Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Before they began shutting down all of them, I subscribed to eight auto magazines. They all strive for the hook/headline which will garner a few more news stand sales or become on-line click bait. I mean really, how many times will a BEV owner be making more than three back-to-back drag strip runs?

Yes a few rich twits will track a Tesla or the Porsche just because they can; JMHO, but that particular situation is zero/zip/nada in the real world of 99% of BEV buyers.

jack vines
I did back to back to back drag strip passes in my Bolt with no degradation in performance, the car would be perfect for bracket racing... I haven't read the car and driver report yet so not sure how bad the performance drop in the Tesla was.

Keith.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Given that most US interstates have a limit of 65-70 (and most drivers exceed those limits), that test seems vastly divorced from the real world.
Wouldn't be surprised if most drivers on freeways were stuck in traffic jams of 5-25mph.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if most drivers on freeways were stuck in traffic jams of 5-25mph.
That is knows as "City" driving on the EPA testing. "Highway" doesn't refer to the type of road (or shouldn't)... but perhaps the people running the EPA live in cities and don't know what highways are supposed to be used for. In cross country driving the speed limits range from slow states at 65 mph to 85 mph in some parts of Texas... it was fun to see Nikki from Transport Evolved's reaction to doing 80+ mph in Texas after living on the West coast :)

Keith

·
Registered
307 Posts
CA speeds are a good 10 MPH faster across the board compared with OR speeds. A 35 zone here will be 45 in CA, and our freeways mostly max at 65 while CA hits 75.
Actually, highest speed limit in California is 70mph, found only on some rural freeways. The default freeway speed limit in California is 65mph. However, the speed limit when towing is no higher than 55mph.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Actually, highest speed limit in California is 70mph, found only on some rural freeways. The default freeway speed limit in California is 65mph. However, the speed limit when towing is no higher than 55mph.
Ah, I misremembered, probably because I just added 5 extra MPH over the posted speed.

Oregon has some stretches of 70 MPH, for instance on I-84. Anywhere you're likely to be the speed will be 55 or 65.

The thing I notice the most is that if the freeway has any on or off ramps nearby, the speed gets lowered to 55 MPH or lower. In CA, they will let you cruise on through at 70, even on road surfaces that aren't as smooth.

The town I live in the speed limit is 25 MPH everywhere. It's like perpetually being in a school zone. Fortunately it's a small town.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The Model S only gets 2 "good" runs. After 2 runs, the 1/4 mile is in the high 13's and the 0-60 is just under 5 seconds. Do 2 more and it's slower than the Bolt. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty pathetic considering the performance hype of that car... and the cost.

Mike
Not sure how this guy is able to race all day then.
Maybe there's a 5 minute cool down between.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The thing I notice the most is that if the freeway has any on or off ramps nearby, the speed gets lowered to 55 MPH or lower. In CA, they will let you cruise on through at 70, even on road surfaces that aren't as smooth.

The town I live in the speed limit is 25 MPH everywhere. It's like perpetually being in a school zone. Fortunately it's a small town.
In California, urban freeways are commonly given the (default) speed limit of 65mph, but actual speeds are often traffic-limited to much lower speeds. However, some urban freeways have different speed limits. Also, the default speed limit in a business or residence district is 25mph, but those streets may be given different speed limits by local governments.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, two lane (one lane each direction) undivided roads in California default to 55mph speed limit if they are not in a business or residence district (CVC 22349(b)).

Codes Display Text. may be of interest with respect to speed limits in California.

Codes Display Text includes the definition of business district and residence district.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Perhaps, but much of that driving is commuting, so generally shorter trips where vehicle range (and thus efficiency) is less critical.

Where I care about range is on road trips, and there the average freeway speed is usually 70-75, regardless of the official speed limit. The Bolt is a great car, but at those speeds, the range is easily 80 miles less than advertised, even without heat/AC.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
... which is why plug-in hybrids will continue to be an important transition technology for the next couple decades.

As I keep saying everywhere else, any vehicle that comes in both EV and PHEV versions, the PHEV outsells it by a factor of 2 or more.

I was dead set on an EV sedan about 7 years ago. With the announcement of the RAV4 Prime (40 EV miles, AWD, 300HP, 40MPG), that has me rethinking what I want.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Now that Tesla has easily surpassed the 300mi range mark (373mi range Model S currently available) and possibly the 500mi range mark for the Model S this summer with a new 120kWh battery... let's see what excuse the knuckle draggers come up with for not going electric....:rolleyes:

Rumor Mill: Upcoming 500-Mile Range For Tesla Model S, 400 For Model X
Cost would be primary.

Then there's the fact that the larger the battery, the worse it is for the environment, so it begins to defeat that benefit. A 120 kWh battery may never beat the emissions from say a Prius over the lifetime of the vehicle. There's so much entrained energy and emissions in the construction of a battery, that choosing the smallest size to accomplish the needs of the vehicle is important.

Finally, it would still be slower than a hybrid for a trip exceeding 500 miles.

It's very possible a 500 mile range vehicle would cost more, have caused more CO2 emissions, and take longer to travel than some ICE/hybrid/PHEV alternative.

I really don't see the point of a 500 mile range EV except virtue signalling and for manufacturers to make more money.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not sure how this guy is able to race all day then.
Maybe there's a 5 minute cool down between.
In an actual racing event you are unlikely to have back to back runs, ICE drag cars also benefit from a cool down between runs so this is sort of built in to events.

The first race was in daylight, the second race in the video was at night. Also, the second Daemon was significantly faster than the Tesla, but they were bracket racing in an 11 second bracket. The only reason the Tesla won the second race was skillful driving (nothing to sneeze at) The Tesla owner hit the brakes sooner than the Daemon, so he didn't 'break out' as bad as the Daemon did... on the brakes the Daemon still ran a 10.6

Keith

·
Registered
745 Posts
Perhaps, but much of that driving is commuting, so generally shorter trips where vehicle range (and thus efficiency) is less critical.

Where I care about range is on road trips, and there the average freeway speed is usually 70-75, regardless of the official speed limit. The Bolt is a great car, but at those speeds, the range is easily 80 miles less than advertised, even without heat/AC.
I get about 60 miles less than the EPA rating at freeway speeds on a full charge. The problem is that most charging stops I only charge to a max of 65% (second charge rate taper) so real world range between stops on a road trip is about 120 miles. Not a problem for me now with the Electrify America network... but it hasn't spread everywhere yet.

Keith

21 - 37 of 37 Posts