Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

How long will you wait?

  • 6 months

    Votes: 28 23.0%
  • 1 year

    Votes: 23 18.9%
  • 2 years

    Votes: 3 2.5%
  • what ever it takes

    Votes: 45 36.9%
  • not willing to wait

    Votes: 23 18.9%
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
GM was not willing to wait when I was buying what I thought I was buying , which I did not get ... expecting to hear VERY soon just exactly what the repair proposal is and when it will be performed , waiting , but not patiently . Do not anticipate there will be any great problem getting an acceptable buy-back deal from them . Bolt buyers , I think , are a better educated than average slice of the population and remember the Diesel/V-8 Olds settlement when it turned out that a big chunk of the pissed-off buyers were lawyers ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I chose whatever it takes, with the expectation that I'm going to continue using the Bolt as I always have. I charge to 75%, except when I fell that I need more (quite rare). And it almost never drops below 25%, except when I need to (quite rare). The only real change is that the car now lives and charges outside of the garage, mainly to keep my wife happy. We may reconsider this when winter comes along (charge outside, live inside once it's at 75%?)

I've got a 2019, US battery, so I hope my risk is relatively low. If/when events or my understanding change, then I may reevaluate. But getting a new (hopefully better/safer) battery would be a nice happenstance...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
I only have to wait 9 more days, as my repurchase coordinator has scheduled 9/11 as the closing date for my buyback swap. So 7 months, 6 days after I initially contacted GM to initiate my buyback, it will knock on wood finally come to an end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don't understand the question.

Wait?
Or what?
What else can you do?

Some may have qualified for some sort of buyback, but that is not available to all.
The assumption was if you got tired of waiting you could revert to a buy back. In the real world, as you mention, it may not be available, but for this poll pretend that it is.
 

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
GM monitoring the poll could use it to check the temperature of their customers.

I will let them know that I am waiting (for now) to find out what the conclusion/solution is before I pass judgment, but I most definitely do so with zero acceptance of the situation I have been put in, and I can change my mind about it almost daily.

“All of the above” is a valid choice because it tells GM where I am at.
I love the idea that GM would monitor a poll on Chevybolt.org as a reflection of all Bolt owners' feelings (because hey, it's us), but I suspect that if GM were actually interested in that information, they would use something a little more statistically valid.
 

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
Joined
·
33 Posts
If there isn't some serious movement on this issue by the end of 2021, I'm going to start the buyback process under my state's lemon laws. If batteries are getting replaced by then, I will wait until 4/2022 to see if it has picked up a sufficient pace - if it hasn't, then I will start the buyback process under my state's lemon laws.

I am NOT going to let GM keep stringing me along. Their spin and inaction thus far has made me skeptical of their willingness to make these vehicles safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I'm in the buyback process. Started it in mid July and have not heard a peep from GM in over a month. If I don't see some movement in the next two weeks I'm going to hire a lemon law attorney.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I would be willing to wait it out if they start making defect free batteries soon. We need better communication in my opinion. I'm not all that confident they will actually fix the problem in a cost affective way. I feel like they will just end up buying them back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
I’ll wait as long as it takes, assuming it will be resolved reasonably quickly. Once the Kia EV6 is available to test drive, I reserve the right to pretend I never said that.
Just saw the Kia EV6. Was considering the Ioniq 5, but the EV6 looks better IMO. Same same on the specs between the two. Both have awesome DCFC speeds.

But like others. I and my spouse do not want to be left holding the bag. Thus far, I'm not filled with much hope that isn't going to happen. They've been playing around on this for over a year now and only now are saying, "whoops, battery got messed up during manufacturing and we have no idea what lots could be affect so recall em all". There are better EVs coming out just around the corner and if not those, There's always Tesla.

If you want to wait on them. Cool. Enjoy the wait. Maybe they'll do right, but somehow, this is starting to feel like being strung along and life's to short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Speaking of swaps, will there be anything to swap into?

"General Motors will temporarily shut down production at nearly all of its North American assembly plants for the next two weeks

The automaker says the global shortage of computer chips is getting worse. In all, eight plants across the country will be affected over the next two weeks.

However, ABC12 has learned that the Flint Assembly plant will remain open. The plant makes the popular and profitable Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD pickup trucks."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Just saw the Kia EV6. Was considering the Ioniq 5, but the EV6 looks better IMO. Same same on the specs between the two. Both have awesome DCFC speeds.

But like others. I and my spouse do not want to be left holding the bag. Thus far, I'm not filled with much hope that isn't going to happen. They've been playing around on this for over a year now and only now are saying, "whoops, battery got messed up during manufacturing and we have no idea what lots could be affect so recall em all". There are better EVs coming out just around the corner and if not those, There's always Tesla.

If you want to wait on them. Cool. Enjoy the wait. Maybe they'll do right, but somehow, this is starting to feel like being strung along and life's to short.
My understanding is that GM will have some guidance on the 2020 and newer on October 4. I think the Kia EV6 is slated for release early 2022. My hope is my 2020 LT will have a clean bill of health by then. If so, I wouldn’t expect a financial hit on selling or trading it. 🤞
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
If GM does not have a decisive update by February 20, 2022 AND is not beginning the process of repairing those Chevrolet Bolts deemed highest risk, I will seek a buyback or sell the car at a loss.

The significance of this date is that it is six months after the most recent recall notice, which should be enough time.

Assuming GM meets these two conditions, I can wait it out for a long time.

The paradox: If GM DOESN’T meet these two conditions, I have to believe it will face significant pressure to buy back all the Bolt inventory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
If GM does not have a decisive update by February 20, 2022 AND is not beginning the process of repairing those Chevrolet Bolts deemed highest risk, I will seek a buyback or sell the car at a loss.

The significance of this date is that it is six months after the most recent recall notice, which should be enough time.

Assuming GM meets these two conditions, I can wait it out for a long time.

The paradox: If GM DOESN’T meet these two conditions, I have to believe it will face significant pressure to buy back all the Bolt inventory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We all have our individual tolerance levels. I feel much differently about the 2020 being recalled than the repurchased ‘17.

It’s like the first time, I fell out of the grandstands into the ring, just happened to be wearing a clown suit, and with the bull looking at me with bloodlust in his eyes.

This rodeo, I applied for the job. I feel a bit clown-like because the fact is I bought the son of the bull.

Never have I worried about what would happen if it burns, I just realized the potential and make available adjustments to provide minimal damage should it occurr. I should be about a thousand times more worried about getting inside a car and driving it, but I don’t because I have and will have done it for over 50 years now. But odds are odds.

So my “bull” is parked in the garage and has a modified charging repertoire, not that it is much different. He doesn’t look mad like the ‘17 did, but I chalk that up to not being my first rodeo.

My time limit is to repeat what I did the first time. I will wait until the 2022 is again for sale. I will go all in on asking for a swap to a ‘22 EUV (~MSRP), so I can continue to drive a Bolt. And a big Thank You to GM for keeping my Bolt updating to the latest model while I come out ahead money-wise*

*purchased used 2017 in February ‘20 for $26k OTD. Repurchased for $25,350. Purchase ‘20 for $30k OTD, have collected $7500 in CA rebates = $2600 in pocket.


Not that I want the sword of Damocles hanging over my head, but if this battery fiasco keeps going on after this, I actually think I can get a new car every few years and maybe even money in the bank. It’s a fairly sure bet that the battery is going to be good this time 🤔
 

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premium with every option
Joined
·
181 Posts
The only thing I'm waiting for, is for GM to buy the car back. It may take a while, so however long it takes. Meanwhile with all of these restrictions making the car harder to use, it's going to be idle a lot, so it's like I have 1/2 of a car.
GM will make it whole again, eventually.
 

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
Joined
·
16 Posts
It is more like two months for me. I’m up against a Minnesota winter which will bring further range reductions on a long commute and scraping ice off of my car every morning. I like the Bolt but it is the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever had. Winter with the current safety guidance is going to make owning this car a real nuisance. Definitely not what I paid for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
My understanding is that GM will have some guidance on the 2020 and newer on October 4. I think the Kia EV6 is slated for release early 2022. My hope is my 2020 LT will have a clean bill of health by then. If so, I wouldn’t expect a financial hit on selling or trading it. 🤞
My understanding was the only guidance by then coming out is the recall letters for those years models to include my 2019 with MI pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
The paradox: If GM DOESN’T meet these two conditions, I have to believe it will face significant pressure to buy back all the Bolt inventory.
This right here. If Chevy hasn’t started replacements and has a schedule in 6 months, it is because they have already initiated repurchase of all Bolts.

Honest question: what will happen if we don’t want to sell it back, but it’s a safety hazard (as deemed by Chevy and/or NHTSA…I’m not here to debate the actual risk) to keep it? I don’t know what the precedent or law is around this.
 

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
Joined
·
359 Posts
Assuming GM could come up with a defect free battery, and assuming you could get a decent buyback anytime along the way, how long are you willing to wait for your battery fix?
I could wait till the end of time. My 2020 is fine as it is and i have no plans for a dealer to touch a perfect working car.
 

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Honest question: what will happen if we don’t want to sell it back, but it’s a safety hazard (as deemed by Chevy and/or NHTSA…)...
I don’t know what the precedent or law is around this.
Excellent question!
 
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Top