Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been doing some reading here as I am a new EV owner (2019 bolt).

I just purchased a ClipperCreek hcs 40 to mount at the house. It is no frills but the reviews look good and American made is sweet.

The question: I am looking for a good portable 240 EVSE with possibly 120 as well to only carry one. I like american made if possible. Nice size. Able to adjust charge rate to use different sized circuits.

thoughts?

Thank you
Ryan

Edit: Spell ClipperCreek correctly.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The one that came with the car can run off 240V if you get an adapter for it. You already own it and it's made by clippercreek (not even crippled). The fact that it only runs at 12 amps is a bonus, because it would work with any circuit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What XJ12 said is right. I chose a slightly different tack. In 2017 I purchased the Siemens VersiCharge (240 VAC; 30 amp; wall-mounted; plugged {NEMA 6-50}; 20' J-1772 cable; <12 lbs.; no WiFi controls). In the garage I ran a 240 VAC line from the breaker box to a NEMA 6-50 outlet I installed about 2' away. I also made a short (10') adapter cable with a NEMA 14-50 plug, 10-2/wg cable and a NEMA 6-50 outlet in a weather-protected box. All RV parks and all KoA Kampgrounds have NEMA 14-50 outlets & 240 VAC current. When there are no EVSE in a location to which I must travel, but a NEMA 14-50 outlet exists, I carry my VersiCharge and get my AC Level 2 charge (24 rmpch {range miles per charging hour}). I have done this ~ 4-5 times and it has worked well. Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info. Oops on the clipper creek incorrect above.

I was/am a little nervous with the one that came with it as it just says 120 on the back of it. It is pretty neat knowing clipper creek made it.

Yes I plan to have the 14-50 connector available just in case.

This has been a whole new world of cars to me. A whole 5 days in I like it so far. Just trying to be prepared for some Christmas road trip through PA and have a good charger for my destination that charges faster than the 120 12amp...

I do appreciate the quick responses.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I was/am a little nervous with the one that came with it as it just says 120 on the back of it. It is pretty neat knowing clipper creek made it.
Yeah, I was a little hesitant using mine on 240V. So much so, that I took one of mine (yes, I got two) apart to look inside. My original intent was to rewire it permanently with a 240V cord. Thanks to this forum and its members, they convinced me to just go the adapter route. Even with all this info, I still closed my eyes when I plugged it in the first time. It worked so well, I have been using it for over two years now on 240V. Since I'm retired now, there's no need for me to even consider getting anything else. Maybe if we end up with two EVs, then I might reconsider. Or maybe they get cheaper in the future...

One route to completely future proof oneself is to go with the Tesla portable EVSE and get the adapter to convert the Tesla connector to one that works with the Bolt. That connector allows one to also use Tesla destination charger cords at hotels and such.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The one that came with the car can run off 240V if you get an adapter for it. You already own it and it's made by clippercreek (not even crippled). The fact that it only runs at 12 amps is a bonus, because it would work with any circuit.
The OEM EVSE runs at 12A, I think that qualifies it as cripple creek. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts