Votes: 45 36.9%
  • not willing to wait

Votes: 23 18.9%
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
234 Posts
Since I leased it literally the day before this hit, I apparently can wait three years. I have a hunch there will be a resolution long before then, one way or another.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wonder if one has some rights on lease to return.

Every Bolt has been recalled. See your phone app for recall. Or see GM web site or national traffic or whatever it is.

The actual solution will be to replace some or all of the battery pack with new packs.
That solution is currently on hold.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
966 Posts
The concept of buyback doesn’t exist where I live. Unless I personally sell the car (and that is restricted for two years from the time of purchase because of the government subsidy) there really isn’t any option other than to wait.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you add a voting option that says: "Until another BEV comes out that performs equal or better than the Bolt, and sells for something near the buyback price"
Too theoretical. We need boots on the ground choices, not pie in the sky.:rolleyes:
Because I person has to make a serious choice in life. I would be a bad friend if I left you so indecisive.
Well I meant it half serious half tongue in cheek.....but that is exactly how I feel. I don't want a buyback right now because I still love the car(2020LT) as much as I did the day before it was added to the recall.

I expect the buy back would be something like $27-29k. Not tempting. I don't want to buy an ICE to replace it. There are very few BEV's currently out that I would consider and those few are more expensive enough to not make it feel worth it to me.

So I'll probably keep waiting for 1)a fix 2) a buyback I can't refuse or 3) Suddenly a new BEV comes out that I like and costs close to my buyback, or one I LOVE and is therefore awesome enough to make me pay extra. ( I admit that if I could afford a Taycan, there would be no other option)

None of those options are necessarily pie in the sky....I feel confident ONE of the three will happen, I just don't know which.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll wait. About 20 fires out of 140k cars? While danger is higher, the likelihood is low. I'll charge in the open parking lot at the office for free and follow the 90% - 20% charging guidelines but I'm not giving up my garage parking, especially come winter. In the meantime, I have a decent car I like and on the horizon is a significant improvement to its performance. Besides, like others here, there is no compelling vehicle on the market in the price range. If I were in a CARB state I could consider the Kia and Hyundai options, but that's not a practical option here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If GM appeals to my greedy nature and offers some financial compensation for this mess, I'll wait awhile. But I am seriously looking at the IONIQ 5. Hope they got that coolant leak taken care of.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT, 2021 Bolt LT
24 Posts
I chose "What ever it takes", (as of now). I don't see how GM can drag this remedy out for two years, if there are random Bolt fires popping up monthly. The daily mileage both of our Bolts is low enough to manage with the recall advisory. As the days, weeks months roll by, charging/rotating cars in and out of the garage, my patience may wear down.
The $25k Tesla coming in sounded like a future option.... until today. No steering wheel or pedals?? Musk can't be serious😯. I'm not ready for that!
Also, I really like this car. That is a common comment on this forum. Even many owners who had to do a buy back state they liked/loved the Bolt.
GM and LG really need to solve this problem. There are roughly 140,000 Chevy Bolts, most of the owners love their car (but not the battery right now😊). This past week, two people asked me about my car. I told them how much I liked it.
Before I purchased the 2020 Bolt in early March, I read many online reviews. I found this forum. Common comments that I noticed: "I love this car", "It's the best car I've ever owned" or "All I've had to do is change wiper blades, add washer fluid". The good reviews from people who owned the car helped me decide to go for it (ok, it was also the huge discounts available during that time😊). A month later we sold my daughter's 2017 Toyota Yaris iA to Carmax and purchased a 2021 Bolt.
I feel that GM having 140,000 satisfied customers telling people about their safely repaired Bolts will reap benefits in the long run, despite the $1.8 billion hit now. I hope they can figure this problem out. I really like this car.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
278 Posts
Assuming GM could come up with a defect free battery, and assuming you could get a decent buyback anytime along the way, how long are you willing to wait for your battery fix?
Being how my 2021 Bolt Premier is basically new at 2,000 miles and nothing really wrong with it
I will wait indefinitely
This is my daily driver and I have no issues

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,321 Posts
...but I'm not giving up my garage parking, especially come winter. ....
What is so special about putting your car in your garage?
Cars don't care where they are parked.
Mine has never been in a garage.:cool:

Seems like this is the most important 'Abundance of Caution' guidance.
All the others appear to be shots in the dark.

·
Registered
261 Posts
$1.8 million
They stated $1.8 billion.

As for garage, there are theft issues with breakins/vandalism (see these weekly in newspaper), weather/storms (leave a car out and you'll see the paint get ruined quicker vs. garage princess), some folks with snow has people plow the driveway so can't park there, add in snow folks, you wake up, now you need to 'waste' 15-20 minutes of your time clearing snow from your car. That and the range just dropped another 30% less since it's been outside freezing.

Also, your car gets dirtier outside and needs more washings. Some folks also don't like to whole idea of purchasing a brand new car and have it sit outside since this isn't something they signed up for (more hassles) to park outside overall.

Yeah, it doesn't affect everyone, but GM should give people the option that if they don't like it, quickly buy it back and let those folks move on. Not like they can buy anything else in the 20-30k price range anyways currently. Some just want 'out' at this point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is so special about putting your car in your garage?
Cars don't care where they are parked.
Mine has never been in a garage.:cool:

Seems like this is the most important 'Abundance of Caution' guidance.
All the others appear to be shots in the dark.
Because that's where I want to park. No exposure to the elements while getting in and out or unloading groceries, etc. No clearing snow or frost off the windows. That's where the charger is. No one can mess with it over night. I spent 20 years parking on the street and I've earned this luxury. The odds of it actually burning are negligible.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Assuming GM could come up with a defect free battery, and assuming you could get a decent buyback anytime along the way, how long are you willing to wait for your battery fix?
We have already been waiting for seems like forever with a reduced range and capabilities vehicle (90%) and now we are reduced to max 90% minimum 30%, so only 60% of rated range. I was willing to wait, and even got my notice that all of the modules would be replace in my original battery shell with higher capacity cells with the latest chemistry for an 8% range increase along with a new warranty. At that point I was willing to wait a few months for them to either restrict new Bolt sales to divert these 2020+ battery cells to warranty replacements, or for pack production to ramp up on the 2020+ battery cells... then the next day we found out that THOSE battery cells were now subject to recall. It was the last straw for me. I called the EV concierge last week to start the buy back process :(

We will replace the Bolt with a short to mid range low cost EV for my wife's daily driving needs and the Model Y will be my daily driver and our long trip car. My wife loved the Chevy Spark EV when we test drove it in comparison to a Fiat 500e.

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m only 4 months in on a three year lease.
I think this is the first post I've read since the debacle started several weeks ago about leased cars. Everyone else is talking about swaps, MSRP buybacks, their state lemon laws, etc., but there seems to be a dearth of discussion regarding those of us who leased a late-model Bolt (in my case, a 2020 twelve months ago). I think we're last on the list of cars to get fixed, frankly, and while, like everyone else, I am waiting with bated breath about any news whatsoever, I think there's a 50/50 chance that my lease will expire 24 months from now without any opportunity to get the battery issue resolved in my car.

And to pick up on other recent threads, that's a real shame, because I'm a huge advocate of EVs, and don't see any reasonable alternative in the market at present to the Bolt EV for all the reasons already enumerated.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
I think this is the first post I've read since the debacle started several weeks ago about leased cars. Everyone else is talking about swaps, MSRP buybacks, their state lemon laws, etc., but there seems to be a dearth of discussion regarding those of us who leased a late-model Bolt (in my case, a 2020 twelve months ago). I think we're last on the list of cars to get fixed, frankly, and while, like everyone else, I am waiting with bated breath about any news whatsoever, I think there's a 50/50 chance that my lease will expire 24 months from now without any opportunity to get the battery issue resolved in my car.

And to pick up on other recent threads, that's a real shame, because I'm a huge advocate of EVs, and don't see any reasonable alternative in the market at present to the Bolt EV for all the reasons already enumerated.
I also don’t believe my battery will get replaced before my lease expires. Which means we’re not getting what we’re paying for, and waiting for the benefit of a new battery (with a new warranty) is pointless 😞

It’s all very disappointing, as I do like the car, and I don’t know what I would replace it with yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We will replace the Bolt with a short to mid range low cost EV for my wife's daily driving needs and the Model Y will be my daily driver and our long trip car. My wife loved the Chevy Spark EV when we test drove it in comparison to a Fiat 500e.

Keith
Isn't the Bolt's 60% range(144mi) still more than 100% of the range of the Spark EV, Fiat 500e, most Leafs, etc.? And more importantly, after driving 144 miles in your Bolt you still have a 70 mile buffer(albeit in the DANGER ZONE), whereas the other short-mid range EVs I listed would actually be dead on the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Isn't the Bolt's 60% range(144mi) still more than 100% of the range of the Spark EV, Fiat 500e, most Leafs, etc.? And more importantly, after driving 144 miles in your Bolt you still have a 70 mile buffer(albeit in the DANGER ZONE), whereas the other short-mid range EVs I listed would actually be dead on the side of the road.
The Spark was an example, not a firm purchase intent... but if I can get $30,000 buyback on my Bolt and spend $10,000 on a used Spark, or Leaf, or other medium to short range EV I would feel that I am coming out ahead of keeping the Bolt, mainly due to my current needs. Also, the convenience of parking in my Garage and plugging the car in over night while I sleep rather than dragging the charge cord out to the driveway and parking outside while charging and only charging while we are awake and keeping track of what it happening would be worth a lot. We have the Model Y for my commute and for long trips, and my wife literally drives to church on Sunday 1 block away, and goes shopping 20 miles away a few times a month... no need for a 200+ mile EV for her use case. If they only offer me $10,000 I will turn it down and wait for the new battery, but anything significantly more than I could have gotten selling the Bolt on the open market (before they were labeled a fire hazard) and I will take the offer. So, pretty much anything over $20,000 for my high mileage 2017 and I take the offer, less than that I wait for a new battery.

Keith

41 - 59 of 59 Posts