Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

What travel L2 EVSE do you use?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
Maybe this is a different thread, but does anyone have an opinion on using a "travel" charger as their main at home charger? I'm comparing the AmazingE Fast 32 Amp charger (32A Level 2 EVSE AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 Plug | Powered by ClipperCreek) and the Clipper Creek 32 Amp station (32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40P with NEMA 14-50 Plug). Is there a downside of using the "portable" AmazingE over the Clipper Creek?

As best I can tell, they both have 32 Amp output, are both made by Clipper Creek (so I trust them from a safety perspective) and the AmazingE is $100 cheaper and lighter. I realize that assembly of the AmazingE is "contracted out," but its still backed by CC and both are listed.

Is there a drawback to using a "portable" charger for daily home charging? Is there a shorter life on the portable ones or something? You can use it to charge at home, but then also have it to throw in the trunk for a road trip.
If by "travel charger" you mean that it plugs into an outlet (vs being hard-wired), I don't think there's a significant difference unless you plan to plug and unplug a lot. Then the connection to the outlet might get loose, and you'd want to watch out for heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If by "travel charger" you mean that it plugs into an outlet (vs being hard-wired), I don't think there's a significant difference unless you plan to plug and unplug a lot. Then the connection to the outlet might get loose, and you'd want to watch out for heat.
Both of these are the "plug in" versions - so its not a hardwire vs. plugin question. Its a question of using a "portable" plug in one all the time at home versus a "mounted" plugin one. The CC one is much bigger and heavier (and more expensive) as compared to the AmazingE. I probably wouldn't unplug it often, but am just wondering if the portable ones are of lower quality or generate more heat or something as they have the same output in a smaller package.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Both of these are the "plug in" versions - so its not a hardwire vs. plugin question. Its a question of using a "portable" plug in one all the time at home versus a "mounted" plugin one. The CC one is much bigger and heavier (and more expensive) as compared to the AmazingE. I probably wouldn't unplug it often, but am just wondering if the portable ones are of lower quality or generate more heat or something as they have the same output in a smaller package.
I can't compare the AmazingE 32A to the HCS-40, but my JuiceBox Pro 32A and EVSE-RS have chunkier cables and beefier plugs. I do use the AmazingE for everyday charging. The portable ones don't make the "ka-chunk" the wall units do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is there a drawback to using a "portable" charger for daily home charging? Is there a shorter life on the portable ones or something? You can use it to charge at home, but then also have it to throw in the trunk for a road trip.
I don't think there's a problem. If you look inside a portable (inline cord style) vs a wall mount, you'll find about the same hardware inside of them. When the "big" ones like the Siemens Versicharge I have at home is mostly empty space inside. The actual electronics inside of it would easily fit into a portable EVSE. Some of the wall chargers (like mine) make a louder "clunk" when power is supplied. I believe this in only because they use bigger mechanical relays. I don't think the relays take too much abuse in an EVSE because power-up is ramped up rather than instant high amperage. You can see this in the car's display when you start charging, and it is part of the SAE J1772 standard.

Many people use portable EVSEs full time. That's why most of them have keyholes in the back to hang them on the wall, or some of them come with a wall hanging pocket that they slip into. As far as longevity, I think it depends more on brand and build quality than whether it is portable or wall mounted. You will find that more of the cheap/no-name EVSEs are portables, so they are probably lower quality on average, but not because they are portable.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Maybe this is a different thread, but does anyone have an opinion on using a "travel" charger as their main at home charger?
I'm not sure what qualifies a charger as a "travel" charger other than it having an A/C plug rather than being wired into a junction box. But I use the EVSE that came with the Bolt for my main charger, running off 240V. It gets used a few times a week, I don't expect it to die just because I'm using it a lot.

I also have the Tesla UMC in my trunk along with a TeslaTap adapter and a few A/C pigtails for different types of outlets. One of the things I like about this is that if the OEM EVSE ever does die, I have a "spare" I can fall back on.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
14 Posts
What do you use when you are away from home? What do you keep in your trunk just in case?
I keep the lvl 1 that came with the car in the trunk, but I plan on stopping at Lvl 3 charging stations if I need power. The main place I drive that's any distance from my home has a lvl 2 (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) in their garage, which is convenient for me. Forgot to mention that I do have a Tesla adapter in the trunk in addition to the lvl 1.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt, 2017
51 Posts
Voted don't have one. Live in a condo bldg; no outlets of any kind.
Considered getting an adaptor for the factory EVSE; but never did.

I have the Tesla Tap for road trips. Never actually used it. But came
close. Some hotels I stayed had both, one bar/mall had two Tesla &
one J1772, Ohio Caverns had 3 Tesla & 1 J1772.
I also use a Tesla Tap as I visit my son and he has a Tesla...so I can use his home charger. I want to report it works GREAT...I love it. As a backup on a road trip it would be handy when you check in to hotels which have a Tesla charger, as it does NOT work on Tesla Super Chargers...only home chargers. I got it here:

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt, 2017
51 Posts
I also use a Tesla Tap as I visit my son and he has a Tesla...so I can use his home charger. I want to report it works GREAT...I love it. As a backup on a road trip it would be handy when you check in to hotels which have a Tesla charger, as it does NOT work on Tesla Super Chargers...only home chargers. I got it here:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts