Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 Premier
Month / Year purchased: Jan 2021 ( 39k )
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): 17,400$ ( tax title car )
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: --
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 4 - I dont really buy new things if I can find them used. I also tend to keep stuff until it wears out.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - It is perfect for me and my 40 mile surface street commute. When I get another car I wouldnt have an issue with getting a Bolt although I dont really like the "all in one" temp controls and the seats. Now with experience I will look to how fast ( 50 -> 150 kWh ) a car charges as a variable in my next vehicle. I think the one pedal is better than every other E car I have driven.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
408 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2019 Premier
Month / Year purchased: December 2019
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $28500 (Including $1850 rebate)
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: $358
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers. I had high confidence that GM/LG would produce a safe car. I am also an Electronic Engineer and always wanted an EV. The price was too good to be true. LOL
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 7 I know a LOT about how volatile Lithium Ion batteries can be and I had huge faith that GM/LG had developed a design that was ready for mass adoption. The experience of the last few months has shown me that this is not the case. Further, I am concerned that the entire industry has jumped into this without proper regard for the safety of these systems. I may not come back to EV's unless there is some sort of required safety standard similar to the present crash worthiness standards. GM needs to stop all EV design and figure out how to eliminate this fire hazard. We need to take a "zero" tolerance stance and stop putting our heads in the sand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2021 LT
Month / Year purchased: June 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $31,500
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: N/A
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I used to be a 1, but was "burned" too many times so now am a 2-3, though am still attracted to brand new things
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 5 - this was a weird question because it mixed whether I would buy a bolt tomorrow vs whether I'm afraid of EV's in general. On the whether I'm afraid of EV's, my score would be a "1", which means NO, not at all. If the question is "Would I buy a Bolt tomorrow" my score would be an 8, mainly because with the restrictions it's totally untenable in our current situation - we live in an extremely fire-prone area in the summer (think like Paradise, CA), and we have 8' snow drifts in our driveway in winter... and an attached garage with 3 kids who live at home in an upstairs location.... so charging in the garage is a no go, charging outside is a no go, and so the car is a no go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2019 Premier

Month / Year purchased: July 2019

If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $33,000 ($31,500 before sales tax/title/registration). (Also before fed/state tax incentives/rebates, subtract $5250 for those.)

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - we had been driving 83-mile eGolfs since 2015, before anyone else we knew got EVs. Also got cable broadband internet in the mid 1990's. For other things, more of a laggard - I wear contacts but I'll never get Lasik.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - a bit of a trick question for me. In the spirit of the question: depends on how GM handles this. I'm willing to wait "a while" for the fix; if GM handles it to my satisfaction I'd buy a Bolt again if the only consideration was my trust in GM's ability to deliver a safe product based on their handling of the Bolt issue. (The tricky part: if a competitor comes up with an EV that I like better, I'd probably buy that instead; not because I wouldn't trust GM, only because GM wouldn't offer the product I want.) If the question is "would you buy an EV again? (brand/model unspecified)" then the answer would be 1, yes, absolutely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT
Month / Year purchased: July 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $17,500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I eagerly look forward to technological innovation and embrace change, but don't want to pay for the early adopter fee and wait for bugs to be ironed out in subsequent versions. However, when I do buy, I buy to hold for awhile so I can at least get value from it.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 5 - Its a relatively low risk, but higher than is acceptable defect in the vehicle. However, the defect is so catastrophic in nature that it is something that GM needs to fix - and ASAP. Cars melting to the pavement isn't something that will encourage more people to switch to driving an EV. However, the Bolt is a really good car for what you get, although it does have its flaws. I am willing to take the risk in driving the car, but until they resolve the issue I cannot recommend anyone else buy it. Once they do resolve it, I will continue to recommend it as the best car ever. Anyway, that being said its safety features and low cost of ownership put it in a class over there with Tesla.... but more affordable. I should mention that I am lucky in that I am able to charge my car outside, away from structures.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,240 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT
Month / Year purchased: May 2017
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): Leased
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: Down payment around $2K, monthly approx. $450.00 over 3 years and 45K miles.
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? Usually I am a laggard, but I viewed the Bolt as a natural continuation of the Volt development, only with a much larger battery and no engine.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? I got rid of the Bolt in 2019, well before the fire-related recalls. I am certainly interested in another BEV, but not right now and definitely not from the likes of GM.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
190 Posts
Month / Year purchased: March 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $27,500 all included
On a scale of 1 to 5: 1 - I love new toys. I would have bought a Bolt earlier but I could not justify the cost.
On a scale of 1 to 10: 2 - They'll get my Bolt back when they offer me something better as a swap. My accommodation to the recall is to park further from the house. But, I would not recommend it to anyone else until they have resolved this issue.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2019 LT
Month / Year purchased: March 2019
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $32,500 ($22,500 after state/federal rebates)
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - were it not for the risk to the neighborhood, I could care less about the (low) risk of the Bolt catching fire. But I probably won't buy another GM EV because I doubt they're going to make another compact hatchback EV (or a decent sports car) - it's all trucks and SUVs from here on out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 Premier
Month / Year purchased: Oct 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): CAD$31,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? Between 1 and 5 as it depends - I tend to modify things sometimes to make them answer my needs better and/or tend to get new technologies when they first come out ex: bitcoins(2009)/paypal(2003)/pc(1995)/computer bike(1985)/BEV(1995)/twitter(2007)/voip(2006)/ssd(2009)... or tend to be the last to get something (threw away my cellphone something like a decade ago)
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 1 - I'm keeping the Bolt for the time being but depending how my needs go may either switch to another car later on (not related to the recall) or go back to public transportation if i feel like i don't need a car anymore like before the bolt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2020 LT
Month / Year purchased:January 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $28,000 (before $1875 Fed Tax Credit)
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - We plan to keep the Bolt and wait for the resolution, even if it takes a year+, but I probably wouldn't recommend any new EV to family / friends until batteries (all LG?) have a better track record. Current restrictions do not affect our usage. Tech nerd - almost obsessive OBD monitoring since before the fires.

·
Registered
2020 Oasis Blue Powderpuff
6 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2020
Month / Year purchased:September 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $27,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 5 Do not want to pay the 'new' price, and suspicious of longevity. Took me years to get a smartphone.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 I have been conscious of my ICE emissions for some time, and had my eye on an EV for several years. I was hoping for the Kia Soul, but when Kia decided not to sell the extended range model in the US, I looked to the Bolt, and the Costco rebate sealed the deal. I've been really happy with it, and mindful of the fire risk, but willing to keep it (unless the Soul EV does get sold here). I told my sister to consider a Bolt if they get the battery issue resolved.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
12 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT, w/15,900mi
Month / Year purchased: September 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $17,500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend to let other people, when it comes to cars at least, run in head first before me. In 2014 I leased a Volt, and after turning in the Volt, I leased a 2016 30 kWh Nissan LEAF. I wanted a Bolt when they were released on 2017, but just couldn't justify the full MSRP people were paying at that time. I am firmly in the camp of never wanting to own an ICE powered four-wheeled vehicle again.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - Obviously having JUST bought this, I ran into theater after someone shouted fire. At the price I paid after taxes/tag/title, I felt it was a pretty low/no risk transaction. I think my experience with the LEAF basically made me willing to roll the dice on GM replacing the battery, or more/less making me whole financially in the end.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premium with every option
181 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2018 Premium with every option.
Month / Year purchased: July 2018
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $42000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I tend not to buy new technologies when they first come out, but I will jump in before most of my friends / coworkers
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 8 Not afraid at all. Even though I got it at a good price (OTD was the price of a base Premium), GM dropped the price so much I stand to get back 10Gs more than a lot of people paid for theirs, so this baby is going back. That, and we can't use the car as intended since shortly after purchase.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2018 LT
Month / Year purchased: March 2019
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $50K CAD
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 1 -- actually I'm more impressed with Chevy since the recall, due to the quality of their communications and the fairly expensive "make it good" path they are taking. Big contrast with VW's earlier fiasco re emissions compliance. Looking forward to getting a bit more range with the replacement battery pack. No intention of dumping the car. Always use Hill Top Reserve anyway. Really, the recall has had very little impact on me emotionally or in any other way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 LT.
Month / Year purchased: November 2017.
If bought, out-the-door price: $37500 (w/ > $2k GA VAT Tax & w/o $7500 tax deduction).
If leased, lease down payment, monthly payment, and term: $500 for 72 @ 1.99%.
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 1 - Living on the east coast it was hard to even see a bolt until late spring.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 5 - This is a loaded question. Looking back 3+ years we have had a few minor issues. The new Bolts had some appeal with an improved interior and better seats (key short comings of the Gen 1 Bolt). The battery issue itself has not been a concern. We have been using the hill top reserve since day 1 except for a few trips that stretched the range. We have added a smoke alarm to the garage since the charger wont reach outside the garage; hopefully you will not see us on the news). GM's handling of the situation has really soured our opinion of buying another Bolt & GM product.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2017 Premiere
Month / Year purchased: Feb 2017
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $40,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - I'm an early adopter on some things, and not on others. For cars, I don't feel like doing the home hobbyist thing, so I waited until a big player (GM) seemed to have made a strong effort at doing something for regular folks. I went in knowing the the first model year always has some teething issues, and this was the first EV GM had done in 20 years, so it would be even worse. With the exception of the battery fire issue(s) it's been quite trouble free.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I like EVs, and wouldn't have any issue buying a new EV. I don't know if I'm going to retain the Bolt. I'm not super concerned about the recall/fire, I expect GM will figure out a way to do the right thing, but this might be a good time to use a repurchase to bridge to something a little nicer on the inside.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Month / Year purchased: March 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $32,500
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 2 - Love the Bolt, still daily driving it. Expect it to not catch fire while awaiting final resolution. Would buy its GM replacement. Especially with a little better seats, charge at home tried DCFC worked fine. Great vehicle purchase!! Fits me like a nice leather glove.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Month / Year purchased: May 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $25,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - Between a 1 and a 2. Some technologies I wait for the bugs to get worked out first. Others I'm willing to take the risk.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 1 - The risk of being an early adopter. I have solar and had always planned on getting an EV if prices came down enough. The deal on the Bolt was ridiculously good. It was worth the risk. Aside from that, as Thanos said EVs are inevitable and after driving one there's no way I would ever go back to an ICE unless I absolutely had no other choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Month / Year purchased: May 2021
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $45,000
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 1. I had a 2012 Volt before and loved it.I also have an electric bike.For me the next step had to be an electric car.There was no way i would go backward.For me it is one word FREEDOM.Freedom to just go for a car ride on a nowhere,freedom to get what i want when i want it not waiting to go for everything once a week.To also know that at 73 years old i am finished with being part of the polution problem even if i will never compensate with the polution i created.Being able to say that i have reached a goal of not returning to a ICE car.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 7 - I knew that this car was highly rated and recommended by car experts.I did my homework before buying.I however did not expect that the fire problem was still there in 2021.And the fact of reducing my autonomy will cause some problem in living in Canada next winter.Of what i have read most fires happen in hot weather so winter should not be too risky.I even planned to drive to Florida next winter but now with reduced range i cancelled that.I do hope GM find a solution to this problem because i am still convinced that i made a good purchase.I am aware this solution will take a long time to come for me since i think GM will replace bateries in 2017-2019 models before 2021.Hope somewhere the wait will be in some sort compensated $$$ by GM because presently i am not getting what i paid for.Futur will tell!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Model Year / Trim: 2020 LT
Month / Year purchased: March 2020
If bought, out-the-door price (round to nearest $500): $28500
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1=Innovator and 5=Laggard, how would you rate yourself on the Innovation Adoption Curve and why (explain the rating)? 2 - It varies depending on my interest, my assessment of usefulness and/or money saving potential. I don't resist new tech. I bought the Bolt primarily because I worry about the effects of climate change and it did occur to me that there could be burning issues.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1=Don't care at all and would buy a Bolt tomorrow to 10=Extremely afraid and never want any EV again, how would you rate your reaction to the recall / fire risk and why (explain the rating)? 3 - I'm leaning towards keeping the Bolt and waiting for the resolution, even if it takes a year+, but I probably wouldn't recommend any new EV to family / friends until it's had at least a 4 year track record (there were 0 Bolt fires before March 2019, and 12 Bolt fires by the end of 2020). 2 - I live in the middle of nowhere where no one will know if my Bolt burns unless I tell them and I presume that if it burns, I'll get a new Bolt for nothing. I'm just now parking and charging it in a spot where it can't catch anything else on fire but if this is still going on next summer, I'll have to figure out some shade for it. I'm hoping Chevy will figure out how to reliably tell good batteries from bad before then and mine will be determined to be good so I won't need a new battery. I want to drive the car with this battery for many years and many miles if that's possible.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts