Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
Maybe you could also ask the host if they had it all professionally installed with permits.
Is it a 50 amp breaker with proper sized cable for distance? Is it the only thing on the circuit?
What is the max draw of your EVSE? The car will take 32 amps. That needs 40 amps of headroom so it should be 50 amp.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
For a 32 amp onboard charger, you only need a 40 amp breaker.

32A ÷ 0.8 = 40A

That is what we have been running for over four years, and the breaker stays barely above ambient. Why would you want a breaker that is less sensitive to an overload?
The outlet is 50 amp. Wouldn't one install required cable and matching breaker for that?
I understand the math. Your post is helpful to clarify the rules though.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
I think my concern comes from future considerations. You have a 14-50 outlet. You give it a dual breaker for 240V of 15 amps and 3/14 cable (say) and you wire up your nifty adapter to the OEM EVSE. Someone comes along and sees that 14-50 and plugs in their range (or whatever). What goes first...melt the cable or trip the breaker?
So I would suggest the right outlet matched to the right size cable for the right length with the right breaker so that end to end is doing what it's supposed to and can do.
And I won't mention whether there's load capacity in the panel.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
But Bolt2019 is correct, the stock EVSE, run on 240 volts, should have a 15 amp breaker.
Ok, sure. 240/15 breaker, 3/14 cable up to 60', 6-15 outlet. Make the adapter and that's that. But that's just to make it only for the OEM EVSE. We would all like to do wiring once. So go all the way to the standard 50 amp end to end.

ga2500ev: I wasn't suggesting that. That was an example of how it's wrong with the assumptions made in the conversation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts