Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Taycan's EPA rating of 192 miles versus the Tesla's 326 has been a top discussion on some sites. C&D did a 75 mph test for 100 miles and extrapolated the range for the Taycan as 209 miles and the Tesla as 222 miles. The Taycan has a 93.4 kWh battery versus the Tesla 98 kWh battery. If you extrapolate the Taycan range to the same battery capacity as the Tesla it would be 219.3 miles. So the real world freeway driving efficiency of both cars are about the same.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The biggest eye opener to me is that after 3 runs, the Model S is a 15 second car in the 1/4 mile... and a 6 second car to 60. I had no idea they cut it back that much after so few runs!

Mike

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The biggest eye opener to me is that after 3 runs, the Model S is a 15 second car in the 1/4 mile... and a 6 second car to 60. I had no idea they cut it back that much after so few runs! Mike
Before they began shutting down all of them, I subscribed to eight auto magazines. They all strive for the hook/headline which will garner a few more news stand sales or become on-line click bait. I mean really, how many times will a BEV owner be making more than three back-to-back drag strip runs?

Yes a few rich twits will track a Tesla or the Porsche just because they can; JMHO, but that particular situation is zero/zip/nada in the real world of 99% of BEV buyers.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Before they began shutting down all of them, I subscribed to eight auto magazines. They all strive for the hook/headline which will garner a few more news stand sales or become on-line click bait. I mean really, how many times will a BEV owner be making more than three back-to-back drag strip runs?

Yes a few rich twits will track a Tesla or the Porsche just because they can; JMHO, but that particular situation is zero/zip/nada in the real world of 99% of BEV buyers.

jack vines
Still relevant for those that want to track or drive hard. I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought a motorcycle that was very fast, but only for a short period of time. I wasn't aware the Model S performance was so severely limited.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Still relevant for those that want to track or drive hard. I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought a motorcycle that was very fast, but only for a short period of time. I wasn't aware the Model S performance was so severely limited.
^This. Road courses, spirited curvy roads, or just 3 blasts to 60 from 3 consecutive red lights... and you lose 66% of your performance? That's pretty pathetic.

Mike

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
^This. Road courses, spirited curvy roads, or just 3 blasts to 60 from 3 consecutive red lights... and you lose 66% of your performance? That's pretty pathetic.

Mike
Pathetic? Let's be clear, they're not saying three 0-60s; the Tesla will handle three full Ludicrous-mode 1/4-mile runs before the wiring gets hot enough to require the power to be limited.

Spirited curvy roads? I've driven a Tesla far harder and faster than was safe or sane, going uphill a ten-mile-long Utah ski resort mountain pass closed to downhill traffic. It never got close to overheating on anything possible on a public road.

jack vines

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally after all these years, an actual Tesla-killer. You'll have to pay handsomely for it, but here it is.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
The Tesla is both lighter and has more horsepower. Sounds like it's 1 OTA update and better tires away from taking the 1/4 mile crown back. The EPA efficiency was abysmal too, though I wonder how C&D managed to get them to perform nearly the same.

If I owned a car company, I'd love to bake in some extra headroom into the performance of the vehicle, then software limit it until someone brags that they have beat me. Then unlock the performance and let them down. -"There's something I ought to tell you. I'm not left handed either".

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It would actually be pathetic if the new Taycan that's designed to be a sports car lost to an 8 year old luxury sedan, especially at twice the price. The performance aspects aren't really very far apart and of course the Model 3 doesn't suffer from the overheating issue of the aging Model S. That may have been a better comparison. The Model 3 would still have lost in most performance metrics but would have held it's own. And you can get 3 for 1.
The upcoming Model S Plaid version that spanked the Taycan's Nürburgring times coming out this fall will put to rest the overheating issue.

The more interesting detail that I think gives Porsche kudo's is how well it's range performance was. I understand it was extrapolated from a 100 mile test but still, at 75 mph, it seems to be as efficient as the Model S. I'm certain the better aero and 2 speed transmission has a lot to do with it but when people complain about range anxiety, it's generally about long distance travel. That typically consists of extended high speed runs for hours at a time at 75 mph. Around town efficiency at 45mph when you have a 200 mile range is usually not a concern. You fill up at home each night, yada, yada, yada.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Finally after all these years, an actual Tesla-killer. You'll have to pay handsomely for it, but here it is.
Wouldn't say that exactly, but maybe Tesla competitor is more apt. The Tesla still won in the comparo 211 points to 198.

And this is Car and Driver testing. If it was Consumer Reports the Tesla would have won by an even larger margin (see the "Vehicle" section of the scoring), and that from that what you will.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The fact that Tesla's EPA range of 326 miles equated to ~222 at 75MPH makes me feel a lot better about my Bolt (which also gets nowhere near 240 miles at 75MPH, but at least it doesn't cost $80k). It also suggests that we need a better highway rating calculation from the EPA.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Have owners confirmed the long range Tesla is only getting 220 miles in real life?

I find publications like C&D and Consumer Reports to always be way off on their efficiency ratings. Enough so that they can be ignored altogether. The reason is that they don't have controlled tests. They don't control for temperature, or speed, or really any variable at all. Then they race the cars around everywhere so they can talk about performance; the only thing they value.

EPA testing requires for all variables to be controlled so that results are comparable and repeatable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The fact that Tesla's EPA range of 326 miles equated to ~222 at 75MPH makes me feel a lot better about my Bolt (which also gets nowhere near 240 miles at 75MPH, but at least it doesn't cost $80k). It also suggests that we need a better highway rating calculation from the EPA.
Yes, the EPA "highway" test isn't really high speed highway at all:
Duration: 765 seconds​
Total distance: 10.26 miles​
Average Speed: 48.3 mi/h

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Have owners confirmed the long range Tesla is only getting 220 miles in real life?

I find publications like C&D and Consumer Reports to always be way off on their efficiency ratings. Enough so that they can be ignored altogether. The reason is that they don't have controlled tests. They don't control for temperature, or speed, or really any variable at all. Then they race the cars around everywhere so they can talk about performance; the only thing they value.

EPA testing requires for all variables to be controlled so that results are comparable and repeatable.
It’s possible if it was very cold to loose 25% I suppose. It would need to be single digits though based on my experience. I think there’s a comparison test where it did better than that @ 90+ avg. speed. I’ll try and dig into it tomorrow.
At 70 degrees @ 75 mpg on the flat, it should do 290ish miles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, the EPA "highway" test isn't really high speed highway at all:
Duration: 765 seconds​
Total distance: 10.26 miles​
Average Speed: 48.3 mi/h
Seriously? Wow, that's disappointing. Thanks for pointing this out.

Given that most US interstates have a limit of 65-70 (and most drivers exceed those limits), that test seems vastly divorced from the real world.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Here's a graph compiled from ABRP using logs pulled from Tesla's using the app.

Looks like around 290 at 75 as I mentioned above for the Model 3. These are real world data, not a simulator or dyno.
Looks like the sweet spot is around 30 mph for close to 500 mile range.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pathetic? Let's be clear, they're not saying three 0-60s; the Tesla will handle three full Ludicrous-mode 1/4-mile runs before the wiring gets hot enough to require the power to be limited.

Spirited curvy roads? I've driven a Tesla far harder and faster than was safe or sane, going uphill a ten-mile-long Utah ski resort mountain pass closed to downhill traffic. It never got close to overheating on anything possible on a public road.

jack vines
The Model S only gets 2 "good" runs. After 2 runs, the 1/4 mile is in the high 13's and the 0-60 is just under 5 seconds. Do 2 more and it's slower than the Bolt. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty pathetic considering the performance hype of that car... and the cost.

Mike

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wonder if the Porsche that they tested included the optional heat pump. I still don't understand why Tesla doesn't include one for range when they make aero wheels to maximize range.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Given that most US interstates have a limit of 65-70 (and most drivers exceed those limits), that test seems vastly divorced from the real world.
The tests involve use of brakes and acceleration too. If people are doing that on the interstate in real life, they're doing it wrong (unless heavy traffic). That said, the EPA numbers tend to work out close to real life use.

I wonder if the Porsche that they tested included the optional heat pump. I still don't understand why Tesla doesn't include one for range when they make aero wheels to maximize range.
Tesla scavenges heat from cooling the motor, so their system should be more efficient than a straight resistive heater. There's always a balance between cost and performance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts