. There are in fact lots of "25 kW" units hanging on walls. Unless this was not only capacity limited, but has a different plug style.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
@iRon where do you see 240V EVSE being included with the 2021 model Bolts?

Realize, there are 3 levels of charging. L1 (120VAC), L2 (240VAC), and L3 (DC Fast Charging). L1 and L2 use J1772 plugs to connect to the Bolt's AC-DC on board inverter, and come with a variety of wall plugs. L1 (Stock EVSE) comes with NEMA 5-15, and third party 240V chargers come with a variety of 240V plugs, or can be hardwired to the main panel.

L3 DC charging is not for home use, and uses SAE Combo, essentially two additional pins below the J1772 socket for the DC power feeds which bypass the AC-DC onboard inverter and pass directly to the DC-DC Inverter. L3 (DCFC) has been optional, with 2021 model year Premier\LT2 models apparently being standard. But, again, the DCFC is only applicable to public chargers, not to home charging.

Currently, the only accessories on the GM site for charging are a $599 Webasto wall charger, and the stock 120V L1 EVSE (NEMA 5-15) we all know and love (or hate). The 120V stock EVSE has been included with Volt\Bolt since 2016, and a previous Volt 5-15 EVSE accessory was included with older Volts.

The Webasto unit appears to be a hardwire unit, though an electrician could presumably outfit it with whatever plug you like.

The stock EVSE shipped with 2016 and later Volt\Bolt is actually capable of operating on 240V with an adapter. The adapter could be any 16A or better plug since it will draw [email protected] only. While this "hack" is not officially supported, the unit is made by Clipper Creek and was supplied with EU Bolts (Opel Ampera-e), and South Korean Bolts. EU uses 230V for standard household outlets, Korea uses 240V for standard household current. So it was fitted with an appropriate plug for these markets. Since the adapter would be "custom" and really not appropriate to use for any other situation, it is possible to build virtually any plug for the adapter.

Your question seems to have stirred some confusion on the forum. Perhaps you could clarify where you heard of a 240V included EVSE? I mean, it would be great if GM did include a portable 240V cable with Bolts, but it is news to all of us on the forum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My dealership confirmed that the 2021 Bolt EV premier trim will come with a Level 2 charging cable, but I'm going back to find the press that I read and from which I knew to ask the question to begin with.

Sorry for the confusion over Level 2 and Fast Charging. You have to read the GM Authority articles very carefully to discern the difference between the three different charging levels, and what changes the mid-cycle enhancement will bring.

Thanks again for the info I requested regarding the NEMA style plug. What a great website!

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
My dealership confirmed that the 2021 Bolt EV premier trim will come with a Level 2 charging cable, but I'm going back to find the press that I read and from which I knew to ask the question to begin with.

Sorry for the confusion over Level 2 and Fast Charging. You have to read the GM Authority articles very carefully to discern the difference between the three different charging levels, and what changes the mid-cycle enhancement will bring.

Thanks again for the info I requested regarding the NEMA style plug. What a great website!
I am sorry, but I just looked at all the GM Authority articles again. I don't see anything that says you get an AC Level 2 EVSE as standard equipment. You get a DC charge port as standard on the Premier model starting in 2021. Formerly this was a $750 option, and in fact we have that on our 2017 LT model, but we still had to buy our 240 volt AC Level 2 EVSE.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts

Dealers are notoriously mis-informed regarding electrical things.

My sales guy claimed to have been an electrical apprenticeship prior to selling Chevy cars and trucks. He adamantly claimed that the 3 prong NEMA 5-15 plug meant the stock EVSE was 240V and not 120V. Surely, he had no idea it would work on a 240V outlet with an adapter.

In all things EV, take dealer statements with skepticism, they may know financing, and even ICE tech, but few of them really understand the EVs they sell.

