Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reservation at an air bnb that offers EV charging. When I asked about the type of charger she sent me this photo (apparently she does not have a charger but does have 220 service) Gas Fixture Font Circle Rectangle
Notice 3 prongs. My outlet I use at home for my level 2 charger only has 2 prongs. Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Machine Auto part
Do you think I can plug my level 2 charger into her outlet?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another type of adapter to consider is one with a NEMA 14-XX plug. It is missing the neutral blade. As GJETSON said above, the neutral isn't used by EVSEs. So this means that a NEMA 14-XX plug is compatible with 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 receptacles.

This is what my OpenEVSE 48A came with. It allows me to plug into the 14-60 in my garage and I can take the EVSE with me when I go visit family and use it with the 14-30 outlet at my sister's house. (Just gotta be sure to set the current limit accordingly.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a reservation at an air bnb that offers EV charging. When I asked about the type of charger she sent me this photo (apparently she does not have a charger but does have 220 service) View attachment 38789 Notice 3 prongs. My outlet I use at home for my level 2 charger only has 2 prongs. View attachment 38790 Do you think I can plug my level 2 charger into her outlet?
You're not in Maryland, are you? I have that exact adapter that Mateo1147 posted just sitting in my basement collecting dust. Never used. I will sell it cheap... but if I ship it, you might as well get it from Amazon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As everyone here has said, the outlet at your AirBnB is a 14-50 outlet. You are currently using a 6-50 outlet at home. I will just add that the 14-50 outlet at the AirBnb is one of the most common 220-240V outlet types. You will find them at many campgrounds and RV parks, etc. So if you were going to invest in ANY electrical adapter for your EV charger, buying this adapter would be one of the better investments for you to make. There's a good chance you would use it again somewhere in the future.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As everyone here has said, the outlet at your AirBnB is a 14-50 outlet. You are currently using a 6-50 outlet at home. I will just add that the 14-50 outlet at the AirBnb is one of the most common 220-240V outlet types. You will find them at many campgrounds and RV parks, etc. So if you were going to invest in ANY electrical adapter for your EV charger, buying this adapter would be one of the better investments for you to make. There's a good chance you would use it again somewhere in the future.
Well that is interesting information and a good point. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're not in Maryland, are you? I have that exact adapter that Mateo1147 posted just sitting in my basement collecting dust. Never used. I will sell it cheap... but if I ship it, you might as well get it from Amazon.
Kind offer, but I think we will go with an Amazon (can return if need be).

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
Maybe you could also ask the host if they had it all professionally installed with permits.
Is it a 50 amp breaker with proper sized cable for distance? Is it the only thing on the circuit?
What is the max draw of your EVSE? The car will take 32 amps. That needs 40 amps of headroom so it should be 50 amp.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Is it a 50 amp breaker with proper sized cable for distance? Is it the only thing on the circuit?
What is the max draw of your EVSE? The car will take 32 amps. That needs 40 amps of headroom so it should be 50 amp.
For a 32 amp onboard charger, you only need a 40 amp breaker.

32A ÷ 0.8 = 40A

That is what we have been running for over four years, and the breaker stays barely above ambient. Why would you want a breaker that is less sensitive to an overload?

The wiring from our 14-50 outlet to the breaker was originally for my hardwired welder, which had a 90 amp breaker. I downsized the breaker, so the car wouldn't burn up before the breaker tripped.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts

32A ÷ 0.8 = 40A

That is what we have been running for over four years, and the breaker stays barely above ambient. Why would you want a breaker that is less sensitive to an overload?
The outlet is 50 amp. Wouldn't one install required cable and matching breaker for that?
I understand the math. Your post is helpful to clarify the rules though.

·
Registered
4 Posts

32A ÷ 0.8 = 40A

The wiring from our 14-50 outlet to the breaker was originally for my hardwired welder, which had a 90 amp breaker. I downsized the breaker, so the car wouldn't burn up before the breaker tripped.
If you are in the U.S., the NEC says you will supply continuous loads at not less than 125% of the nameplate rating. When you have done the math, you may round up to the next common overcurrent device rating on circuits less than 800 amps.
My personal 32 amp level two charger is connected to a 40A two pole breaker. If you upside the wire for voltage drop reasons that does not charge the receptacle or breaker sizing.
I do take issue with plugging a level one charger into a 14-50 receptacle. If there were ever an equipment failure it would probably be pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,716 Posts
If you are in the U.S., the NEC says you will supply continuous loads at not less than 125% of the nameplate rating. When you have done the math, you may round up to the next common overcurrent device rating on circuits less than 800 amps.
My personal 32 amp level two charger is connected to a 40A two pole breaker. If you upside the wire for voltage drop reasons that does not charge the receptacle or breaker sizing.
I do take issue with plugging a level one charger into a 14-50 receptacle. If there were ever an equipment failure it would probably be pretty impressive.
Why? The OEM EVSE internals were designed to accept 120-240VAC 50-60Hz to make it compatible with international markets. In the US, it has a 5-15P on it. Easily changed to a 15-50P, but you lose the plug's thermal protections doing so. I'd think that plugging an OEM EVSE into a 14-50R would give a much larger contact area, and thereby reduce the chances of a high-resistance heat-generating connection.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts