Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand if I can use the portable charge cord that came with the Bolt with a 240v/30amp outlet. Assuming I get an adapter, will it actually charge the car at the higher rate?

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you get a 240V adapter, it will charge at the same current 12A, and twice the voltage, 240V. Since power is volts * amps, this will double the charging power, and halve the charging time.

Basically, you will go from 1.45 kW to 2.9 kW. With a 32A EVSE...you would get 7 kW.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I don't understand if I can use the portable charge cord that came with the Bolt with a 240v/30amp outlet. Assuming I get an adapter, will it actually charge the car at the higher rate?
As frank just said, yes it will. I added a 240V/15A breaker into my garage panel and wired it to a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet of the kind that the EVSE (also known as the "portable charge cord") can plug directly into. Car works perfectly with it, charges twice as fast, and nothing gets overheated. It's a dirt cheap way to double your charge rate.

The biggest issue is that the EVSE's plug doesn't fit into a standard 240V socket - so you need to wire up a NEMA 5-15 socket to 240V like I did, or you have to make (or buy) an adapter of some sort.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Make one of these and your set, I tested it on my dryer plug (thus using two adapters, this one for 240/50A and another for the dryer 30A style plug). I didn't plug it into the car but the EVSE seemed happy, just spend $20 and make yourself an adapter and throw it under the false floor, might come in handy.

When I was ousted out of my house from wildfires I used the GM included EVSE quite a bit. I liked it because it was so light and easy to deal with, and my sister only had a wall socket available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why two adapters; why not just one dryer plug to EVSE adapter?

Or are you saying you purchased the CarCharging.US adapter and then had to adapt that to YOUR dryer outlet?

Your use of the word "make" confuses me.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
When you're on the road and in a pinch to find an L2 charger, serviced RV campsites can come to the rescue because they have 240V hookups. But they use a different plug style - so carrying adapters for each plug style gives you more opportunities for charging.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sean, I carry 3 adapters, just for that very reason with my AV TurboCord.

I just did not understand why Bolta was suggesting to "make" an adapter that required two, when, if he was making it to fit to his dryer plug, he can make it directly to work with just that one.

·
Registered
592 Posts

Or are you saying you purchased the CarCharging.US adapter and then had to adapt that to YOUR dryer outlet?

Your use of the word "make" confuses me.
I recently made the 240V adapter for the GM included EVSE as shown on the linked page above, but previously at my sisters house I just used a 120V wall socket (her dryer plug was too far away and too hard to get to). That's all, I'm just saying the included EVSE, while slow, is still very handy and useful, and making a 240V adapter makes it even more useful and versatile.

·
Registered
782 Posts
or you can get a Tesla UMC that works as both and L1/L2 Charger (up to 40 amps charging rate, 32 for the Bolt) and has a wide range of adapter available for most any electrical plug/socket you're likely to encounter in the US...it's unfortunate to plug into a 30 amp dryer/water heater outlet (or 50 amp RV plug) and only get 12 amps of charge rate, when you could be getting 24/32 amps - here let me check my math - 2 to 3 times as fast as 12 amps…

I agree that having 240 volt "adapters/pigtails" for the included charger with the Bolt makes it more useful, but I still feel a better solution (for extra $$$) is to carry an actual L1/L2 charger that can charge the Bolt at it's full capacity. Chevy is doing a dis-service to it's EV customers by not including/offering a well thought out solution for mobile L2 charging.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the Tesla UMC, instead of the JuiceBox Pro. We don't get reliable internet to our garage, which makes its main features useless. And the Tesla unit would have been much smaller, and lighter to carry along.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I personally would rather Chevy not give me their stock L1 at all and take $500 off the price.

I can get 16A dual voltage EVSEs for $200 on FleaBay. And think MOST garage outlets are 20A nowadays anyways, for when I go to grandmas house.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the Tesla UMC, instead of the JuiceBox Pro. We don't get reliable internet to our garage, which makes its main features useless. And the Tesla unit would have been much smaller, and lighter to carry along.
Sync it to your car WIFI if you have it?

What's really useful with the JuiceBox is the ability to (among many other features) set the charge limit. For example I keep it between 30%-70% because that's a nice safe range that LiIon likes. So, when it gets to 30% and needs a charge, I tell the JB to only add 24kWh of charge (I have a small spread sheet and program in my calculator when it's some other value). That way it stops charging at my preferred 70% automatically. Obviously you can also use Hilltop Reserve - when I'm going on a longer trip I'll charge to 90%, and basically never charge to 100%

And of course limiting the amperage is critical. Some of my adapters are only for lines rated at < 30A which you can set with the JB, I believe with the Tesla UMC that has to be done in the car (which the Bolt doesn't support)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, but Tesla UMC requires conversion to the J1772? And a converted Tesla UMC sells for like $900?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok, but Tesla UMC requires conversion to the J1772? And a converted Tesla UMC sells for like $900?
You use a stock UMC unmodified and buy the $272 jdapter - the jdapter is useful buy itself since you can use it with any Tesla charger nationwide, and the UMC is an excellent portable L1/L2 40 amp charger with a high degree of adapter choices for various charging scenarios.

Pricey but very flexible and an excellent EV road warrior kit...

Jdapter alone is useful if you plan to drive your EV most anywhere away from home.

Tesla UMC with two plug adapters 5-15/14-50 is $550 + tax + shipping https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-mobile-connector-bundle.html?sku=1025821-00-G
Jdapter is $272 including Tax/shipping with discount code http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

with a Jdapter in your J_1772 compatible EV (like the Bolt and others) you will be able to use:

1. your own Tesla UMC or friend or family's UMC
2. any Tesla wall charger you might encounter again at friends/familiy
3. install a Tesla wall charger in your home and use it
4. any of 1000's of Tesla L2 "Destination Chargers" nationwide

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=destination charger&name=usa

follow the link and see all the grey "pins" on the map - those are all 40-80 AMP Tesla Destination L2 chargers that could potentially charge your Bolt if you have a Jdapter - so in addition to DCFast Charge and public J-1772 chargers you'd be able to use all the Tesla L2 chargers also (no supercharger support - my apologies).

so even if you don't want a Tesla UMC as your mobile/home EVSE - the Jdapter should be part of any serious EV owner's road trip kit.

·
Registered
782 Posts
And of course limiting the amperage is critical. Some of my adapters are only for lines rated at < 30A which you can set with the JB, I believe with the Tesla UMC that has to be done in the car (which the Bolt doesn't support)
if you need to set the amperage on the Tesla UMC you do that by switching the NEMA plug-adapter on the end of it - the Tesla UMC adapts the AMP it reports to the car based on what type of plug adapter is currently on the end - admittedly this isn't as "direct" as the software method via Wifi with the juice box but it works and works well. ProfessorBolta is correct that Tesla allows "in car" AMP adjustments for L2 charging so in some cases with an L2 charger you just do it via the Tesla charging software - a nice feature of the Tesla charging software is that it remembers these settings based on GPS co-oridinates - so that next time you car is in that location and charging it remembers your schedule/AMP settings so you don't have to keep setting that over and over again.

The Tesla UMC comes with two thermally protected adapter plugs:

NEMA 5-15 - 120v/12 amp charge rate indicated to the car
NEMA 14-50 - 240v/40 amp charge rate indicated to the car

additional plugs/adapters can be purchased for $45 each - https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-nema-adapters.html?sku=1014355-10-B

NEMA 10-30 - 240v/24 amp charge rate indicated to the car
NEMA 14-30 - 240v/24 amp charge rate indicated to the car
NEMA 14-50 - 240v/40 amp charge rate indicated to the car
NEMA 5-20 - 120v/16 amp charge rate indicated to the car (Bolt will still only charge at 12 amps - talk to Chevy about this)
NEMA 6-50 - 240v/40 amp charge rate indicated to the car

so while there is no direct method to adjust the AMP rating - it is indirectly "adjusted" based on what plug-adapter is currently attached to the Tesla UMC

as PB indicates however there is no what to adjust the charing session for how long or how many KWH to provide - that has to be accomplished by in-car software which Tesla provides but Bolt does not...personally I find hill top reserve to be more than sufficient to maintain my battery with out taxing it due to overcharging since it's well understood charging LiON batteries to full over and over is not good for longevity.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Sync it to your car WIFI if you have it?

What's really useful with the JuiceBox is the ability to (among many other features) set the charge limit. For example I keep it between 30%-70%
I don't have WIFI in the car. That is only on if you pay for OnStar. And I do a partial charge by looking when it says it will finish, on the dash, and unplug it early. Easy Peasy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I personally would rather Chevy not give me their stock L1 at all and take $500 off the price.

I can get 16A dual voltage EVSEs for $200 on FleaBay. And think MOST garage outlets are 20A nowadays anyways, for when I go to grandmas house.
20 amp @ 120 or 20 amp @ 240?

if it's 20 amps at 120 the bolt won't pull more than 12 amps on 120 volt circuit...

if it's 20 amps @ 240 the included L1/L2 Charger with the Bolt will pull 12 amps - but pull more with other L2 EVSE'S

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chevy is doing a dis-service to it's EV customers by not including/offering a well thought out solution for mobile L2 charging.
Remember, Chevy is keeping it under $37,495 so that after the $7,500 federal tax credit they can market it at $29,995!

So that's why the DCFC is optional AND no included or well thought out solution for mobile L2 charging.

They DO offer AeroVironment products, but at the end of the day, if we are going to pay for them, let the buyer make the best decision for his or her needs.

As for me, the 120v/240v 16 amp AV TurboCord (with adapters) was my best option.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
As for me, the 120v/240v 16 amp AV TurboCord (with adapters) was my best option.
So many of the plugged 32 amp Level 2 EVSE are small & light (even my Siemens VersiCharge @ 16 lbs) that I feel 24 range miles per charging hour is so much better than 12, and worth the cost.

·
Registered
293 Posts
20 amp @ 120 or 20 amp @ 240?

if it's 20 amps at 120 the bolt won't pull more than 12 amps on 120 volt circuit...

if it's 20 amps @ 240 the included L1/L2 Charger with the Bolt will pull 12 amps - but pull more with other L2 EVSE'S
I'm just saying that the long-standing code for garage 120V outlets is 20A circuit with GFCI.

So many garages should be able to handle a 120V 16A load. An ideal portable charger for 'garages in the wild' would be one that does 120V at 8/12/16 amps with a NEMA 15-5 plug, and can also handle 240V at 12/16 amps. The latter would work through adapters.

IOW, I just want something like the GM stock EVSE, but which has 16A as a option...since there are a LOT of 5-15 outlets out there wired for 20A (12 gauge wire), since its code.

The reason it DOESN'T have a 16A capability is that it would need to have a 5-20 plug (with one blade turned) for legal liability, and then users with 15 amp circuits would be SOL.

In practice, I can get a chines made EVSE with the above abilities for <$300, and put my own 5-15 plug on it. But I won't do that for the 33% speed improvement over the OEM EVSE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts