Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

What travel L2 EVSE do you use?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use when you are away from home? What do you keep in your trunk just in case?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thinking about getting something adjustable, like a Grizzle, so I can feed 16 amps to my Bolt and 13 amps (one of the car settings) to my E-Golf on the same 40 amp line.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thinking about getting something adjustable, like a Grizzle, so I can feed 16 amps to my Bolt and 13 amps (one of the car settings) to my E-Golf on the same 40 amp line.
At the same time? Why do you need an oddball (Schuko max?) current?

I believe the Grizzl-Es only goes by standard NA increments: 16, 24 and 32.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 40 amps on the EV breaker. Keeping things at 32 total or less, the e-Golf will do13 amps (or 30 if you set it for that) on my existing evse and the Bolt could do 16 amps via dip switch settings on a Grizzle. Our 2 EV's get a lot of seat time but 16 amps seems plenty fast enough most of the time. I also like summer charging at lower amperages due to lower voltages that can occur in my area.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
145 Posts
I have a Grizzl-E portable, but have only used it on travel at 24 Amps. So I voted twice, <24 and >24.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
231 Posts
While I have my factory EVSE in the trunk, I've never even taken it out of the bag. So far, any charging away from home has been on a commercial charging station, mostly Chargepoint. I'm taking a road trip at the end of the month, and the hotel I've booked has free charging for guests, so I won't be using mine there either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I've used the OEM L1 120V so far, after reading here I am going to install a 240V breaker and plug and made an adapter to plug the OEM at my inlaws, a place we travel to 160 miles one way, a lot. it will allow a full recharge in about 12 hours so we can get home from any length trip the next day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got a Turbocord 240V, and worked out a whole set of adapters (okay maybe reworked for use from the OEM charger), as a back up for my while I tried to iron out issue with a Siemens Versicharge which I never got to work reliably. So that got packed when I was out at the parents. Later I picked up a lightly used CC AmazingE 32A charge (basically a scaled up a OEM charger) for a good deal to use for our 2nd Bolt.

NEMA 14-50 is useful enough as if you plan to do any camping. Some hotels have valets that allow charging if you bring your own charger and a surprising number of museums.

That being said, I purchased this all in 2019 In the last three years, with the growth of fast DC networks, it is less necessary.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
204 Posts
Voted don't have one. Live in a condo bldg; no outlets of any kind.
Considered getting an adaptor for the factory EVSE; but never did.

I have the Tesla Tap for road trips. Never actually used it. But came
close. Some hotels I stayed had both, one bar/mall had two Tesla &
one J1772, Ohio Caverns had 3 Tesla & 1 J1772.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,480 Posts
A modified to 240V Leaf EVSE (16A). Lots of adapters and a #12AWG 90' extension cord. All with L6-20 connectors.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The only thing I carry with me is a Tesla to J-1772 adapter. Just too many Tesla destination charges where no J-1772 exists.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I answered none. Have never needed it in my over 8 years of driving BEVs as my primary car.

Plugshare for finding J1772, CCS and in the case of my 1st Leaf, CHAdeMO is enough for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Normally, I use DCFC (DC Level 2) for travel, except when I am staying overnight. Then I use whatever AC Level 2 they have installed. When I travel to the EVSE wasteland in the hills of eastern WV, I take my portable 30-amp Siemens VersiCharge with its NEMA 6-50 plug and my homemade 10' extension cord with NEMA 6-50 outlet (in weatherproof box) and NEMA 14-50 plug. Then I only need that NEMA 14-50 outlet found at all RV parks and all KOA Kampgrounds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought a Shell Recharge 32a portable EVSE. It checked all the boxes for me:
  • (apparently) high quality. Not a no-name brand.
  • can charge Bolt at full 32a.
  • adjustable to 12, 16, or 24a if on smaller circuit.
  • can connect to 120v with included adapter.
  • nice carrying case.

Being able to turn down the amperage is a big deal to me if I’m plugging in to someone’s 30a dryer outlet or something similar. Having 120v capability means I can sell my OEM EVSE to recoup some of the cost. It has a tiny screen that shows all the pertinent info such as line voltage, amperage, total kW, and temperature of the unit. And as far as the aqua blue color…. It’s growing on me. I kind of like that it’s not just a black box with a black cord.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I use the Tesla UMC with three A/C pigtails and a TeslaTap. Nothing's going to stop me! I can charge at the full charge rate available at any of these:
  • 120V outlets
  • 240V/30A outlets
  • 240V/50A outlets
  • Tesla Destination chargers
  • J1772 chargers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe this is a different thread, but does anyone have an opinion on using a "travel" charger as their main at home charger? I'm comparing the AmazingE Fast 32 Amp charger (32A Level 2 EVSE AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 Plug | Powered by ClipperCreek) and the Clipper Creek 32 Amp station (32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40P with NEMA 14-50 Plug). Is there a downside of using the "portable" AmazingE over the Clipper Creek?

As best I can tell, they both have 32 Amp output, are both made by Clipper Creek (so I trust them from a safety perspective) and the AmazingE is $100 cheaper and lighter. I realize that assembly of the AmazingE is "contracted out," but its still backed by CC and both are listed.

Is there a drawback to using a "portable" charger for daily home charging? Is there a shorter life on the portable ones or something? You can use it to charge at home, but then also have it to throw in the trunk for a road trip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts