Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a reservation at an air bnb that offers EV charging. When I asked about the type of charger she sent me this photo (apparently she does not have a charger but does have 220 service) View attachment 38789 Notice 3 prongs. My outlet I use at home for my level 2 charger only has 2 prongs. View attachment 38790 Do you think I can plug my level 2 charger into her outlet?
You're not in Maryland, are you? I have that exact adapter that Mateo1147 posted just sitting in my basement collecting dust. Never used. I will sell it cheap... but if I ship it, you might as well get it from Amazon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The outlet is 50 amp. Wouldn't one install required cable and matching breaker for that?
I understand the math. Your post is helpful to clarify the rules though.
It is within code to use a 40a breaker with a 14-50 receptacle. As far as I know, this is done as a cost savings measure. I know from running these kind of circuits at work that the difference in wire cost from running a 40a vs a 50a can be $1,000.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Because your LED lamp isn't as likely to burn down the house? I know, I'm reaching here. :unsure:
The computer I am typing on now is drawing about 150 watts from a 20amp 120v outlet that could provide as much as 2,400 watts! It's fine, because the computer is only drawing 150 watts. Think of it like drinking water through a straw from a small glass. Now drink water from the same straw but from a large glass. Are you going to drown? No, because you are only drawing water at the same rate as you were before.

It is more dangerous to be closer to your breaker's rating. Same goes for the wiring and the receptacle. I'd much rather have my toaster plugged into a 20 amp outlet than a 15 amp outlet. Maybe that's why you have to have 20 amp outlets in a kitchen nowadays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts