• Yes I'm using a Tesla UMC Gen1 or Gen2

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Yes I'm using a Tesla Wall Charger

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have both a Tesla UMC & Wall Charger

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I have used, but don't own a Tesla L2 Charger

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No Tesla is the devil - good old J-1772 for me!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • pfft - charging - who's needs charging!!

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious how many people on the forums are using a Tesla UMC or Wall Charger to charge their Bolt?

please weight in with your pithy comments and L2 charger usage.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I don't have a Tesla charger, nor have I ever charged at a Tesla charger, however I don't think Tesla is the Devil. I just don't have one. Actually, had I known what I know now, I would have seriously considered the Tesla wall station. I had assumed that it would only work with a Tesla and that it would be crazy expensive. I guess those assumptions are wrong. Anyhow, my Clipper Creek seems to do a good enough job.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the J-Dapter and TeslaTap are the game changers until then you had to pay mucho $$$ to get quickchargerpower to modify a Tesla charger have a J-1772 connector on it - like all things the situation changes over time.

J-1772 charger will serve every one really really well over the course of time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It would have been much better if there had been some better options for people who haven't bought Tesla Chargers. I don't think Tesla is the devil, and might have considered it.

But as amazing as it is that the TeslaTap / J-Dapter exist, to me $240 is pretty expensive for an adapter dongle. And although I could imagine using something like that once in a while when out on the road, I think at home it's nicer to have something simpler/easier.

Instead I bought a far cheaper adapter to plug the stock charger into 240 volts. That'll only give me 12 amps at 240 volts if I need to plug in without a J-1772 EVSE at my destination, but I think these occasions are in the “sometime never” category already.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I have the Gen 2 Tesla UMC ("Universal Mobile Charger") and a J-Adapter. I tried them out on a 120V outlet in my garage to make sure they work, and I've tried the J-Adapter at a Tesla station at our local mall - but I normally just keep them in the trunk in case I need a charge from an AC outlet somewhere when I'm on the road. Belt and suspenders.

I normally charge in my garage using the EVSE that came with the Bolt connected to a 240V power source.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Tesla wall-charger is a different animal, and it sounds great but I don't have one. One of its features is to time share charging between two EVs. I use the Tesla portable charger, with a J-1772 connector grafted on the end. Its called a JESLA from QuickChargePower. Its useful for plugging into various sockets at campgrounds and friends' houses and so on. I also bought a Tesla-J1772 adapter, JDAPTER, from QuickChargePower to allow you to connect a Tesla 240 volt destination charger to a Bolt at hotels and so on. I have used that a couple of times for long-distance driving. The JESLA and Jdapter are really expensive, and hopefully we will not need them as time goes on and chargers become closer together around the country.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't think Tesla is the devil. I have two Clipper Creeks before buying the Bolt. One is 120V for my electric motorcycle and the other is 240V for when I take it on trips. So I used the 240V for the Bolt. It's only a 25A model, but it easily get the job done while we sleep.

If I were planning lots of road trips, I'd probably get the dongle to utilize Tesla stations. Or, more likely, rent an ICE. Being retired, we stick around the San Francisco Bay Area for the most part, however.

·
Registered
196 Posts
:)I'm using my Leviton 40A EVSE that I purchased four years ago when I leased my 2014 BMW i3. No need for Tesla anything to charge my Bolt or Prius Plug In. That includes fancy adapters. I also use my converted Prius Level 1 to Level 2 EVSE to charge at work. Tesla isn't the devil.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
I think Elon is at least a spawn of Satan, but not the company itself. :p

I have a JDapter, and have used it a few times. If you think of it as a form of "plug insurance" (that you actually wouldn't mind using), it's a worthy investment. And I noticed the company that makes the JDapter now offers more options for it (80amp unit, longer wiring, etc...)

·
Registered
421 Posts
We have a ChargePoint Level 2 charger for a Bolt and a Model S. As noted by several folks above, no choice in your survey accurately reflected our choice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn't poke the survey as there was no option to just say that I'm using a non-Tesla Level 2 charger. I don't think Tesla is the devil, so I won't be poking that selection.

I've got a Grizzl-E Level 2 EVSE for our Bolt that we just installed less than a week ago. It will do 40 Amps max although our Bolt will only ever draw up to 32 Amps and probably less most of the time due to tapering of the charge curve. The extra capacity of the Grizzl-E will serve us beyond the Bolt in the future. No comments yet about its' utility or features (almost none as it is a dumb charger) as we haven't used it much, our Bolt is in the shop getting the air conditioner fixed this week.

Don't have a Tesla EVSE because of the cost. The Grizzl-E does the job at much less cost. If someone gave me a Tesla EVSE I would thank them, but we would still need to spend the money for the adapter. Tesla just costs too much for our tastes.

Having said all this, we could get by just fine on the stock L1 charger for +98% of our needs. For us the Bolt will mostly be an around the town car and we'll typically be using less than 50 miles per day - many days much less than that. We bought the L2 charger for the rare occasion where we leave town and come back and want to charge it up for the next trip. That's going to be rare for us but the piece of mind makes us feel better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Tesla wall-charger is a different animal, and it sounds great but I don't have one. One of its features is to time share charging between two EVs. I use the Tesla portable charger, with a J-1772 connector grafted on the end. Its called a JESLA from QuickChargePower. Its useful for plugging into various sockets at campgrounds and friends' houses and so on. I also bought a Tesla-J1772 adapter, JDAPTER, from QuickChargePower to allow you to connect a Tesla 240 volt destination charger to a Bolt at hotels and so on. I have used that a couple of times for long-distance driving. The JESLA and Jdapter are really expensive, and hopefully we will not need them as time goes on and chargers become closer together around the country.
RV parks usually have NEMA TT-30R 120v 30a RV (the "TT" is for "Travel Trailer") receptacles. More and more RV parks have a NEMA 14-50R 120/240v 50a for those big 5th wheels and motor homes.
It's a very good idea for outdoor receptacles to have a switch (can be a circuit breaker in the weatherproof box) to turn the power to the receptacle off before plugging-in or unplugging. The breaker should be a GFCI as well.
Getting shocked when you are indoors on a dry floor isn't so bad but outdoors on dirt or concrete a shock can do serious damage. As well, the receptacle slots are large enough for a child to stick a piece of metal in and get badly shocked or killed. In such locations a padlock or even a key unlocking catch should be considered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.