Thank you for helping put this topic to rest, you had us all excited about the prospects of a stock 240V cord. Ford is apparently shipping Mach-e with a 240V portable cord that can use 120V as well, and of course Tesla has always offered a portable cord with different plug adapters. We Bolt owners have envied these, but had to resort to hacking our cords to use 240V.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You'll get a 110/220V EVSE ("charger") with the car. It comes with a 5-15 plug. If you want to plug it into 240V, you'll need an adapter from 5-15 to whatever 240 plug you have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.Most L2 EVSEs come with a 14-50 plug. I think that is a safe bet. They may have an adapter for 5-15, 120 volt plug, but the primary plug will be capable of 240 volts and 32 amps

So they told you the 2021 comes standard with a L2 EVSE? The current ones have all come standard with an L1 EVSE.
Rechecking the info regarding the L2 EVSE. According to Rob, the dealership may have fudged the info they gave me back on October 8th when the order window opened for the 2021 MY. I've circled back to the dealership and asked them to confirm. Once I hear, I'll post here.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Rechecking the info regarding the L2 EVSE. According to Rob, the dealership may have fudged the info they gave me back on October 8th when the order window opened for the 2021 MY. I've circled back to the dealership and asked them to confirm. Once I hear, I'll post here.
You could tell them you are sure it was just an honest mistake, and you will gladly accept this thrown in, by way of apology.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You could tell them you are sure it was just an honest mistake, and you will gladly accept this thrown in, by way of apology.

Good try. Close but no cigar. The dealership won't give me a $750 apology—the cost of the Chevy stationary charger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the definitive follow-up: the dealership got back to me today correcting their miscommunication—a L1 EVSE cable comes with the 2021 Bolt just as with the previous model years. I've put a MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger with NEMA14-50 in my Amazon cart and will contract with a local electrician for installation. Sorry to have gotten the community here all excited; I was excited about the prospect of saving $500 too. The lesson I've taken is that EV makers have created a large secondary market, residential charging stations being a big one. I'm okay with this, it's just the cost of ownership of what will be widely accepted as the preferred mode of vehicular transportation.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
Here's the definitive follow-up: the dealership got back to me today correcting their miscommunication—a L1 EVSE cable comes with the 2021 Bolt just as with the previous model years. I've put a MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger with NEMA14-50 in my Amazon cart and will contract with a local electrician for installation. Sorry to have gotten the community here all excited; I was excited about the prospect of saving $500 too. The lesson I've taken is that EV makers have created a large secondary market, residential charging stations being a big one. I'm okay with this, it's just the cost of ownership of what will be widely accepted as the preferred mode of vehicular transportation.
Thanks for taking the time to get to the bottom of this.

What is really interesting is, the L1 cord that comes with Bolts is made by Clipper Creek. CC is a premier L2 EVSE maker, so the conclusion one comes to is GM negotiated for them to supply an OEM charge cord that met minimal requirements. In exchange, they left the L2 market for CC and others to prosper in. Surely, this was CC's doing more than GM's.

One of the things that has made the auto industry so successful is the surrounding industries. Parts stores, repair shops, accessory makers, and component makers all thrive, as do gas stations, oil change shops, brake shops, roadside hotels... It is literally a mutual back scratching society of businesses that wouldn't exist without each other. EVs threaten a lot of these cottage industries, but others will step up. Obviously, EV charging companies will benefit, as will roadside services that cater to longer fuel stops. The transition will be painful for some who don't adapt, and fruitful for those who time it right. Manufacturers that leave room for other businesses to thrive will be appreciated for the opportunities left on the table for others.

Tesla is a bit of an exception, they seem to want to do more of it themselves. I don't think this is a negative as much as it was a necessity for the trendsetter to tackle customer pain points when nobody else was considering making charging networks or equipment. Long term, it will be interesting to see how Tesla manages the proprietary nature of many aspects of the owner experience. They offer nearly exclusive charging, exclusive service for anything but the simple things like tires. Will these surrounding businesses simply ignore Tesla, will Tesla diversify things that are not core and essential to the cars, or will things like right to repair laws force Tesla to refocus on making cars and let others take on the surrounding business and services?

I'm not predicting anything here, but if you consider how everyone is nipping at Apple's heels over proprietary things like repairs, and app stores, the parallels are interesting to observe. The surrounding businesses are powerful collectively, more powerful than any one car maker.

We will be interested to hear about your new 2021 Bolt. Much of it is still shrouded in secrecy and undoubtedly there will be a couple of new things that they sneak in.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts