Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Do you park in your garage, our outside?

• Garage

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • Outside

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a nice small garage perfect for an EV, and in anticipation I put an EVSE inside. But alas, after negotiation with my wife I needed to move my office and literally work out of my garage. It's a great office now with a ductless minisplit climate control, and now I have my EV. So I had an EVSE installed outside too.

I live in a mild climate (Northern California) so parking outside should be OK, and I drive it to work every day where it is in the shade getting charged under solar panels :nerd:. But still, I like a pristine car and am thinking I could possibly make room for the car. Going back and forth on it, thoughts?

* sp "or outside", not "our outside"

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I like to park in the garage to keep the car clean and ultimately last longer. However the reality is, I often have to park outside as well. Your poll should have included a both option.:laugh:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, OTOH pretty much everybody parks inside and outside for that matter, between street parking, public garages and such.

Make it "How do you predominantly park at home?"

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm stuck parking outside, but I use a dash cover and a windshield shade.
I will be adding UV tint soon. I use a paint protection on the car and on the rubber seals.
I wish my garage had room, but my motorcycles, tools and equipment take up all the space.
My new truck sits outside too. I keep them as clean and protected as possible.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:No disrespect to anyone. I have three cars and a three car garage. But, people that have too much junk and have a garage of any size, full of junk instead, well just park outside and suck it up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
:eek:No disrespect to anyone. I have three cars and a three car garage. But, people that have too much junk and have a garage of any size, full of junk instead, well just park outside and suck it up.
LOL! My motorcycles aren't junk and my single car garage won't fit 2 vehicles either :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey @drdiesel1 , we were thinking of taking a trip in the Bolt down to Monterey, how is it down there for public charging?

btw I've got a loaded Summit White also, you have excellent taste. :nerd:
Public charging isn't something I use, but Charge Point has a great app for that. Public parking
isn't a problem. I know of 1 free DCFC at the mall in Salinas.

White is the best color >:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Two car garage sheltering: Bolt, pickup truck, four motorcycles, four bicycles, washer and drier etc. I have lived in places without a garage, and always got by, but a garage sure is nice. :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
No winter experience w/Bolt so far but with our Volt parking outside made getting the car warmish a big lift for the battery before a single mile was driven. This is w/Seattle climate.

I'm in same situation as you, Professor. The garage supports a shop where I do some of the hardware bits of my work. Even so, I think I can squeeze in the Bolt. The missing 1' of length on the Bolt vs. Volt should make this possible without having to do weird yoga moves in the garage to move about. .

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have an ordinary seventies typical suburban garage.

In that garage, I have an I-Miev, a Bolt EV, and a German CityEl. All are EV. Everyone gets inside. The CityEl is parked sideways at the door opening, and still fits inside the one lane that the Miev parks deep into. The Bolt has the entire other lane.

*Oh, forgot, in the rear notch of the garage is the Honda cycle and sidecar, the only ICE that I have left. Thus, four vehicles in one small double with the sixteen foot door.

Would never think of parking the Bolt EV outside permanently.

Reactions: Raymondjram

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have an ordinary seventies typical suburban garage.

In that garage, I have an I-Miev, a Bolt EV, and a German CityEl. All are EV. Everyone gets inside. The CityEl is parked sideways at the door opening, and still fits inside the one lane that the Miev parks deep into. The Bolt has the entire other lane.

*Oh, forgot, in the rear notch of the garage is the Honda cycle and sidecar, the only ICE that I have left. Thus, four vehicles in one small double with the sixteen foot door.
This remarkable packing result helps cement my belief that we could mitigate a lot of problems by breeding humans smaller. 1,600 passengers in an A380 where only 800 would fit before, a family of 4 dining on a single Stouffer's dish of macaroni, etc.

167 Posts
Garage only! The sun alone tears up cars parked outside. Then there's the vandals, visgoths and other "tribes" that can't wait to demonstrate how little they think of you and your properties.
No clutter, hording or rat packin' in my 2 car garage. That nice garage easily fits an SUV and a Bolt EV nicely. And I cant wait to replace that ICE SUV with a dedicated Electric SUV EV.
Home's paid off. It continues to go up up up in value every month in a northern Bay Area County. My income is a fixin' to go up too, so with the kids all grown up pursuing lucrative careers, Im mission complete, can sell and move back to the United States---that angry nation next door that cant wait to send troops, US Marshals, Judges and Agents in a westward direction.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Two EVs, a one-car garage. The one that needs charging gets the indoor treatment. I use Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine to help mitigate the bird droppings, pine tree pitch and, as E Drivetrain Future noted, the vandals, Visigoths and other tribes.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I put 2 cars, a motorcycle, ping pong table, futon, 4'x8' trailer (folding), air compressor, work bench, and tons of tools in my 2-car garage. While my garage is finished, it isn't insulated, so it would be a poor candidate for converting to livable space.

Also had 2 roommates; one parked in the driveway, the other on the street.

·
Registered
989 Posts
thanks. you use that for the seals too?
Windows, seals, door jambs, paint, dash, console, panels, underhood, wiper blades,
exterior window seals, sun glasses, motorcycles, PC monitors, TV screen, ETC.

Good stuff! It still beads up after 6 months and water slides off the windshield in the rain.
My paint shines really well and my black motorcycle look like glass. Best stuff I've used, so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts