Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bolt is a bit of a unique case in the US EV market: a subcompact hatchback that seats 4, has a 230+ mile range, is(was) sold in every state, available ~5 years ago at ~$40k, and ~5 months ago at ~$20k.

Despite the relatively low total number of Bolt owners, the long time of availability and the large range in possible purchase price imply a possibly broader range of owners in terms of the technology adoption curve - compared to other EV owners.
Slope Plot Rectangle Line Font

We may have some owners who purchased the Bolt in 2016-17 at near MSRP, who may consider themselves innovators or early adopters and theoretically have a high tolerance for risk. We may have some owners who purchased the Bolt this year at roughly half of MSRP, who may consider themselves more mainstream / majority in terms of innovation and tolerance for risk.

Given such a potentially broad range of owners, I was wondering how all those factors might affect your reaction to the recall / fire risk.

I'd like to follow the same format as the "Emotions Aside" post, and ask everyone to strictly follow the format as below. After a week or so, I will post a summary of results to see if there are any correlations between date of purchase, purchase price, self-perception on the innovation curve, and reaction to the recall / fire risk.

Model Year / Trim: 2020 LT
Month / Year purchased: March 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $22,500
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: N/A
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I'm leaning towards keeping the Bolt and waiting for the resolution, even if it takes a year+, but I probably wouldn't recommend any new EV to family / friends until it's had at least a 4 year track record (there were 0 Bolt fires before March 2019, and 12 Bolt fires by the end of 2020).

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 Premier
Month / Year purchased: October 2017
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $46,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - depends on the technology. i.e. I never got a palm pilot because I thought it was a gimmick. So if you see me avoid a technology, there's probably a reason behind it.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - wait and see attitude while I refuse to get latest software update so it won't brick my car. Once a week charge overnight unattended out in my shop like I have 200 plus times before the recall.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2021 LT
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $27.5K including tax, tags, title, & registration
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I didn't think of the Bolt as being on the bleeding edge, but as a sensible choice given the urgency of getting off fossil fuels...and the price point for such a great EV just blew me away.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 4 - Given this is our second Bolt recall due to fire risk, for now we're done with Bolt, GM, Ford, and anyone else using LG batteries. However, we believe EVs are the future of automobiles and it's critical we get off fossil fuels. So, we're diving right back in again by leasing a Tesla for a couple of years while the big boys figure out how to build EV's with batteries that won't burst into flames.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2018 Premier
Month / Year purchased: April 2018
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $44,000 ($12,500 in state and fed incentives brought the net to about $31,500)
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: --
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - depends on the technology. I jumped in early on iPhone 3, VoIP home phone, cell phones long before most adopted these.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - This would easily go to 1 if they are swift in announcing the path forward, or 8 if they hesitate.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2019 Premier

Month / Year purchased: March 2019

If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): No paperwork in front of me. Car cost around $42K, minus rebates and MA money, maybe $33K.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? :3 is fair. Bolt was a sound choice at the time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, :Can't answer that question. I would not buy the Bolt again due to it's very slow DCFC charging speed, no other reason. Otherwise the car model is very nice. Fun to drive, well built, easy to park, no issues at all. For a local runabout or commuter it's perfect.

I am not concerned about the chance of my Bolt (with US batteries) going up in flames.

Rich

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Month / Year purchased: June 2017
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $43,000; was able to use the federal income tax credit and the partial state sales tax credit.
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers. We had a paid-for ICE, didn't really need the Bolt, knew wouldn't ever pay for itself, but also knew it was the perfect vehicle for our current needs, so we paid near-MSRP; a first for us in sixty years of vehicle purchases.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 1 - would buy another, would recommend to friends and family.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $33,500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 1 - particularly in the EV market, I have been pushing myself to go progressively more electric as soon as I can afford to do so. I had a 2012 Leaf before the Bolt, as soon as I could get one in upstate NY. I wanted an original Tesla Roadster, but it was out of my budget.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I am following the guidance as well as I can, but will break from it on occasion in order to take it on longer trips. I am optimistic that eventually this will be behind us, and I will be rewarded with the larger 66kWh battery. Or maybe some kind of generous credit for a modest Ultium option

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2020 premier
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $30350
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I wait to hear from the first. Example is buying solar panels in 2018 and EV 2020
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2: I reacted to the Oct recall of the 2017 as more of 6-7, getting it repurchased. The 2020 I plan on keeping, unless GM opens buyback to swapping for a 2022, in which case I will ask for that. I have no problem with GM keeping me in the latest model LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Month / Year purchased: July 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $22,500 ($26,500 when considering NYS sales tax which is inflated because it goes by the MSRP before rebates, minor nuance)
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - 1/2 - I go out of my way to do impractical things to be ahead (we are in fact an all-ev household, other being a Kona EV) the only reason a 2 is mentioned is because I'm getting too old for a 1 even at the young age of 40.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - EVs are the future, I have concerns about the difficulty manufacturing Li-Ion batteries at capacities and scales needed for BEVs. We probably need "better" and safer battery chemistry and I'm eager to see the industry move away ASAP. (crossing my fingers for lithium solid state)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT w/DC fast charge
Month / Year purchased: January 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $16,000, and no state sales tax due to used EV incentives in WA. crazy good deal, it was a CA lease shipped up here for sale through a local dealer, 24k miles
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2: Been waiting forever for a reasonably priced EV, found it.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2: somewhat concerned about batteries, but am happy to receive fix from GM in a year or so. Until then I love driving it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $33,000 (ish I think?)
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - mostly based on price. I am all for innovation, but not at too high a price...
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - Yeah, I'm disappointed, but just waiting to see how it rolls out. If LG comes out with a battery I feel is safe to replace what I have now, then I am fine with this. Things like this can happen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2021 Premier
Month / Year purchased: June 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $33500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)?: 2 - I don't buy just-released new technologies. Heck, I didn't buy a 2022 Bolt EV because it's brand new in design. The 2021's design is well-tested.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 1 - My family have GM employees and I believe in them and support them.

IMO, despite the scary nature of the fires, the small sample size of bolt fires and current state of the economy do not support taking any drastic action.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
7 Posts
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $22,500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 3 - Wouldn't normally go for new tech. Waited to see if it'll work for a while.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - Will keep Bolt unless that becomes unreasonable. Have seen no reason not to trust that GM will do what they say and fix problems when they can. Would consider buying an EV Silverado if it's available soon enough.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 Premier / 2019 Premier
Month / Year purchased: Jan 2018 / March 2019
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $32,000 (used) / $34,000 (minus $10,000 credits)
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I'm too risk-averse to be an innovator but once I see reviews/reliability come in, I'm happy to spend a bit more to get the latest/greatest/something different. That's how I ended up with the Mach-E and that's why I don't want a Tesla - everyone already has one.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 5 for Chevy based on the way they handled the situation early on and even now. Once you go EV you can't go back, though, so 2 for other EVs. And even if my Mach-E ends up in the same situation as the Bolt, I don't see myself going back to Chevy - I would likely continue down the line Tesla, Audi, Rivian, Polestar etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2021 premier
Month / Year purchased: May 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $23,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I am one that likes new technologies, but like to wait until some of the bugs are worked out. Usually I am ahead of friends and family buying into new tech.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - Although it concerns me and I will follow the guidelines with charging etc (as much as possible), the risk is still very low and I will be keeping my bolt. I will take the new batteries and drive this car until it dies (or catches fire :))

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
31 Posts
Month / Year purchased: September 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $24,500
On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend to avoid new tech when it's so new that it's extremely expensive or rare, but once it has some amount of industry standardization and budget-conscious options hit the market, I'll buy if it enhances my QoL.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 5 - I know rationally that the risk of my particular car is low, especially with how I use it, but watching the past year of 17-19 owners getting the run-around and half-measures from GM gives me low faith that this will be resolved to my satisfaction. Still, for how I use the car and the fact that I can't get a comparable EV for the same price, I'm keeping it for now. If we enter the new year without GM having replaced a fair number of batteries, I will go through with the buyback thanks to my state's lemon laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Month / Year purchased: August 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $37,500 CAD
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: 6 year purchase $266/biweekly
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)?2.5 - Not planning to trade or sell and are following the guidelines for charging outside parking etc. We bought the car when the 2017-2019 were under recall the day before the 2020-2022 were added and the stop sale. Having owned vehicles for 30+ years, I've never "Not" had a recall. Some were almost as bad as the very minor fire risk, Frame rust CRV suspension, Airbags (4 cars), Antilock brake failure to stop (That one caused a crash) so as long as GM and LG fix it, I'm good. I'd recommend a Bolt to anyone once the recall is sorted.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2011 Cruze Eco MT
52 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2021 LT Loaded
Month / Year purchased: May 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $27,500

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers. We did have a 2018 Volt bought new in late 2017. That was totaled in April. We had planned on waiting a bit longer to get a BEV, but the Bolt was only about $2k more than a replacement 2018 Volt Premier would have been. No regrets at all.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)?2- Not planning to trade or sell and are following the guidelines for charging. Still parking in our detached garage which is a long ways from any houses. We use departure charging now. I'd recommend a Bolt to anyone once the recall is sorted.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2020 Premier
Month / Year purchased: October 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $26,500
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I plan to keep the Bolt especially since there is nothing I can replace it with in the same or even reasonably higher price range. If I could buy a good 2017 or newer Model S with AWD, 3rd row seats and remaining warranty for $30k I would be out of the Bolt tomorrow. If I could find the same but in a 2015 or older even without warranty for under $15K I would be out of the Bolt tomorrow. In a couple of years I would like to make the Bolt my daughters car but who knows if they will even have resolution by then.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Month / Year purchased: Feb 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $28600 inc tax, reg, etc
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: --
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 -Love new technology, but hate paying the initial high prices(picture the scene in Wedding Singer where the guy says he bought her a cd player for $800) So either wait for first reasonable deal or go the DIY route (built 4 e-mountain bikes at home)
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - Love the Bolt, still daily driving it. Expect it to not catch fire while awaiting final resolution. Would buy its GM replacement. Especially with a little better seats, built-in garage door opener of some kind, and faster DCFC(although I charge at home, and only needed DCFC once in almost 11k miles.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts